36 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Swish

Swish

***NBA IN MTL***

• HN Members
  • 33,834 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:19 AM

Posted Image

It’s really hard to compare Kevin Durant to another player, because there is nobody quite like him — long, deadly on the catch-and-shoot but can attack off the dribble, and with a shot that is virtually unblockable.

The closes thing is Dirk Nowitzki — a 7’0” jump shooter with seemingly unlimited range and an unblockable shot.

So Dirk, what do you think of KD? (via ESPNDallas.com)

“KD,” Nowitzki says, “is way ahead of my curve….
“He’s a 6-10 guy with a 7-4 wingspan who can shoot it from the parking lot. He’s posting up now. In transition he’s so long that, when he gets a pass from the 3-point line, it’s a layup or dunk with one step. He’s got the one- or two-dribble pull-up, which you need to be a great scorer, because you can’t just shoot 3s or go to the basket if you want to be a great scorer, ’cause sometimes you can’t get all the way to the bucket. He can go both ways, one or two dribbles and up.
“And he’s clutch, too. He’s hit big shot after big shot all season long.”

Wow. That’s some serious praise.

It’s a little hard to compare the guys because Nowitzki is a four and Durant is a three, although neither really fit into any easy to define mold.

But Nowitzki is right — Durant is on a higher curve.

Nowitzki is no slouch — at age 23 he averaged 23.4 points per game, shot 47.7 [percent overall and 39.7 percent form three, with a PER of 24.1, plus he got invited to his first All-Star Game.

But Durant averaged 28 points a game (to lead the league) on 49.6 percent shooting, hit 38.7 percent on his threes, had a PER of 26.2 and played in his third All-Star Game.

And Durant may have his first title at 23. Dirk had to wait another 9 years. Just a different trajectory.

http://probasketball..._medium=twitter

demar_derozan_signature_by_egbdesign-d4z

#2 OFFLINE   iCM

iCM

#3hunna

• HN Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

KD is arguably the best scorer in the game today.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 OFFLINE   Swish

Swish

***NBA IN MTL***

• HN Members
  • 33,834 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:23 AM

KD is arguably the best scorer in the game today.

Not even arguable :)
  • jets2012 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   KingOfY!A

KingOfY!A

Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• HN Members
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:28 AM

Kevin Durant is a 6'10" (6'11.5" with shoes) with a 7.5 wingspan.

Tracy McGrady and Carmelo Anthony had a baby ; )
  • Big Nasty likes this
Posted Image

“You feed the crowd, and the crowd gives you this type of energy that gives you the ability to feel like you can do anything. I learned that from the late, great (Tim) Tebow.”

#5 OFFLINE   Ambod Lion

Ambod Lion

aka Ambodius

• HN Members
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Yea KD is the best scorer, he could probably drop 40 a night if needed/ if his team sucked.

He's efficient and could even play the 2 if needed. Who the hell is a 6'10 player that can play the 2??? (with a 7'5 wingspan I might add)

Haha funny I just posted those stats, and no Ralph Sampson and George Gervin had a baby....

No way McGrady and Melo produce a kid that istaller and more silky smooth than both of them lol
Basketball_Jones, on 31 May 2012 - 01:21 PM, said Bird in his prime was unfckwitable
Wanna read/hear my Sports takes? Go to www.gamesofinches.com

#6 OFFLINE   Swish

Swish

***NBA IN MTL***

• HN Members
  • 33,834 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:30 AM

Reggie Miller and Yao Ming..

#7 OFFLINE   iCM

iCM

#3hunna

• HN Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:36 AM

Wanda and Wayne Pratt... :cool:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 OFFLINE   KingOfY!A

KingOfY!A

• HN Members
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:38 AM

Haha funny I just posted those stats, and no Ralph Sampson and George Gervin had a baby....

No way McGrady and Melo produce a kid that istaller and more silky smooth than both of them lol

I'm comparing him to modern players, but if we're talking all-time Sampson and Gervin are excellent choices.

I'm referring to McGrady's 6'9 (with shoes) height playing against smaller Shooting Guards and not to mention his superior ability to score compared to Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant.

Lets just say McGrady is the robot, Anthony is the android, and Durant is the cyborg.

Reggie Miller and Yao Ming..

Reggie Miller had a better stroke and was better at the free-throw line.

The Yao Ming comparison is stupid, no offense.
  • Abdul™, Ambod Lion and Korv like this
Posted Image

“You feed the crowd, and the crowd gives you this type of energy that gives you the ability to feel like you can do anything. I learned that from the late, great (Tim) Tebow.”

