Makaveli

Welcome to LA Randle

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

POPULAR

This article took a while to write..

Should College Athletes be Paid?

In the past year or two a new controversy has been going on about college athletes. Should they be paid or not? Many people have many different opinions on whether they should be paid or not. There are many valid reasons that argue both sides. What do you think? Well you will have to decide that for yourself after you read the facts.

College Athletes Should Not be Paid :

3356853793_84229fd7c2.jpg

There have been many people saying that college athletes should not be paid. Why do they think that? One of the main reasons people think College Athletes should not be paid is because that they already are paid. "College athletes earn free tuition, which over the course of 4 years can exceed $200,000" (Davis). $200,000 is a lot of money that is full-paid by the university. Now $200,00 is a large sum of money. These athletes are getting amounts around $200,000 (more or less depending on the college) full-paid by the university. Other students without scholarships are paying $200,000 and these athletes are going to college for free, this gives them a chance to go pro or even excel in their studies. These athletes are given multiple different chances in their life with sports and studies all for free.

Also, another reason people think they shouldn't be paid is because the athletes aren't here just to play sports. "The National College Athletics said, 'Student-athletes are students first and athletes second they are not university employees who are paid for their labor'" (Marty, Moss-Coane). Student-athletes are getting a scholarship because of their sports ability but they are still students who are there to learn. Most college basketball players don't have a big chance of making it to the pro’s. There is about 4,126 players in NCAA Division 1 Basketball, only 60 will make it to the pros, that is a small chance, and only 64 of the 346 Div. 1 Basketball teams are elite teams with elite players. If college athletes were to be paid only a few would deserve pay, and that can't happen since it would be unfair to other athletes.

Furthermore, the next reason people think that college athletes should not be paid is because they are given a chance, not 1 but multiple chances. The best athletes are given a free chance to make a guaranteed $450,000 at pro, and for those first round picks they get paid millions, plus the chance at endorsements. The next chance those college athletes are given is to excel furthermore in their studies, only a small percent of the athletes will go pro others will have a chance to study hard in college and get a good paying job, remember it's a full paid scholarship, most of these athletes know what their chances are at going pro.

College Athletes Should be Paid :

basketball-money.jpg

Not all people think that college athletes shouldn't be paid, many also disagree. There are also many reasons that these people think they should be paid and here is why. Many athletes in the past and present have been bringing in attendance and money to the university. "Ewing helped the university bring in more than $12,000,000 (a tripling of attendance, increased TV revenues, and qualifying for the NCAA tournament each year including three Final Fours and one National Championship). Patrick Ewing’s scholarship at Georgetown for four years totaled $48,600, meaning the university grabbed a net profit of $11,951,400" (Ens, Kaitlin). Patrick Ewing former NBA Star went to college in Georgetown and he brought in $12,000,000 Profit, i’m pretty sure that this was back when Ewing played back in the ‘70s that should be over $17,000,000 now. A lot of these college athletes such as Andrew Luck, Anthony Davis, Jared Sullinger, Robert Griffin III bring in tons of money for their university, people want to see these young college athletes play. Most of these athletes on big time teams put on amazing performances and bring the university millions of dollars, these athletes get paid a quarter of a million dollars at the most. The big time colleges now such as Kansas, Kentucky, Baylor, Duke, Michigan St all basketball, and Alabama, LSU for football grab millions of dollars each year. The athletes for those teams such as Austin Rivers, Anthony Davis, Thomas Robinson, Jeremy Lamb, Andrew Luck, and many more get scholarships worth $250,000 at the most.

Also, another reason people believe that college athletes should be paid is because some athletes are not getting paid from what others are benefiting from. It is obvious that big companies benefit from unpaid athletes. "The video game business is a multi billion dollar industry that uses college athletes in games without giving them names or credits" (Cassavaugh, Dan). That is a lot of money these companies are making, these athletes are not even getting recognized, these athletes don’t get a dime. Athletes should be paid for this, the athletes don’t get paid for all the money they bring to all these people. The Big Time Industries, The Universities, and all the other places that benefit from these athletes. College athletes are under-looked by all these people and do not get what they deserve. These athletes deserve pay for all the money they bring in. Athletes do not even get a penny from these companies who make millions or even BILLIONS of dollars from their popularity. These Athletes names are known by millions across the U.S. they buy these athletes gears with their name yet these athletes do not get pay.

As I've said these athletes names are known by millions of people across the U.S. and these people buy their gear. Kentucky could sell a Anthony Davis jersey for $120 yet Anthony Davis gets no cut of the money. Hundreds of thousands of fans buy these jersey’s, so let’s say 150,000 people buy a $120 Anthony Davis jersey, the university makes $18,000,000 (profit of a few million depending on manufacturing and workers pay) and what does Anthony Davis make? Anthony Davis makes nothing. Not even a penny.

Also, these student-athletes are being put on TV playing their sports and get paid nothing. The NCAA makes billions of dollars allowing Channels to put on College Games. Billions of dollars and the athletes don’t get the least bit of money from this. This is completely unfair for all the college athletes, these athletes should be getting paid at least a small portion of this. That little money could help these student-athletes families greatly.

