Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do the dunk contest get worse every year?

24 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I've seen that on Twitter, Facebook etc.

A lot of people have said this dunk contest was the worst ever but people have said the same thing last year complaining about everything

So what do you guys think? Are the dunk contests getting worse every year?

Posted · Report post

yes, the one yesterday didnt even compare to the ones back in the day with Michael and Dominique

Posted · Report post

The Dunk Contests from 2004---- are only getting worse...

There are pretty much same dunks, we need something special!!!!!!

We need- LeBron, Rose,Westbrook,Wall, DeRozan!

Posted · Report post

No, people are just idiots. Players nowadays are more athletic and they take that for granted... they can't enjoy a contest without either "Only a 360 windmill? YAWN" or "I don't care if he had 12 misses then just did a layup, my favourite player was robbed man!"

This year's wasn't anything special but still had some nice stuff. Last year's was one of my favourites ever.

Truth34 likes this

Posted · Report post

I thought the 2011 contest was pretty decent.. last night was terrible IMO. I've never even heard of Jeremy Evans before the contest, who the hell is that?

Posted · Report post

I thought the 2011 contest was pretty decent.. last night was terrible IMO. I've never even heard of Jeremy Evans before the contest, who the hell is that?

This is another problem.

Too often the more casual fan just wants big names rather than appreciating decent dunks

Posted · Report post

Because its all about popularity and gimmicks. If it was all about dunking then Gerald Green should have been in it.

Posted · Report post

I like they gone Vintage also prefer original stuff like George's light dunk rather than shit like bringing bikes, cars. Jumping over people is getting kinda boring but aslong as they give a good show it's fine. Budinger honored the movie and Evans did same with Malone rather make a winner to a dunk with effort on what he's doing than a simple oop over a car.

Posted · Report post

Yeah i like the throwback dunks too, originality is overrated. For example some great songs today were inpired from old songs, its all about how you perform it and make it your own version. Like alot of ppl have done free throw dunks, but MJs free throw dunk was the best version because of the way he did it.

Posted · Report post

This is another problem.

Too often the more casual fan just wants big names rather than appreciating decent dunks

exactly I would rather have a young upcoming unknown Paul George then a bad hairline in the rim from LBJ

Posted · Report post

This is another problem.

The dunks weren't that impressive.. I don't care who did them. My point about Evans is, why the hell was he in the contest? Its not like he is some kind of super dunker or something. Is he really the only guy the NBA could get to do it? If they wanted random scrubs who are good at nothing but dunking to put on a show, they should just call up Gerald Green or James White and get them on the contest.

Posted · Report post

The problem is each year it's more difficult to impress the audience with the dunks, jumping over someone not interesting for them, all those creative thingys also not interesting, people gotta realise a basketball player is a human this is not some nba street type of thing or something no one's gonna do so some 1080 dunk or something, this is not a video game, plus this is a professional basketball league where players are busy besides just trying to think of some outstanding dunks and do the training, this season's schedule is also very difficult, you wanna see dunks watch teamflightbrothers and stuff like that where those people concentrate on dunking.

Penny likes this

Posted · Report post

No, people are just idiots. Players nowadays are more athletic and they take that for granted... they can't enjoy a contest without either "Only a 360 windmill? YAWN" or "I don't care if he had 12 misses then just did a layup, my favourite player was robbed man!"

This year's wasn't anything special but still had some nice stuff. Last year's was one of my favourites ever.

Word.

Posted · Report post

The dunks weren't that impressive.. I don't care who did them. My point about Evans is, why the hell was he in the contest? Its not like he is some kind of super dunker or something. Is he really the only guy the NBA could get to do it? If they wanted random scrubs who are good at nothing but dunking to put on a show, they should just call up Gerald Green or James White and get them on the contest.

I get this years contest wasn't that good... but Evans is a good in-game dunker and so of-course they would enter him into the contest, it's hard to tell if someone is just good in-game of if they're a decent dunker.

They have to be NBA players else it would get ridiculous. Teams would sign random streetballers to 10 day contracts just for the dunk contest

Posted · Report post

Because its all about popularity and gimmicks. If it was all about dunking then Gerald Green should have been in it.

Jeremy Evans is popular?

Posted · Report post

It was refreshing to see Jeremy Evans this year, we need to see more entries like him in the future - guys who aren't popular but are in it because they are in it because they can dunk.

Posted · Report post

Last night dunk contest was terible.Next year will be VERY VERY :turrible: if in dunk contest dont get Westbrook,Wall,James :)

Posted · Report post

I thought this year was decent.

I thought last year was good.

I thought the year before was pretty terrible.

Posted · Report post

This is another problem.

Its called All-Star weekend... not end of the bench player weekend... I like them having some young players like George or Williams in there, but they need to throw in more allstars like they did back in the day..

Posted · Report post

Its called All-Star weekend... not end of the bench player weekend... I like them having some young players like George or Williams in there, but they need to throw in more allstars like they did back in the day..

i agree, i do not want to see Jeremy Evans or Chase Budinger on all star weekend, and Chase is my dude too, i wanna see superstars like Rose and Lebron, hell even people like Wall woulda been good, he looks like a great dunker

Posted · Report post

yes, the one yesterday didnt even compare to the ones back in the day with Michael and Dominique

Exactly. Or Vince Carter's dunks in the dunk contests. Or even Dwight Howard's superman dunk or Nate Robinson's dunks. I do think it gets worse now. It wasn't that way years ago though