20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:11 AM

POPULAR

Nikos Galis(from Georgalis) was born in Union City, New Jersey and was the son of Giorgos and Stella, two immigrants from Greece.

After taking up boxing in his early years, he turned into basketball because of his mother fear of her boy getting hurt!

Posted Image

Galis was a 6’0” and 177lbs combo guard who was known for his amazing scoring ability and his competitiveness.
He’s now recognized, by many, as the greatest European scorer in history.

He’s the greatest and most popular sports figure in Greece’s history and he was the reason that Greeks love(d) basketball.

College years
Nikos attended Union Hill High School and played his college basketball at Seton Hall University.

He was given more and more minutes in each of his 4 years in college and as a result, his production was getting better and better.
His averages in those 4 years in college were:
20.3 ppg on 50% from the field and 81.7% from the line, 2.3 rpg and 3.7 apg.

Posted Image

His senior year was his best(by far) as he scored 27.5 ppg(finishing 3rd in the nation behind Lawrence Butler and Larry Bird!) on 57.6% from the field and 82.6% from the line, 3.5 rebounds and 3.9 assists. In that year he scored his college high against Santa Clara with 48 points.

Nikos and Larry, that year, played together in the Pizza Hut All-American game!

Posted Image

Billy Raftery, his college coach, would later state that Galis was the best player he ever coached.

From USA to Greece
Galis’ next step was to play in the pros and probably in the NBA.

One of the main reasons Galis never played in the NBA though, was his agent Bill Manon who did not have Galis work out with any NBA team.

Galis was selected in the 4th round and 68th overall pick by the Boston Celtics in the 1979 NBA draft.
In Celtics’ pre-season training camp, Galis suffered a severe injury, so, the Celtics lost interest in him and replaced him with Gerald Henderson.

So, Galis not being able to play in the NBA, he decided to play in Greece and start his pro career from there.
Later in his career, while playing in Greece, he had offers from the Celtics and the Nets but he turned them down. He did so because at the time, FIBA did not have professional status(until 1989) so Galis wouldn’t be allowed to play for the Greek national team.

***Red Auerbach once said that the single biggest mistake he ever made in his career was not keeping Galis!

Career in Greece
The summer of 1979, Galis arrived in Greece in search of a basketball team.
Panathinaikos and Olympiacos made the biggest offers to Galis, money-wise, although Galis preferred Aris because he appreciated the way they contacted him and signed with the team despite them offering him less money than Panathinaikos and Olympiacos.

Posted Image

Playing with Jordan
In the summer of 1982, the North Carolina Tar Heels of Michael Jordan came to Greece for an exhibition game against the Greek NT, in Sporting’s arena.
The 25 year old Galis, playing according to his standards was more than enough for the 19 year old Jordan to say about him: “I think he’s superb, he’s a complete basketball player”.
As Nikos confessed later, during the game, Jordan teased him, saying “You’re bad”!

Galis and Jordan met again in an exhibition game for the “DIMITRIA” festival.
Galis , this time, scored 50 points against Jordan. MJ, totally stunned, said: “I really did not expect to find such a good offensive player in Europe, especially in your country”.

Well, thank you MJ…!
:cool:

Aris Thessaloniki
Galis scored 30 points in his debut and that was just a sample of what would follow.

He played with Aris for 13 seasons and alongside another Greek legend, Panagiotis Giannakis, they formed one of the best duos in Europe winning 8 championships(7 consecutive-3 undefeated) and 6 Greek Cups(4 consecutive).

Posted Image

His career high came in a Greek leaue game in 1981 when he scored 62 points.
The same year he scored his career high in European competitions with 57 against Venice in the Korac Cup.
He also scored 57 points in 1987 Greek Cup final.

Galis, along with his great teammates over the years, managed to lead Aris to 3 consecutive European Champions’ Cup(aka Euroleague) Final Four(1988-1990) but unfortunately they got eliminated in the semi-final in all of the 3 FF’s.

Posted Image

After a disappointing 1992 season and due to some other reasons, Galis was forced to leave Aris despite insisting to stay due to his love for the city and because he believed he could still offer to the team.

Panathinaikos Athens
Galis moved to Athens and Panathinaikos and as the captain of the team, he led, alongside a young Alvertis, Panathinaikos to the second place in the league(after being 8th the previous year-worst place in team’s history, still) and to winning the Greek Cup.