#9 OFFLINE   Ambod Lion

Ambod Lion

aka Ambodius

• HN Members
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

I'm comparing him to modern players, but if we're talking all-time Sampson and Gervin are excellent choices.

I'm referring to McGrady's 6'9 (with shoes) height playing against smaller Shooting Guards and not to mention his superior ability to score compared to Carmelo Anthony and Kevin Durant.

Lets just say McGrady is the robot, Anthony is the android, and Durant is the cyborg.

Reggie Miller had a better stroke and was better at the free-throw line.

The Yao Ming comparison is stupid, no offense.

Heh interesting with robot, android, cyborg
Basketball_Jones, on 31 May 2012 - 01:21 PM, said Bird in his prime was unfckwitable

#10 OFFLINE   celtic fan

celtic fan

• HN Members
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

yeah Durant is the best scorer bar none. He has the touch, his shots look so effortless vs a guy who's not a naturally gifted shooter like LeBron.
Durant's ability to score within the flow of the team's offense means he has 25 pts and you didn't hardly notice it. He's got Anthony's post moves/ability to work in the paint and Dirk's big man's jumper.

just a treat to watch play.

t02snb_jpg_medium.gif

4SxShuO.png

#11 OFFLINE   KingOfY!A

KingOfY!A

• HN Members
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:41 AM

Heh interesting with robot, android, cyborg

Rep me :cool:
Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   KingOfY!A

KingOfY!A

• HN Members
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:44 AM

yeah Durant is the best scorer bar none. He has the touch, his shots look so effortless vs a guy who's not a naturally gifted shooter like LeBron.
Durant's ability to score within the flow of the team's offense means he has 25 pts and you didn't hardly notice it. He's got Anthony's post moves/ability to work in the paint and Dirk's big man's jumper.

just a treat to watch play.

When you have the physique and athleticism of a LeBron James shooting is not something they are not accustomed too because earlier in their childhood and High School playing days, they didn't need those things.

Kevin Durant is terrible in the post though... Carmelo Anthony is the second best Small Forward in the post (LeBron James).
Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   celtic fan

celtic fan

• HN Members
  • 5,468 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

When you have the physique and athleticism of a LeBron James shooting is not something they are not accustomed too because earlier in their childhood and High School playing days, they didn't need those things.

Kevin Durant is terrible in the post though... Carmelo Anthony is the second best Small Forward in the post (LeBron James).

Durant operates well in the paint, maybe not directly in post up situations but he has the touch to drop finger roles, baby hooks etc.
I think Pierce is pretty damn fine in the post as well with his superb footwork and touch around the rim.

t02snb_jpg_medium.gif

4SxShuO.png

#14 ONLINE   Sean

Sean

• 9,166 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:47 AM

Chuck norris and george gervin had a baby

#15 OFFLINE   KingOfY!A

KingOfY!A

• HN Members
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:50 AM

Durant operates well in the paint, maybe not directly in post up situations but he has the touch to drop finger roles, baby hooks etc.
I think Pierce is pretty damn fine in the post as well with his superb footwork and touch around the rim.

In the paint? Being damn near 7" and shooting over 6'8" guys is a great advantage, but it doesn't mean you have any post-moves at all.

Paul Pierce is good in the post area no doubt.

Chuck norris and george gervin had a baby

Bruce Lee and Michael Jordan had a baby.
Posted Image

#16 ONLINE   Sean

Sean

• 9,166 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:53 AM

In the paint? Being damn near 7" and shooting over 6'8" guys is a great advantage, but it doesn't mean you have any post-moves at all.

Paul Pierce is good in the post area no doubt.

Bruce Lee and Michael Jordan had a baby.

I can't top that

#17 OFFLINE   KingOfY!A

KingOfY!A

• HN Members
  • 3,178 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

I can't top that

Brian Scalabrine and Goku had a baby :cool:
Posted Image

#18 OFFLINE   Abdul™

Abdul™

I ain't a killer but don't push me

• HN Members
  • 8,414 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:55 AM

Durant is Dirk on steroids

#19 OFFLINE   Ambod Lion

Ambod Lion

aka Ambodius

• HN Members
  • 9,778 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:06 AM

Durant is Dirk on steroids

And more tan/ less hair lol

#20 OFFLINE   SportsFan93

SportsFan93

Frank Cornelius Jr. aka THE BOAT

• HN Members
  • 19,578 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, Dirk states the obvious, here. At 23,
Dirk was a PF stuck in a SG's body. Some say he still is, but not to the point when he was 23. At 23, he rarely attacked the rim or posted up. This is not the case now, or since Avery Johnson started working with him in 2005.

Anyways, Durant is bar none the best scorer in the league, easily. He's impossible to guard. Three straight scoring titles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users