Another reason why they should be paid is because a lot of these student-athletes do not come from places where education is advanced, a lot of the school systems are not good and some of these student-athletes do not have the chance to get the same education as others. That being said this takes out the second opportunity given, advancing in their education. Not all these athletes will go pro and not all will get a good job, that leaves them with a horrible future ahead, yet these athletes are bringing in millions of dollars to their universities these athletes deserve pay.

My Opinion :

FreeVector.com-NCAA-Basketball-Team-Logo

My opinion in all this is that college athletes should not be paid. It would not be fair to pay only some of the college athletes. "These athletes already have been paid. It's commendable that the NCAA has paid millions into a fund for in-need athletes to cover clothing, emergency, travel, and medical expenses. There's also a special assistance fund and a student-athlete opportunity fund" (Wilbon). The NCAA already pays so much money to the student-athletes giving them clothing, food, medical, and travel expenses. Not all the college-athletes play at a good enough level to be paid. If a few get paid they all should it would be unfair if they did not. If the NCAA payed these players then the NCAA would lose lots of money there are WELL OVER 5,500 college-athletes that need to be paid, the NCAA doesn’t have that kind of money to pay them enough that would go to their help. My standing on this is kind of neutral though, i believe they should be paid but a smaller amount.

My next reason stating why they should not be paid is that because some already are. The top-notch college-athletes get endorsements, shoe deals, and much more and get paid millions. Take John Wall for instance he got a shoe deal before he started playing in the NBA. There is no reason for these college athletes to be paid.

College Athletes are still young and don’t deserve pay, they are talented but they were offered to play at these universities, because they got full-paid scholarship and a chance at a better life they do not need a contract that pays them. If these athletes should be paid any money it should be no more than $100,000 on top of the scholarship, these athletes are becoming household names, they are becoming popular. Some athletes do not have enough potential to be paid. Where were some of these athletes before they got their scholarship? Playing High-school ball with an unknown future? Getting a $200,000 scholarship is more than enough these athletes got the chance to go to these amazing colleges they do not deserve extra pay like they are some professional athletes, they have to prove that they are worth getting paid. To prove they are worth getting paid they have to play, play hard to make their existence known or knowledgeable. The professional athletes now didn’t get paid they played hard and showed everyone that they deserved pay.

Sources :

Espn.go.com (Wilbon, Micheal)
Sportsillustrated.cnn.com (Davis, Seth)
Imprintmagazines.org (Cassavaugh, Dan)
Whyy.org (Moss-Coane, Marty)
Brandingirononline.info (Ens, Kaitlin)

• Nina Barklartey, MC_Muslim, Nabster and 4 others like this

#KD4MVP #JonBonesJones #WileECoyote #DamianFuckingLilliard #ReggieFuckingJackson

Posted Image

Braves GM - 180-84 franchise record

#2 OFFLINE   Brett

Brett

I Seek the Attention Within

• Members
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

It is honestly so stupid how it is illegal to even pay some funds for a player. When Wall was in college Callipari paid for his parents tickets and trips to watch John play. Cal got in trouble which is 100% bogus

#3 OFFLINE   LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Chicano

• Members
  • 32,963 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

they shouldnt even go to college
  • Jan_Sobieski™ likes this

29805413-funny-.gif

bImpO.gif

#4 OFFLINE   Gary

Gary

#Money

• Members
  • 13,206 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

It's called a student-athlete.
Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Brett

Brett

I Seek the Attention Within

• Members
  • 3,605 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

It's called a student-athlete.

still though they are putting there career on the line by going out there as slaves IJS maybe some recruiting money could be legal or helping out there family like Cal did

#6 OFFLINE   Penny

Penny

no quiero nada más sin vos

• Members
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

I think they shouldn't be paid. They're still student-athletes - student first. It's unfair for them to get paid.

However, I don't think there should be such stringent rules in place. They shouldn't be paid by the college, but if their coach pays for their parents tickets (as above), or they recieve payment for other basketball related events that aren't to do with the college, there's no way they should get in trouble for it.
  • Nina Barklartey, Rog and The Future like this

2q0kf2b.png

#7 OFFLINE   The Future

The Future

#RipCity #brehsquad

• Global Moderators
  • 27,265 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:03 AM

I don't think they should be paid as well. Great work.

#8 OFFLINE   Makaveli

Makaveli

Welcome to LA Randle

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 07:41 PM

Thanks for the read and comment everyone.

#KD4MVP #JonBonesJones #WileECoyote #DamianFuckingLilliard #ReggieFuckingJackson

Posted Image

#9 ONLINE   Kenny

Kenny

white ppl goat

• Members
  • 12,457 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:07 AM

Nice article, great work! Dave, I think you should probably try-out for the Certified Writers team. I did before I was banned and I made it, but I'm much to lazy to re try-out again...Now that I think about it don't try-out because that whole team seems to have been really dysfunctional...

2qtwd8g.jpg

#10 OFFLINE   Makaveli

Makaveli

Welcome to LA Randle

• Members
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:46 AM

Nice article, great work! Dave, I think you should probably try-out for the Certified Writers team. I did before I was banned and I made it, but I'm much to lazy to re try-out again...Now that I think about it don't try-out because that whole team seems to have been really dysfunctional...