Next season, Galis, at the age of 37, led the Euroleague in both points(23.8) and assists(4.7) and he led Panathinaikos to the 3rd place of the Final Four(best position ever in team’s history till that time).
NOTE: Prior to the 1993/94 season, Panathinaikos’ owners, Giannakopoulos brothers, had agreed with Drazen Petrovic and he would join Galis!
Sadly though…

Posted Image

Prior to the 1994/95 season, Panathinaikos acquired Galis’ old teammate and aging legend Panagiotis Giannakis and the great Zarko Paspalj in order to win the Euroleague.
Galis led Panathinaikos to the second round of the Euroleague(top-16) with great clutch performances but his career ended controversially on October 18, 1994 when his coach Kostas Politis chose not to include him in the starting lineup of a Greek championship game.

Galis left the court and he never played pro basketball again.

Career statistics

Greek Championship:
1979/80 – 31.4 ppg
1980/81 – 44.0 ppg
1981/82 – 37.6 ppg
1982/83 – 36.2 ppg
1983/84 – 41.2 ppg
1984/85 – 37.1 ppg
1985/86 – 39.3 ppg
1986/87 – 39.7 ppg
1987/88 – 36.2 ppg
1988/89 – 37.7 ppg
1989/90 – 38.8 ppg
1990/91 – 35.3 ppg
1991/92 – 32.1 ppg
1992/93 – 23.6 ppg
1993/94 – 18.8 ppg
1994/95 – 12.8 ppg
Total Average: 33.5 ppg(12.849 total points) in 384 games played

Greek Cup:
Average- 35.2 ppg, Total Points- 1.935 Games- 55

European Cups:
Average- 32.9 ppg, Total Points- 4.807 Games- 146

BOLD NOTES:
~Galis, was reportedly a 60+% shooter from the field. You can find many videos on youtube that prove it. There is a game where he scored 50 with 21/28 from the field!
~In FIBA basketball, a basketball game lasts for 40 minutes.

Career with the Greek NT
Galis, probably, had his most outstanding performances of his career with the NT as he faced legendary teams, full of superstars, like the Soviet Union of Sabonis and Marciulionis, Yugoslavia of Petrovic, Kukoc and Divac and Brazil of Oscar Schmidt.

Posted Image

Galis, alongside Giannakis, Fasoulas(one of Shaq’s favorite international players!) and Christodoulou(one of the greatest basketball talents in European basketball history-never reached his full potential), led the Greek NT to the 1987 Eurobasket title winning Yugoslavia 2 times(first round and semi final) and Soviet Union once(in the Final) and named a member of the All-Eurobasket team and MVP of the tournament!

Nikos led the tournament in scoring with 37 ppg(Petrovic was 6th with 22.8 ppg).

In the group stage win over Yugoslavia, Galis outscored Petrovic 44 to 19!

In the semi final against Yugoslavia, Galis outscored Petrovic 30-22.

Posted Image

In the right next Eurobasket in 1989, Galis led the team to the silver medal as Yugoslavia destroyed every opponent in that tournament including Galis’ Greece(twice).

Greece had eliminate the Soviet Union in the semi final where Galis scored 45 against Sabonis’ team(Arvydas had 19)!

After the game, it’s rumoured(I don’t have an official quote) that Sabonis named Galis as the best European player.

In the Final against Yugoslavia, Galis scored 30 points, in a very tough night for him having problems guarded by a 10 inch taller Toni Kukoc but Drazen scored 28 and dished 11 assists.

Galis was named again in the all-Eurobasket team.

Posted Image

Nikos led, again, the Eurobasket in scoring with 35.6 ppg with Petrovic being 2nd with 30 ppg and Sabonis being 12th with 16.4(Marciulionis was 9th with 18 ppg).
~~the 3 European GOAT’s right there!~~

