Photo

Starting A Franchise: Shaq or Magic?

46 replies to this topic

Poll: Starting A Franchise: Shaq or Magic? (22 member(s) have cast votes)

Starting A Franchise: Shaq or Magic?

1. Shaquille O'Neal (9 votes [40.91%])

Percentage of vote: 40.91%

2. Magic Johnson (13 votes [59.09%])

Percentage of vote: 59.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Tony Hoops

Tony Hoops

West like Jerry

• Owner
  • 15,840 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:21 AM

Who would you rather build your franchise around, Shaquille O'Neal or Magic Johnson?

#2 OFFLINE   source24

source24

Posteries.com Founder//Creative Director

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

Build around magic. He makes others better. Shaq is a dominant force, but he has too many pitfalls. Like not working out and keeping in shape, hack a shaq, free throw shooting, etc.

Magic brings unbelievable talent, vision, scoring ability, leadership, and a sense of professionalism that Shaq just doesn't have.

Both are great players, but Magic is definitely the one I would want.

#3 OFFLINE   MaddSkillz

MaddSkillz

The GOAT of H-N past.

• Members
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:43 AM

Shaq...

No disrespect to the greatest PG of all-time but a Center who can dominate both sides of the court is the key to winning it all, which is the goal in any sport.

It is more rare to have a 7'1" Center who can give you 30 ppg, 14 rpg and 3 bpg in the Finals than it is to have a PG get 13 apg...

Again not taking anything away from Magic.. And not saying that Shaq had a better career... But i think Shaq gives you a better chance at winning multiple rings than Magic does...

They both played with great players so it is really tough to judge how either would do without a talented team.

I don't know if there is a wrong answer... But again... I'll go with the BEAST in the middle. I think he does more things to help his team win.
  • Chief Shaqaho and The Future like this

#4 OFFLINE   MaddSkillz

MaddSkillz

The GOAT of H-N past.

• Members
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 02:46 AM

Build around magic. He makes others better. Shaq is a dominant force, but he has too many pitfalls. Like not working out and keeping in shape, hack a shaq, free throw shooting, etc.

Magic brings unbelievable talent, vision, scoring ability, leadership, and a sense of professionalism that Shaq just doesn't have.

Both are great players, but Magic is definitely the one I would want.

Huh? lol... Shaq was very talented... And scoring ability??? That was Shaq's strength... Shaq was easily the better and more efficient scorer... Heck he is the most efficient scorer of all time... Not sure if serious.

And i also question that Shaq wasn't a good leader.... He did make 6 Finals...

Plus Shaq has put up some of the best Finals appearances of all time.

#5 OFFLINE   Chief Shaqaho

Chief Shaqaho

HN's Rodney Dangerfield

• Members
  • 7,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 04:18 AM

Shaq...He Was That Dude To The Fullest Up Until He Got Too Far Out Of Shape & Declined.....

But We All Know The Story Bout Wilt Shutting Down Magic......

Who Has Ever Or Would Even Have The Ability To Do That To Shaq? To Win With Magic, U Would Need More Pieces Despite Him Being Able To Play 1-5...

Clips GM

1_medium.gif2_medium.gif

#6 OFFLINE   Airmax

Airmax

HoopsNationTV Crew

• Members
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 05:48 AM

Whats the point of an awesome center when you don't have a point guard to make a play or pass to him. I think I would rather start with someone that can make his teammates better and make important shots

HoopsNationTV Crew

#7 OFFLINE   Bball_Jones

Bball_Jones

baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood

• Members
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:12 AM

Magic

30mxxyo.jpg 33 3ub9c.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   Djoker

Djoker

Enforcer

• Global Moderators
  • 14,423 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:02 AM

MaddSkillz is pretty much bang on with the impact argument but it's important to realize that Shaq probably won't stay with your team his entire career because he will clash with teammates, coaches... That's what gives Magic the edge in my eyes.

If I have a guarantee that Shaq will stay with my team his whole career, then him quite easily.
  • Chief Shaqaho likes this

#9 OFFLINE   The Future

The Future

#RipCity #brehsquad

• Global Moderators
  • 27,260 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:30 AM

While both are great, i'd build around Shaq. Dude was arguably the most dominant player ever, unstoppable like no other and extremely valuable.

#10 OFFLINE   Chief Shaqaho

Chief Shaqaho

HN's Rodney Dangerfield

• Members
  • 7,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:32 AM

Whats the point of an awesome center when you don't have a point guard to make a play or pass to him. I think I would rather start with someone that can make his teammates better and make important shots

Not 1 Of Those Lakers Teams Had A Good Point Guard To Make Plays For 'Em...& He Still Dominated...Haha

Clips GM

1_medium.gif2_medium.gif

#11 ONLINE   Dash

Dash

HNL Co-Commish

• Members
  • 10,858 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Normally when you start out a team you want a dominant presence in the middle and Shaq is an ideal fit but Magic was flat out the best player of all time not named Michael Jordan. Gotta go with him.

