• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jay

Jay

On The Rise

• Members
  • 19,443 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Nothing here is written by me, just what I collect from different sites and this one forum. I will make a thread about the bigger news but still post a copy here.

Lakers Open To Attending Gilbert Arenas Workout

LOS ANGELES – Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak is awaiting word on details of a workout Gilbert Arenas is planning in Los Angeles later this week and is open-minded about attending, two people with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com Wednesday.

Kobe Bryant says right wrist is healed

BY KEVIN DING

Kobe Bryant told me after Lakers practice on Wednesday the torn ligament in his right wrist is completely behind him.

“I got through it,” Bryant said.

Los Angeles Lakers shooting guard Kobe Bryant.

MICHAEL GOULDING, THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

ADVERTISEMENT

When I asked him if he would use the term “healed,” Bryant said: “Yes.”

Bryant said he stopped using the pregame injection that would numb the wrist to pain two games ago in Utah on Saturday night. He then played in Philadelphia on Monday night without the supportive tape he has used all season on the wrist. Without the tape, Bryant can return to his usual shooting mechanics with full follow-through, which is particularly helpful to him on 3-pointers.

“I’ve got more flexibility on the shot,” Bryant said.

Bryant managed to be the NBA Western Conference Player of the Month for December and January, though the Lakers are only 14-11. Now they have Bryant, whose troublesome right knee is improved this season, feeling stronger and are about to get added stability from the return of guard Steve Blake from his rib injury.

“I experimented with no injection in Utah, and the next game felt completely fine,” Bryant said. “So, no tape, no injection. I’m good.”

Lakers show interest in PG Jonny Flynn

The Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks have contacted the Houston Rockets about the services of reserve point guard Jonny Flynn.

Both teams are desperate for a solid playmaker but interest from both clubs still remains in the early stages, ESPN.com reported, citing league sources.

The Knicks and Lakers have expressed interest in Houston reserve point guard Jonny Flynn. (AP Photo)

The Knicks have displayed the most interest and discussed a deal involving Renaldo Balkman and Mike Bibby. The offer failed to gain any traction with the Rockets.

Previous reports have linked the Lakers to free agent Gilbert Arenas and Cleveland Cavaliers reserve Ramon Sessions.

Lakers Open To Attending Gilbert Arenas Workout

LOS ANGELES – Lakers general manager Mitch Kupchak is awaiting word on details of a workout Gilbert Arenas is planning in Los Angeles later this week and is open-minded about attending, two people with knowledge of the situation told CBSSports.com Wednesday.

Steve Blake will probably return Thursday vs. Boston

The Lakers are finally getting some help at backup point guard, and it's coming from their own roster.

Steve Blake is expected to play Thursday against Boston after missing 13 games because of a rib injury. He took part in a full practice Wednesday and reported no pain. He is technically a game-time decision but sounds ready to go.

"Had a fun time," he said after practice. "I'm feeling pretty good."

Blake will wear a protective vest and what he described as a "bubble pad" on the left side of his chest to shield fractured cartilage in his rib area.

He was a tad worried about his conditioning after missing almost an entire month.

"It’s tough after sitting so long to be where you were," he said. "So it’s still going to take me time no matter what."

Despite Lakers' Issues, Kobe Bryant 'Obsessed' To Win Another Title

By MIKE BRESNAHAN, Tribine Newspapers

The Hartford Courant

8:22 p.m. EST, February 8, 2012
BOSTON ——
These are difficult days for Kobe Bryant.

He said he was "obsessed" Wednesday with slipping a finger into a sixth championship ring, but the Lakers (14-11) would hardly be termed title contenders.

Michael Jordan He seemed nostalgic, perhaps wistful, as he spoke after the Lakers practiced at TD Garden. They play the Boston Celtics on Thursday.

At 33 and with 49,282 regular-season and playoff minutes on his NBA odometer, it might only get tougher for Bryant.

"That's what I hear," he said. "Father Time will eventually catch up. It's not going to catch up this year. Maybe it will be next year. Maybe it will be the year after that. That's the kind of the challenge that I enjoy going through."

