Derrick Rose:I feel burdened by the attention that I receive

24 posts in this topic

Posted

Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose admits the celebrity status that goes along with being the biggest star in his hometown makes him uncomfortable and "doesn't fit my personality."

"Sometimes it's too much," Rose told GQ Magazine in a story posted on its website Tuesday. "Chicago isn't used to stardom. Back when Michael [Jordan] was here, everyone was used to actors and singers and people being at the games. But there's been a drought since then, and even celebrities, they'll stop here to film a movie and then pop right back out. They don't know how to act toward celebrity. So I always have someone with me. I can have a hat on, glasses on, whatever. People still notice me. If I go outside without a hat on, I feel like I'm naked.

"... This life doesn't fit my personality."

Rose, who won two state titles at Simeon Career Academy in Chicago, played one season at Memphis before his hometown Bulls made him the No. 1 pick in the 2008 NBA draft. The quiet and reserved point guard experienced immediate success, winning Rookie of the Year and leading the Bulls to the playoffs. His profile -- locally and nationally -- has risen each year since with three NBA All-Star Game appearances, an impressive performance with Team USA in 2010, a 14-year endorsement deal with adidas worth a reported $250 million and an NBA MVP award last season at 22, making him the youngest recipient of the award in history.

Rose told GQ that the more success he has on the court, the tougher it gets for him to deal with his fame.

"Don't get me wrong, I don't take anything for granted," Rose, who signed a five-year contract extension worth as much as $95 million in December, told GQ. "But it seems like the better I play, the more attention I get. And I can't get away from it. You play great, you get attention. But I hate attention. It is weird. I'm in a bind. The more you win, the more they come."

Via ESPN Chicago

Rose can't handle the fouls or the fame?

Posted

that boi doing that kid cudi better to be broke then rich

Posted

True I Understand How He Feels But That's What Comes With Being a Famous Basketball Player.

Posted

Hard fouls come with being a basketball player. Fame comes with being a professional basketball player. All in the fine print on that contract he signed.

Can't tell if he is trying to be humble or whine.... Either way, that humbleness comes across as whining to me.

Jay and Motion like this

Posted

rose is a humble dude that just wants to ball out and win games...he dont care about the hollywood shit...dont see how ppl cant respect that....but yeah thats what comes with being a great basketball player

LakerNation likes this

Posted

I almost can imagine what hes feeling, must be tough having the whole city of Chicago waiting for you to bring a title

Posted

Rose is just a humble, quiet guy. Hey, if you win the MVP, expect to get some recognition.

Posted

Once again...he's just being honest and answering (the questions that reporters/media ask him) questions honestly.

If people can't respect that, then that's their fault.

Posted

Ross doesn't talk a lot... But when he does he pisses me off.

its like you read my mind

Posted

I would probably be the same way. Don't really like attention. Rose is so humble, which is why he's one of my favorite players.

Posted

To me, if he was trying to be humble, he should have went about it in a different way. Because the way he said it, to me, sounds like whining.

Posted

I see where he's coming from. You can't even walk out of your house without a suite of bodyguards. You're constantly followed by media, paparazzi etc. It's not easy.

Posted

Its not easy, but it comes with the job. To me he sounded like he was whining. I don't see many other guys talking like this, granted some like the attention. But I am sure there has been several guys with similar personalities to Rose that hasn't "complained" about it. I don't know for sure if he was complaining, if he was I'd say that. If he wasn't he might need to re-think how he goes about saying some things because it can come across as whining.

Posted

I see where he's coming from. You can't even walk out of your house without a suite of bodyguards. You're constantly followed by media, paparazzi etc. It's not easy.

I agree but, you should know stuff like that comes with fame, don't complain about it.

Posted

I like Rose.

But like most athlete's he shouldn't talk. In fact, if your so turned off by the attention... why the hell are you talking to GQ?

Saying that junk just rubs people the wrong way.

Tebow Magic likes this

Posted

He's getting paid millions of dollars to play the sport he loves, of course there's gonna be a couple of catches lol

Posted

I think the 10-20+ million a year you make for playing basketball should outweigh the detriment of media/public attention Mr. Rose.

Still after rereading it he was just being honest and explaining that he doesn't like the life style so I cant really hate on that although at the end that little comment he made sort of rubbed me off.

Cmon dude... your in a bind?

Make 95 million playing basketball.... or be some random dude that no one knows and do something else?

Not a hard choice.

Jeez... its almost like he expects people to feel bad for him, lol.

Penny and Chief Shaqaho like this

Posted

Head to Charlotte

Ahahaha...I Fell Off The Couch On That 1

Posted

Actually, says that he doesn't like attention.

I wouldn't like it too.

He understands though that that's inevitable. He won't stop playing bball because of that, he's just saying that he doesn't like a lot of attention.

He's lonely person(I guess)

But damn, I noticed a lot of hate for Rose...

Posted

Rose if i had the attention you had i would bang so many fine bitches and hoes.

Posted

damn i wish i was in his place. i like rose cause but lately he's sounding like a cry baby griffin. like man you're in the nba. your name is up in lights. your face is well known. that's what you get for being one of the greatest athletes in the world. you're the reigning mvp and you expect people to ignore you? why don't you walk a mile in my shoes and find out how burdened my life is. the life of common mortals with everyday problems. i'm sure he forgot how that life is since he's loaded now. people would kill to be in his spot. he is living the dream of millions of kids and you can't stand a little popularity? people look up too you man. especially since you're playing in front of your home town and everybody from there knows you and are proud to live in your same neighborhood, you're a hero in their eyes, a good example for future generations. signing a couple of autographs and taking a few pictures shouldn't make you feel burdened. i appreciate that you're humble but i think you're exagerating now. stop being the victim. if they knock you down in games take it like a man. get back up dust it off and ball, you're a pro. it's what this game is all about.