#12 OFFLINE   MaddSkillz

MaddSkillz

The GOAT of H-N past.

• Members
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Oh... You mean like John Stockton, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Chris Paul... All of these great PG's who led their teams to rings?

Russell, Wilt, Kareem, Hakeem, Shaq and even Moses... When you have a dominant center like Shaq you win... It got to the point where Kobe wouldn't even pass Shaq the ball in L.A. and he still got his points off of offensive rebounds and passes from others... You don't have to have Magic just to be able to pass it to Shaq... I really lol'd at that.... You and I could be the PG's for Shaq and pass him the ball...

Magic played with Kareem and Worthy... Yes i know Shaq played with other great players too... Not saying he didn't... However Shaq would create space for his other star cause he was so dominant that other teams would have to double or even triple him... I really would like to know how many apg Magic would have averaged if he played with a bad team...

If you pass to Luke Walton... He shoots he misses... If you pass to Kareem, Worthy, Jamaal Wiles, Bob McAdoo, Byron Scott, A.C. Green... I mean what if Magic had to not only run the offense but also be the teams leading scorer? Would his team be successful? idk... He only led his team in scoring in 3 of his 13 seasons... I think if he was the primary scorer on his team then the #1 focus for the other team would be just trying to stop him and let the other players beat them... With Shaq it was ALWAYS try to stop him... Make others beat them... Even though Shaq had Kobe there was never a question about who the #1 was... Kareem and Worthy both have Finals MVP's playing with Magic...

#13 OFFLINE   MaddSkillz

MaddSkillz

The GOAT of H-N past.

• Members
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:44 AM

MaddSkillz is pretty much bang on with the impact argument but it's important to realize that Shaq probably won't stay with your team his entire career because he will clash with teammates, coaches... That's what gives Magic the edge in my eyes.

If I have a guarantee that Shaq will stay with my team his whole career, then him quite easily.

You don't know if Magic would have stayed without the players he played with... He may of had to pull a LeBron if a bad team drafted him... You don't know per say if Shaq would automatically leave your team... Certain things happened in each place to make him leave... Doesn't mean it would happen again...

#14 ONLINE   Dash

Dash

HNL Co-Commish

• Members
  • 10,858 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:46 AM

Oh... You mean like John Stockton, Gary Payton, Jason Kidd, Steve Nash, Chris Paul... All of these great PG's who led their teams to rings?

Funny that you leave out the point guard this thread is about, Magic Johnson, who led the Lakers to 5 NBA championships and 9 finals appearances.

#15 OFFLINE   Chief Shaqaho

Chief Shaqaho

HN's Rodney Dangerfield

• Members
  • 7,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

Funny that you leave out the point guard this thread is about, Magic Johnson, who led the Lakers to 5 NBA championships and 9 finals appearances.

Yes But Magic Was A 6'9 PG With A Hell Of A Supporting Cast...Hell, He Had The Most Unstoppable Move Of All Time On His Team...Kareem's Skyhook....Haha

& I Say That To Say That...U'd Need More Around Magic Than U Would Shaq....He Just Needed One Good Perimeter Scorer That Can Shoot.....& Everybody Else Could Be Role Players...

Clips GM

1_medium.gif2_medium.gif

#16 ONLINE   Dash

Dash

HNL Co-Commish

• Members
  • 10,858 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

And Shaq had Kobe Bryant, and it was clear that Magic was the best player on those Laker teams.

#17 OFFLINE   Chief Shaqaho

Chief Shaqaho

HN's Rodney Dangerfield

• Members
  • 7,468 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

And Shaq had Kobe Bryant, and it was clear that Magic was the best player on those Laker teams.

Shaq & Kobe...

Magic, Kareem, James Worthy, Byron Scott & Etc...Haha
  • MaddSkillz likes this

Clips GM

1_medium.gif2_medium.gif

#18 OFFLINE   MaddSkillz

MaddSkillz

The GOAT of H-N past.

• Members
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:17 AM

Funny you didn't quote where i said i question if he would be as effective if he had to be the #1 scorer his whole career... Only 3 times in 13 years he had to be... Matter of fact only ONCE out of his five seasons where he won it all was he the #1 scorer.... FOUR times he was not... Meaning the Lakers were more effective when he was the 3rd scorer... Again... If he had to be the #1 scorer on a team for his whole career i highly doubt he would have had anywhere near the same kind of success he did have...

btw no one is saying Magic sucks.... I even said in my first post that there is no wrong answer... Just my opinion on why Shaq is a better option...

#19 OFFLINE   MaddSkillz

MaddSkillz

The GOAT of H-N past.

• Members
  • 14,367 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:22 AM

I think people are just thinking "oh Magic is higher on my all time list so he is who i should take"...

#20 OFFLINE   Truth34

Truth34

Red Sox

• Members
  • 17,665 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

Magic, everything starts with the point guard

roindotip.gifrondop2.gif

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users