After this season, Bryant has two more years on his contract for $58.3 million.

Source: Celtics Show Interest in Rondo for Pau Gasol Trade

Rajon Rondo has been a hot topic of discussion this season.

There has been speculation of a Rondo for Chris Paul swap, and while that didn’t fall through, Celtics president Danny Ainge has said that big moves for the Celtics aren’t out of the question.

On Wednesday, an NBA insider reported that the Celtics have expressed interest for a Pau Gasol-Rajon Rondo swap.

The Los Angeles Lakers have expressed interest in a young point guard.

Lakers GM Mike Kupchak has made this clear. “Well, if there were a way for us to get a 25-year-old, All-Star, ball-handling guard we’d love to do it,” said Kupchak to Mike Trudell of Lakers.com. “But that’s not likely in February. So you look at other alternatives, and see if it’s better than what you have. That’s all.”

Rondo, 25, would thrive in LA and would put the Lakers back in title contention.Losing Pau Gasol will be a huge blow, but with the emergence of Andrew Bynum and receiving a stud floor general, the Lakers will re-emerge as a powerhouse and ultimately solidify the future of the franchise.

rsz_shraddha-kapoor-eyes.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   Airmax

Airmax

HoopsNationTV Crew

• Members
  • 4,086 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:25 PM

the rondo pau trade is so stupid for the celtics.. smh @ Danny Ainge
  • NBA in the STL likes this

HoopsNationTV Crew

#3 OFFLINE   Jay

Jay

On The Rise

• Members
  • 19,443 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 07:27 PM

A game for Kobe to remember — and to forget

By Jeff Zillgitt, USA TODAYUpdated

Reprints & PermissionsPHILADELPHIA – His first two points were classic Kobe Bryant: a turnaround baseline jumper. The ball circled the rim at least four times, like flushed water, before it went through the net.

It wasn't long before the Los Angeles Lakers superstar guard realized he had his shot going in the first half Monday against the Philadelphia 76ers.

And it was clear when Bryant scored 14 points in the first quarter that he was going to make a run at passing Shaquille O'Neal for fifth place on the all-time NBA scoring list in the first half.

MORE: Chris Paul leads Clippers past Magic in OT
MORE: Sizing up the MVP race and games to watch
PHOTOS: Top shots from the week in NBA action
Bryant needed 24 points to surpass O'Neal, his former teammate and occasional adversary and friend.

USA TODAY Sports on Twitter!
To get the latest sports news from USA TODAY, including game results, columns and features, follow us on Twitter at @USATODAYSports.
He was feeling it, that much was true. He made back-to-back threes in the second quarter, giving him 17, then 20 points. Two free throws gave him 22 points.

Sessions Would Cost Lakers a First Round Pick

By Gil Alcaraz IV, Yahoo! Contributor Network8 hours, 57 minutes ago

The Los Angeles Lakers desperately need a new point guard and the Cleveland Cavaliers have one that they're willing to part ways with. For the right price, that is.

Last week, a rumor surfaced that the Lakers were interested in acquiring Cavaliers point guard Ramon Sessions via a mid-season trade. Since the Cavaliers now have rookie Kyrie Irving, who has played sensationally since being drafted first overall in the 2011 NBA Draft, they were showing a willingness to ship out Sessions.

Now, the word around the blogosphere is that the Cavaliers want a first round pick in return for their young, promising point guard.

From Bob Finnan of the News-Herald: "Guard Ramon Sessions is expected to opt out of his contract after this season. He'd be seeking a multiyear deal. He's scheduled to earn $4.6 million next season. That's one reason you'll hear Sessions' name a lot in trade talks, as evidenced by recent rumors of the Los Angeles Lakers and New York Knicks inquiring about his services. The Cavs want a first-round pick in exchange for Sessions."

#4 OFFLINE   Jay

Jay

On The Rise

• Members
  • 19,443 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:05 PM

Kobe Bryant finds much to talk about with C’s, Lakers

Kobe Bryant touched on a number of topics yesterday, many related to the Celtics [team stats].

