• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Motion

Motion

Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• Members
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Chicago Bulls guard Derrick Rose admits the celebrity status that goes along with being the biggest star in his hometown makes him uncomfortable and "doesn't fit my personality."

"Sometimes it's too much," Rose told GQ Magazine in a story posted on its website Tuesday. "Chicago isn't used to stardom. Back when Michael [Jordan] was here, everyone was used to actors and singers and people being at the games. But there's been a drought since then, and even celebrities, they'll stop here to film a movie and then pop right back out. They don't know how to act toward celebrity. So I always have someone with me. I can have a hat on, glasses on, whatever. People still notice me. If I go outside without a hat on, I feel like I'm naked.

"... This life doesn't fit my personality."

Rose, who won two state titles at Simeon Career Academy in Chicago, played one season at Memphis before his hometown Bulls made him the No. 1 pick in the 2008 NBA draft. The quiet and reserved point guard experienced immediate success, winning Rookie of the Year and leading the Bulls to the playoffs. His profile -- locally and nationally -- has risen each year since with three NBA All-Star Game appearances, an impressive performance with Team USA in 2010, a 14-year endorsement deal with adidas worth a reported $250 million and an NBA MVP award last season at 22, making him the youngest recipient of the award in history.

Rose told GQ that the more success he has on the court, the tougher it gets for him to deal with his fame.

"Don't get me wrong, I don't take anything for granted," Rose, who signed a five-year contract extension worth as much as $95 million in December, told GQ. "But it seems like the better I play, the more attention I get. And I can't get away from it. You play great, you get attention. But I hate attention. It is weird. I'm in a bind. The more you win, the more they come."

Via ESPN Chicago

Rose can't handle the fouls or the fame?

MOTIONHOOPSNATION

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

Bateman

• Members
  • 10,951 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

POPULAR

Rose doesn't talk a lot... But when he does he pisses me off.
  • Penny, Djoker, Frosty and 5 others like this

patrick-bateman-card_zpseb5cad13.png

New card, What do think?

#3 OFFLINE   LikeABosh

LikeABosh

Chicano

• Members
  • 32,963 posts

that boi doing that kid cudi better to be broke then rich

29805413-funny-.gif

bImpO.gif

#4 OFFLINE   Counts

Counts

20 Qs 4 the Writer

• Members
  • 4,010 posts

Head to Charlotte
  • Chief Shaqaho and Ballin like D-Rose like this

#5 OFFLINE   MJistheGOAT

MJistheGOAT

#MJistheGOAT

• Banned
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:38 PM

True I Understand How He Feels But That's What Comes With Being a Famous Basketball Player.
Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Tebow Magic

Tebow Magic

• Members
  • 7,195 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:44 PM

Hard fouls come with being a basketball player. Fame comes with being a professional basketball player. All in the fine print on that contract he signed.

Can't tell if he is trying to be humble or whine.... Either way, that humbleness comes across as whining to me.
  • Jay and Motion like this
wVbgs_zpse17a24b7.png

#7 OFFLINE   Mirrors

Mirrors

TOPSZN

• 14,684 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:45 PM

That shy boi Rose

#8 OFFLINE   Poohdini

Poohdini

The One Who Knocks

• Members
  • 9,611 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

rose is a humble dude that just wants to ball out and win games...he dont care about the hollywood shit...dont see how ppl cant respect that....but yeah thats what comes with being a great basketball player
  • LakerNation likes this

iQGNLrtptj5Np.gifiABvnrIB8UpFz.gif

#9 OFFLINE   Young Gee

Young Gee

Idol

• Members
  • 12,912 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

I almost can imagine what hes feeling, must be tough having the whole city of Chicago waiting for you to bring a title

tumblr_n4v5gpX7NQ1rtequ6o1_500.gif

russell-westbrook-3-and-strut-game-4-aga

#10 OFFLINE   Flip

Flip

• Members
  • 8,602 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:50 PM

Rose is just a humble, quiet guy. Hey, if you win the MVP, expect to get some recognition.

#11 OFFLINE   Nabster

Nabster

d rs pls

• Members
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

Once again...he's just being honest and answering (the questions that reporters/media ask him) questions honestly.

If people can't respect that, then that's their fault.

derrick_rose_signature_by_sidthekid871-d

#12 OFFLINE   Savage™

Savage™

http://mastakushhoe.tumblr.com/

• Members
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:03 PM

Ross doesn't talk a lot... But when he does he pisses me off.

its like you read my mind

GhwRkYX.gif?1

"I thought school was wack, being cool was wack/And niggas thought I was cool, how cool is that?"

#13 OFFLINE   LakerNation

LakerNation

TankerNation

• Members
  • 4,143 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:02 PM

I would probably be the same way. Don't really like attention. Rose is so humble, which is why he's one of my favorite players.

rjeibs.gif

332nhc4.jpg

Follow Me On Twitter Subscribe: YouTube

#14 OFFLINE   Tebow Magic

Tebow Magic

• Members
  • 7,195 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

To me, if he was trying to be humble, he should have went about it in a different way. Because the way he said it, to me, sounds like whining.
wVbgs_zpse17a24b7.png

#15 OFFLINE   Djoker

Djoker

Enforcer

• Global Moderators
  • 14,295 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

I see where he's coming from. You can't even walk out of your house without a suite of bodyguards. You're constantly followed by media, paparazzi etc. It's not easy.

#16 OFFLINE   Tebow Magic

Tebow Magic

• Members
  • 7,195 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:14 PM

Its not easy, but it comes with the job. To me he sounded like he was whining. I don't see many other guys talking like this, granted some like the attention. But I am sure there has been several guys with similar personalities to Rose that hasn't "complained" about it. I don't know for sure if he was complaining, if he was I'd say that. If he wasn't he might need to re-think how he goes about saying some things because it can come across as whining.
wVbgs_zpse17a24b7.png

#17 OFFLINE   Motion

Motion

• Members
  • 7,613 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:15 PM

I see where he's coming from. You can't even walk out of your house without a suite of bodyguards. You're constantly followed by media, paparazzi etc. It's not easy.

I agree but, you should know stuff like that comes with fame, don't complain about it.

MOTIONHOOPSNATION

Posted Image

#18 ONLINE   Saint Nick C

Saint Nick C

MELANCHOLY MOOD

• Members
  • 7,897 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

I like Rose.

But like most athlete's he shouldn't talk. In fact, if your so turned off by the attention... why the hell are you talking to GQ?

Saying that junk just rubs people the wrong way.
  • Tebow Magic likes this

post-29393-Halloween-WHAT-THE-HELL-gif-B 

#19 OFFLINE   Penny

Penny

no quiero nada más sin vos

• Members
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

He's getting paid millions of dollars to play the sport he loves, of course there's gonna be a couple of catches lol

2q0kf2b.png

#20 OFFLINE   32Dayz

32Dayz

• Members
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:55 AM

I think the 10-20+ million a year you make for playing basketball should outweigh the detriment of media/public attention Mr. Rose.

Still after rereading it he was just being honest and explaining that he doesn't like the life style so I cant really hate on that although at the end that little comment he made sort of rubbed me off.

Cmon dude... your in a bind?
Make 95 million playing basketball.... or be some random dude that no one knows and do something else?

Not a hard choice.

Jeez... its almost like he expects people to feel bad for him, lol.
  • Chief Shaqaho and Penny like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users