http://en.wikipedia....IBA_rules_games

Quotes by peers

Michael Jordan: “I think he’s superb, he’s a complete basketball player”
Michael Jordan: “I really did not expect to find such a good offensive player in Europe, especially in your country”
Drazen Petrovic: "I'd love to play in the same team with him so I can pass the ball to him to score!"
Drazen Petrovic: "If I'm the Devil's son, then Galis is the devil himself."
Aza Petrovic(1988): "Drazen is my brother, but I vote for Galis"
Arvydas Sabonis: "I have the feeling that if Galis wants to score a basket, he will score, no matter what the opponent does, nor who the opponent is. He is always determined to succeed."
Giorgos Amerikanos: "The man is a computer! He knows what, when, how and why he does what he does. I have not seen such self respect to a player before. He can, if he is certain, take a shot from the center of the court, having five players guarding him, despite a teammate of his being unguarded under the opponent's basket. If I had him next to me in AEK, there would be decades before we taste a defeat."
Audi Norris: "I have seen a lot of big players in my life, but what Galis did today (1987-88, Barcelona - Aris) can be done only by 2-3 players in the whole world."
Antonio Miguel Diaz(1990): "Come on, tell me the truth. Galis came with you. Where do you hide him?"
Bob McAdoo(1985): "What Galis and Aris did tonight never happened to me before. Not even in a Celtics game."
Bob McAdoo: "I've seen Galis doing things that I have not seen either Lakers or Celtics doing."
Vasilis Goumas: "If we played together we would score 300 points every game. He sees the basket as a barrel." ~~~Goumas is one of the greatest Greek scorers ever~~~
Yiannis Ioannidis(1986): "I warn you! When Galis won’t be able to fly as now, he will be the best play maker in Europe!"
Sergei Belov: "I admire him. When he plays one on one there is no way to stop him. I never thought there could be a player who could on his own give nightmares to and beat the Soviet Union."
Ruudd Harevaain(Holland coach): "I found a way to stop Nick. We will lock him in a hotel so that he cannot come on the court."
Aleksandr Gomelsky(former Soviet Union head coach): "Galis is the player of the 21st century."
An opposing team's head coach, during a pre-game press conference: "I found the way to stop Galis. I'll shoot him"

Posted Image

Career accomplishments
College
-Haggerty award: 1979
-Member of the Seton Hall Athletic Hall of Fame: 1991

Pro career
~Won 8 Greek championships: 1983, 1984-1991
~Won 7 Greek cups: 1985, 1987-1990, 1992-1993
~11 times Greek league scoring champion: 1981-1991
~8 times Euroleague scoring champion: 1986-1992, 1994
~Mediterranean Player of the Year: 1987
~2 European Player of the Year awards in 1987(Euroscar, Mr. Europa)
~World's 10th Best Athlete (a vote that included all sports and all countries): 1987
~4 times Greek league MVP: 1988-1991
~4 times Greek league assists champion: 1991-1994
~Euroleague assist champion: 1994
~Greek league all-time scorer(33.5 ppg)
~Greek cup all-time scoring champion(35.2)
~Euroleague all-time leading scorer
~Named one of FIBA’s 50 Greatest Players in 1991
~Member of the FIBA Hall of Fame: 2007
~50 Greatest Euroleague contributors: 2008
~Member of an 80 game winning streak in the 80’s
~63 points career high
~Holds 4 of the top-15 scoring performances in Euroleague’s history modern record era(1991-present)
~Scored 55 points or more, 10 times in his pro career with Aris and Panathinaikos
~In 1990, in a Saporta Cup game, he dished a career high 23 assists
~In 1993, in a revenge game against his former team, Aris, Galis shot 13/13 from the field and dished 19 assists

National team career
~He’s the top scorer in Greek NT history averaging 30.6 points in 169 games
~Galis was the top scorer in every major European and world international competition that he participated in from 1983 onwards, including 4 Eurobaskets and one Wolrd Championship
~At 1986 World Championship, he scored his career high(with the NT) against Panama as he nailed 53
~Won the Gold medal in two Balkan games with Greece in 1980 and 1986
~4 times Eurobasket top scorer: 1983 (33.3 ppg), 1987 (37 ppg), 1989 (35.6 ppg), 1991 (32.4 ppg)
~1986 FIBA Wolrd Championship top scorer with 33.5 ppg
~Eurobasket All-tournament team 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991
~Eurobasket 1987, MVP
~Eurobasket 1987, Gold medal
~Eurobasket 1989, Silver medal

Posted Image

• Djoker, The Future, Stefan and 9 others like this

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   djibrilaros

djibrilaros

Rookie

• Members
  • 284 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 03:48 AM

Nikos Galis The Greek God!!!!The best greek player of all times...The man who changed the way of play basketball in Greece and Europe!!!!

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

U1278-1346327018.png

#MVPFORGFXCAPTAIN

#3 OFFLINE   Stefan

Stefan

Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• Members
  • 6,378 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 05:04 AM

Amazing article!

Petro and Yugoslavia destryed everyone there!

#4 OFFLINE   Sacha's girlfriend

Sacha's girlfriend

Queen of the Court

• Members
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 10:06 AM

That's a great story
thanks

#5 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:51 AM

Amazing article!

Petro and Yugoslavia destryed everyone there!

Thank you man!
Happy you liked it!

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#6 OFFLINE   Bball_Jones

Bball_Jones

baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood

• Members
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:23 PM

I've read about Gallis, seen footage of him before, mainly because he was gonna be a Celtic at some point in time. Great read, Gallis was such a beastly scorer!