It is clear the Los Angeles Lakers star, who will face the C’s tonight at the Garden, has a great deal of respect for a franchise he’s rooted against since he was a child.

Thus spake Kobe . . .

On Paul Pierce [stats] moving into second place on the Celts’ all-time scoring list ahead of Larry Bird:

“I saw the highlights, and I thought it was great. You don’t see too many players stay with one organization as long as he and I have. We’ve both been very fortunate in that regard.”

On recent quotes from Bird praising Bryant:

“It means the world to me, because I looked up to him and his work ethic. I always viewed him as being kind of the staple of a blue-collar player that’s been blessed with a great deal of talent. And his determination, his motivation. I remember some quotes that I heard from Tommy Heinsohn describing Larry Bird that were very moving to me when I was a kid. And I said, ‘You know, if I can be that way, I feel I can be pretty good.’ . . . To hear him have that kind of praise for me means a lot.”

On if he remembers working out for the Celtics prior to the 1996 NBA draft:

“Of course I do. I remember being terrified of going to work out for the Celtics. I was such a Lakers fan growing up, I was like scared. Like, am I doing the right thing by working out with the Celtics? And then I’m in there with Dennis Johnson and I’m speaking with him and I’m just learning so much from him. It was a great workout, man. I had a blast.”

Steve Blake practices, game-time decision vs. the Celtics

Per Dave McMenamin, Steve Blake was medically cleared to participate in Wednesday's practice and will be a game-time decision for Thursday's game against the Celtics. A return to action basically coincides with the timetable for recovery from a fracture near his ribs.

"I've just been patient with it, trying to let it heal," Blake said during Wednesday's practice. "I really had no preconception of when I was coming back. I didn't know if it was going to be sooner or later. I really had no idea. To me, it's on time...[Practice] felt good. My rhythm is a little off, but that will come with time. Hopefully whenever I do play, I'll be ready to play and able to contribute."

Obviously, Blake's potential availability is a big deal. Not that the bench ran like a Swiss watch with him in the lineup, but he was nonetheless the best second unit play-maker, and by a long shot. That the reserves have struggled to do much in Blake's absence beyond feed the ball to Andrew Bynum or watch Andrew Goudelock generate his own looks is no coincidence, nor terribly surprising. With Blake back, the second unit offense will hopefully run a little smoother, and he'll hopefully add a few buckets to the mix.

#5 OFFLINE   Jay

Jay

On The Rise

• Members
  • 19,443 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

Jeremy Lin and NY Knicks 'Linsanity' won't distract Kobe Bryant from putting on show at Madison Square Garden

Kobe Bryant hates to lose and hates it even more when he bombs in the fourth quarter. So here he was the other night in Philadelphia — his hometown, for crying out loud — doing both in what amounted to a home game for the Lakers.

Before making his way over to his locker to offer a critique of the Lakers’ late collapse Monday, he was button-holed by a couple of Philadelphia basketball legends. Harvey Pollack, 89, the NBA’s historian emeritus who was at the Hershey Arena the night Wilt Chamberlain scored 100, presented him with a copy of his statistical bible. Then Sonny Hill, the dapper Sixers executive adviser and keeper of the Chamberlain flame, praised him for his choice of cologne.

Los Angeles Lakers (15-11) at New York Knicks (11-15), 8 p.m. (ET)

By Sports Network

The Sports Network

The flavor of the day in Gotham faces another tough test on Friday, when Jeremy Lin and the Knicks play host to Kobe Bryant and the Lakers at Madison Square Garden.

Lin has exploded from obscurity over the past week, averaging 25.3 points and 8.3 assists during a three-game winning streak for New York. Most recently the Harvard product recorded 23 points and 10 assists as the Knicks downed the Washington Wizards, 107-93, in the nation's capital on Wednesday.

Lin was making just his second career start for the undermanned Knicks, who were without stars Amare Stoudemire and Carmelo Anthony. Tyson Chandler recorded 25 points and 11 rebounds in New York's eighth consecutive victory over Washington.

"I do what I can to help the team win every time I step on the floor and I'm not really worried about proving anything to anybody right now," said Lin.

