Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should College Athletes be Paid or Not? : Presenting Both Sides of the Issue

50 posts in this topic

Posted

It is honestly so stupid how it is illegal to even pay some funds for a player. When Wall was in college Callipari paid for his parents tickets and trips to watch John play. Cal got in trouble which is 100% bogus

Posted

It's called a student-athlete.

Posted

It's called a student-athlete.

still though they are putting there career on the line by going out there as slaves IJS maybe some recruiting money could be legal or helping out there family like Cal did

Posted

I think they shouldn't be paid. They're still student-athletes - student first. It's unfair for them to get paid.

However, I don't think there should be such stringent rules in place. They shouldn't be paid by the college, but if their coach pays for their parents tickets (as above), or they recieve payment for other basketball related events that aren't to do with the college, there's no way they should get in trouble for it.

The Future, Rog and Nina Barklartey like this

Posted

I don't think they should be paid as well. Great work.

Posted

Thanks for the read and comment everyone.

Posted

Nice article, great work! Dave, I think you should probably try-out for the Certified Writers team. I did before I was banned and I made it, but I'm much to lazy to re try-out again...Now that I think about it don't try-out because that whole team seems to have been really dysfunctional...

Posted

Nice article, great work! Dave, I think you should probably try-out for the Certified Writers team. I did before I was banned and I made it, but I'm much to lazy to re try-out again...Now that I think about it don't try-out because that whole team seems to have been really dysfunctional...

I am on the team.. i've been fot a long time i just don't have the certified writers thing.

I got accepted shortly after you were banned i was still a new member then. i had like 300 posts

Posted

Great work Dave-

I thank you for taking the time to write this and I think you did a fantastic job!!!!!

BTW, Tony has the current roster and you should have the title of certified writer however, I don't know if that follows you when you change your name or not...

Posted

Even though the top prospects really go to college to get recognized for the professional leagues, they're STUDENTS. They are STUDENTS at SCHOOL there to FURTHER THEIR EDUCATION. It doesn't matter what the players bring to the school, they're STUDENTS first, athletes second. They should not get paid.

Posted

Def should not get paid. Just like other students, they are their for education and not payment. Yes they may devote their time to Basketball and/or other sports but they should not get extra special treatment along with financial gains. That's just not fair to everyone else not on an athletic team

Posted

Greedy. Isn't an education enough? If you want to get paid work your but off and get to the nba

Rog likes this

Posted

First and foremost: Nice article.

My thoughts on the issue: No they shouldn't be paid for playing a sport. I mean just cause they play basketball or football or whatever doesn't mean they should get paid because they are students on the campus just like everybody else. If they were to be paid then that wouldn't be fair to the other students on campus. It would be as if college-level of sports was like a second professional league. So no they shouldn't be paid.

Posted

I don't think they should get a lot of money but i think they should get a share, like $1000 or somewhere in that price range, so all players can eat, pay bills and pay their car insuarance or whatever they may have. NCAA feels like College players shouldn't get nothing. They could get a free sandwich from Wendy's and the NCAA can say their receiving some kind of benefit. Which is 100% completely unfair in my opinion.

Posted

I believe they shouldnt be paid, student first.

Posted

I think they should be paid....

And don't give me that

STUDENT - athlete crap

Schools cater to them, give them easy classes, recruit for athletic skill not as students....

They cheat for them (like Auburn just got caught) to play

They milk them of money

Graduation rates for all sports are terrible

If the 'higher institutions of learning' don't care about the student part why should we pretend they are STUDENT - athletes??

For the major sports, in DI, its a fascade.....they are athletes at a school, but they are not students primarily.

If you don't want to pay them change the rules that make them graduate and hold the Colleges/Universities more accountable for the actual 'student' part.

Right now all they do is farm and milk the athletes and give them a 'scholarship'....which in and of itself has no value, it only has the value they put on it and the value of the education....

Since getting a degree in this economy really means sh.it anyhow....who cares that player X graduated out of Drexler as a student athlete...with a degree in basketweaving...

Yes NCAA you did right by that kid, now he will go overseas and play basketball or hustle the local ballcourts...

If you want to teach a man to fish so he can feed himself teach him to fish....don't just bring him on the boat, use him for his talents and then not focus on him learning...he does not get fed for life this way

DQuon and Team Player like this

Posted

No, why should they get paid because they make money for the college? If that's the case I guess academic scholars should get paid too for earning their college money and recognition.

Posted

I have read this article before but it was nice to read it again-

Although I do have an opinion on this subject- I am just going to keep it to myself at this time-

Thanks to Dave for his work on this article and to everyone for all of their comments following the piece!!

It really was good to read this again...

Posted

I think they should be fair. It's unfair for the school to be using them to get money, and then the player not getting any of the profit. And the notion about not all schools should be able to pay athletes, I think that if you can afford it you can do it. 

Posted

They do get paid though. They get a scholarship. 

Posted

Wow this has almost 10,000 views, old article surprised it's still up here.