I am on the team.. i've been fot a long time i just don't have the certified writers thing.

I got accepted shortly after you were banned i was still a new member then. i had like 300 posts
  • Nina Barklartey and Jan_Sobieski™ like this

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey

Bernard King 2.0

• Members
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:54 PM

Great work Dave-
I thank you for taking the time to write this and I think you did a fantastic job!!!!!

BTW, Tony has the current roster and you should have the title of certified writer however, I don't know if that follows you when you change your name or not...
Why do you love this game? :dribble:

#12 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers

• Global Moderators
  • 19,748 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 11:16 AM

College athletes get a free education, that's payment enough.

tumblr_ngf99a7TqA1r3mm52o1_500.gif

"Do I look like a normal person to you" - Kanbara

#13 OFFLINE   TGIA

TGIA

Look into my eyes, tell me what you see

• Administrators
  • 20,087 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:19 PM

I think they should be paid

These students lives are controlled by the sports they play, they barely have time to study let alone work or have a social life.

Tell an 18 year old to go to class, practice, then work, then come home and do homework and study. That's not easy to do, plus they are humans not machines, they wanna enjoy themselves too.

NCAA makes so much money from sports, I have no problem with them losin some profits. In my eyes I see it as fair for a star basketball D1 player to get paid but the backup punter in a d3 school gets nothing..that the way the real world works. I won't shed a tear for NCAA making less profits.

RixJyal.gif

#14 OFFLINE   Raza 10

Raza 10

Purrrr

• Members
  • 8,066 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:04 PM

Even though the top prospects really go to college to get recognized for the professional leagues, they're STUDENTS. They are STUDENTS at SCHOOL there to FURTHER THEIR EDUCATION. It doesn't matter what the players bring to the school, they're STUDENTS first, athletes second. They should not get paid.
  • Diamantidis is GOAT and Carolina Panthers like this

#15 OFFLINE   mcosaidkfweo

mcosaidkfweo

Certified Celtics Connoisseur

• Members
  • 868 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:19 PM

Def should not get paid. Just like other students, they are their for education and not payment. Yes they may devote their time to Basketball and/or other sports but they should not get extra special treatment along with financial gains. That's just not fair to everyone else not on an athletic team
Posted Image
My Youtube Channel My link

#16 ONLINE   Nowitzness

Nowitzness

Log horizon

• Members
  • 8,240 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

Greedy. Isn't an education enough? If you want to get paid work your but off and get to the nba
  • Rog likes this

#17 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT

DA GAWD

• Members
  • 8,367 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:12 AM

First and foremost: Nice article.

My thoughts on the issue: No they shouldn't be paid for playing a sport. I mean just cause they play basketball or football or whatever doesn't mean they should get paid because they are students on the campus just like everybody else. If they were to be paid then that wouldn't be fair to the other students on campus. It would be as if college-level of sports was like a second professional league. So no they shouldn't be paid.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Ivan

Ivan

G.O.M.D.

• Members
  • 7,660 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I don't think they should get a lot of money but i think they should get a share, like $1000 or somewhere in that price range, so all players can eat, pay bills and pay their car insuarance or whatever they may have. NCAA feels like College players shouldn't get nothing. They could get a free sandwich from Wendy's and the NCAA can say their receiving some kind of benefit. Which is 100% completely unfair in my opinion.

tumblr_mn8ldtVgyE1rq7h9oo1_400.gif

#19 OFFLINE   Rondo9Boston

Rondo9Boston

Rookie

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 07:39 AM

I believe they shouldnt be paid, student first.

rajon_rondo_sig__by_hairykiid_x-d33l4pn.

#20 OFFLINE   Ambod Lion

Ambod Lion

aka Ambodius

• Members
  • 10,354 posts

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:13 AM

I think they should be paid....

And don't give me that

STUDENT - athlete crap

Schools cater to them, give them easy classes, recruit for athletic skill not as students....

They cheat for them (like Auburn just got caught) to play

They milk them of money

Graduation rates for all sports are terrible

If the 'higher institutions of learning' don't care about the student part why should we pretend they are STUDENT - athletes??

For the major sports, in DI, its a fascade.....they are athletes at a school, but they are not students primarily.

If you don't want to pay them change the rules that make them graduate and hold the Colleges/Universities more accountable for the actual 'student' part.

Right now all they do is farm and milk the athletes and give them a 'scholarship'....which in and of itself has no value, it only has the value they put on it and the value of the education....

Since getting a degree in this economy really means sh.it anyhow....who cares that player X graduated out of Drexler as a student athlete...with a degree in basketweaving...

Yes NCAA you did right by that kid, now he will go overseas and play basketball or hustle the local ballcourts...

If you want to teach a man to fish so he can feed himself teach him to fish....don't just bring him on the boat, use him for his talents and then not focus on him learning...he does not get fed for life this way

• Team Player and DQuon like this
Basketball_Jones, on 31 May 2012 - 01:21 PM, said Bird in his prime was unfckwitable
Wanna read/hear my Sports takes? Go to www.gamesofinches.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users