Anthony will remain on the sidelines tonight with a strained right groin, while Stoudemire isn't expected back from grieving the death of his brother, who perished in a car accident, until next week.

The Lakers, meanwhile, improved to 2-2 on their annual Grammy road trip last night in Boston, taking a hard-fought 88-87 overtime victory over the Celtics. Andrew Bynum's late tip-in during the extra frame proved to be the difference in that one.

#6 OFFLINE   Jay

Jay

On The Rise

• Members
  • 19,443 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

Bryant Hits Game-Winner, Lakers Edge Raptors 94-92

TORONTO February 12, 2012 (AP)

After leading by 18 points in the first half, the Los Angeles Lakers were staring at a four-point deficit with less than two minutes to play.

Metta World Peace wasn't worried about losing. He was trying to figure out how much the Lakers would win by. Having Kobe Bryant as a teammate gives you that kind of confidence.

Bryant hit a baseline jump shot with 4.2 seconds left and the Lakers wrapped up a six-game road trip by holding on to beat the Raptors 94-92 on Sunday, their eighth victory in nine meetings with Toronto.

"When you've got a guy like Kobe Bryant, you're always going to give yourself a chance," Lakers coach Mike Brown said.

Bryant, who scored 27 points, took an inbound pass from World Peace, evaded DeMar DeRozan and shot over the outstretched arms of James Johnson to deny the Raptors.

"I just noticed a spot open on the baseline," Bryant said. "Everything was set for me to try and catch it down there because I knew I could catch and shoot. If I go to the top of the floor the defense can kind of key on me and I'm far away from the basket. Once I noticed that space open it was just a matter of me trying to shake DeRozan and get to that spot."

• MJistheGOAT likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Jay

Jay

On The Rise

• Members
  • 19,443 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 12:53 PM

Kobe: Trade Pau Or Leave Him Alone!

HANG TIME HEADQUARTERS – Well, Kobe Bryant has apparently had enough.

He’s fed up with the Los Angeles Lakers’ front office and their handling of the trade rumors surrounding Pau Gasol, rumors that have been swirling since before Christmas.

With the Lakers suffering an ugly loss to the Phoenix Suns Sunday and Bryant’s mood darkening with every underwhelming performance by his team, he clearly cannot take it anymore. He lashed out at Lakers’ management and defended Gasol, who was almost traded in that three-team deal that would have sent Chris Paul to the Lakers that was later squashed by NBA Commissioner David Stern.

In a nutshell, Bryant wants the Lakers to either trade Gasol or leave him alone so he can play free of the foolishness. More from Mike Bresnahan of The Los Angeles Times:

“I wish management would come out and either trade him or not trade him,” Bryant said crisply after the Lakers’ 102-90 loss Sunday. “It’s just tough for a player to give his all when you don’t know if you’re going to be here tomorrow. I’d rather them not trade him at all, but if they’re going to do something, I wish they would just … do it.”

Bryant sympathized with Gasol, sprinkling in expletives while talking about the situation of the four-time All-Star.

“If they’re not going to do it, come out and say you’re not going to do it,” Bryant said. “This way, he can be comfortable and go out and can perform and play and he can invest all of himself into the game. You can’t have one of our pillars not knowing if he’s going to be here or not. Do something. One way or another, do something.”

Bulls coveting Lakers’ Pau Gasol?

By Mark J. Miller | Scoop Du Jour –

US PresswireThe Chicago Bulls have been informed by star point guard Derrick Rose "that he wants to play with Pau Gasol if Chicago is able to swing a trade with the Los Angeles Lakers for the veteran power forward," according to SheridanHoops.com. "He hasn't said so publicly, but he has made that known privately," a source tells the site.

The Bulls would send Carlos Boozer and another player to L.A. in the deal, the site reports.

Gasol nearly went to the Houston Rockets before the season got started as part of the three-team deal that would have had Chris Paul moving to the Lakers, but then Commissioner David Stern nixed that deal. Since then, folks have wondered if and when Gasol would be dealt.

However, Sports Illustrated has it that Lakers GM Milt Kupchak is saying that he may not make any deals before the trading deadline.

"Of course we'll talk to a lot of teams [about trades], like everybody else does, leading up until the trade deadline to see if there is a way to improve the team," Kupchak said, according to the site. "But the likelihood is that this is the team that's going to finish into the playoffs. That's just the way it normally works, but we'll see."

Derrick Rose wants Bulls to trade for Pau Gasol: Web links

Sidebars:

— Sheridan Hoops' Chris Sheridan reports that Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose told management he wants them to acquire Lakers forward Pau Gasol in a trade.

— The Times' Mike Bresnahan explains why Lakers guard Kobe Bryant remains upset with the front office on how they're handling the possibility of trading Gasol.

— The Daily News' Elliott Teaford highlights Bryant's demand that the front office clarify whether or not they plan to trade Gasol.

Game stories:

— The Times' Bresnahan documents the Lakers' ongoing road struggles in their 102-90 loss Sunday to the Phoenix Suns.

— The Orange County Register's Kevin Ding faults the Lakers' defense.

Arenas opens up after lengthy hiatus from league, media (Pt. 1)

When Gilbert Arenas pulled the plug on his "AgentZeroShow" Twitter account last September, he went dark in ways we hadn't seen since his fascinating rise and infamous fall.

He stayed out of the social media circle and out of the spotlight that caused him so much angst in recent years, and on Dec. 9, the Orlando Magic used their amnesty clause on the three-time All-Star. Arenas, who struggled in 49 games with the Magic after being acquired from Washington in December 2010, is owed $62 million over the next three years.

In his 10-month respite from the NBA floor, the 30-year-old Arenas is starting to become whole again, personally and professionally. He's returned to the court, most recently in a workout for the Lakers in Los Angeles, has shed more than 20 pounds since last season and has stabilized his home life with his longtime girlfriend and mother of his four kids.

Arenas spoke candidly with SI.com in a 90-minute interview that touched on everything from the ill-fated gun incident in the Wizards' locker room on Christmas Eve 2009 to the "downward spiral" it caused in recent years to his long road back.

#8 OFFLINE   Jay

Jay

On The Rise

• Members
  • 19,443 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:45 PM

Lakers upend Heat, Wade fouls out in second loss in a row

By David Leon Moore, USA TODAYUpdated 19m ago Comments 5
Reprints & PermissionsLOS ANGELES – There was a masked man, but no marked man.

When the Miami Heat stepped into Staples Center on Sunday to take on the Los Angeles Lakers, the only ones hard on Miami guard Dwyane Wade for his hard foul on Kobe Bryant in the All-Star Game were Lakers fans, who booed him throughout the game.

But after a week in which a couple of Bryant's teammates indicated their unhappiness with Wade's foul, the only Laker to go after Wade was Bryant himself — with basketball moves.

Kobe Bryant's 33 power Lakers past Dwyane Wade, Heat

LOS ANGELES -- Although Kobe Bryant hates to disappoint everybody who thinks his 33-point performance in a win over the Miami Heat was payback to Dwyane Wade for breaking his nose in the All-Star Game a week ago, that particular Hollywood fable just isn't true.

"He knew I was going to be ready regardless," Bryant said.

Yet the legend of the "Masked Mamba" will only grow after the Los Angeles Lakers finally struck a few blows of their own in this previously one-sided matchup with mighty Miami.

Bryant produced his third straight dynamic 30-point game while wearing a clear protective mask over his still-tender nose, while Wade managed just 16 points before fouling out midway through the fourth quarter of the Lakers' 93-83 victory Sunday.

Metta World Peace scored 17 points while leading a solid defensive effort for the Lakers, who have won 17 of their last 18 home games and eight of 10 overall. Andrew Bynum had 16 points and 13 rebounds as Los Angeles never trailed in the final 44 minutes against Miami, snapping a four-game skid in Bryant's head-to-head matchups with Wade's Heat.

#9 OFFLINE   MJistheGOAT

MJistheGOAT

#MJistheGOAT

• Banned
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:26 AM

GO LAKERS!!!
Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   DC™ Lakers

DC™ Lakers

Rookie