30mxxyo.jpg 33 3ub9c.jpg

#7 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

I've read about Gallis, seen footage of him before, mainly because he was gonna be a Celtic at some point in time. Great read, Gallis was such a beastly scorer!

Thank you!

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#8 OFFLINE   Geork7

Geork7

Hall of Famer

• Members
  • 718 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:59 AM

The best of the best! The best Greek and one of the best 3(if not the best) european players of all times!

#9 OFFLINE   Djoker

Djoker

Enforcer

• Global Moderators
  • 14,244 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:28 AM

Just saw this now...

Incredible player and awesome write-up! :clap:

#10 OFFLINE   The Future

The Future

#RipCity #brehsquad

• Global Moderators
  • 26,399 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

Amazing work.

He was a beasty scorer.

bGmrLYl.gif

#11 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT

DA GAWD

• HN Journalists
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 23 July 2012 - 12:06 PM

Nice Teo but diamantidis is still GOAT... :tongueout:

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT

DA GAWD

• HN Journalists
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

Nikos Galis(from Georgalis) was born in Union City, New Jersey and was the son of Giorgos and Stella, two immigrants from Greece.

After taking up boxing in his early years, he turned into basketball because of his mother fear of her boy getting hurt!

Posted Image

Galis was a 6’0” and 177lbs combo guard who was known for his amazing scoring ability and his competitiveness.
He’s now recognized, by many, as the greatest European scorer in history.

He’s the greatest and most popular sports figure in Greece’s history and he was the reason that Greeks love(d) basketball.

College years
Nikos attended Union Hill High School and played his college basketball at Seton Hall University.

He was given more and more minutes in each of his 4 years in college and as a result, his production was getting better and better.
His averages in those 4 years in college were:
20.3 ppg on 50% from the field and 81.7% from the line, 2.3 rpg and 3.7 apg.

Posted Image

His senior year was his best(by far) as he scored 27.5 ppg(finishing 3rd in the nation behind Lawrence Butler and Larry Bird!) on 57.6% from the field and 82.6% from the line, 3.5 rebounds and 3.9 assists. In that year he scored his college high against Santa Clara with 48 points.

Nikos and Larry, that year, played together in the Pizza Hut All-American game!

Posted Image

Billy Raftery, his college coach, would later state that Galis was the best player he ever coached.

From USA to Greece
Galis’ next step was to play in the pros and probably in the NBA.

One of the main reasons Galis never played in the NBA though, was his agent Bill Manon who did not have Galis work out with any NBA team.

Galis was selected in the 4th round and 68th overall pick by the Boston Celtics in the 1979 NBA draft.
In Celtics’ pre-season training camp, Galis suffered a severe injury, so, the Celtics lost interest in him and replaced him with Gerald Henderson.

So, Galis not being able to play in the NBA, he decided to play in Greece and start his pro career from there.
Later in his career, while playing in Greece, he had offers from the Celtics and the Nets but he turned them down. He did so because at the time, FIBA did not have professional status(until 1989) so Galis wouldn’t be allowed to play for the Greek national team.

***Red Auerbach once said that the single biggest mistake he ever made in his career was not keeping Galis!

Career in Greece
The summer of 1979, Galis arrived in Greece in search of a basketball team.
Panathinaikos and Olympiacos made the biggest offers to Galis, money-wise, although Galis preferred Aris because he appreciated the way they contacted him and signed with the team despite them offering him less money than Panathinaikos and Olympiacos.

Posted Image

Playing with Jordan
In the summer of 1982, the North Carolina Tar Heels of Michael Jordan came to Greece for an exhibition game against the Greek NT, in Sporting’s arena.
The 25 year old Galis, playing according to his standards was more than enough for the 19 year old Jordan to say about him: “I think he’s superb, he’s a complete basketball player”.
As Nikos confessed later, during the game, Jordan teased him, saying “You’re bad”!

Galis and Jordan met again in an exhibition game for the “DIMITRIA” festival.
Galis , this time, scored 50 points against Jordan. MJ, totally stunned, said: “I really did not expect to find such a good offensive player in Europe, especially in your country”.

Well, thank you MJ…!
:cool:

Aris Thessaloniki
Galis scored 30 points in his debut and that was just a sample of what would follow.

He played with Aris for 13 seasons and alongside another Greek legend, Panagiotis Giannakis, they formed one of the best duos in Europe winning 8 championships(7 consecutive-3 undefeated) and 6 Greek Cups(4 consecutive).

Posted Image

His career high came in a Greek leaue game in 1981 when he scored 62 points.
The same year he scored his career high in European competitions with 57 against Venice in the Korac Cup.
He also scored 57 points in 1987 Greek Cup final.

Galis, along with his great teammates over the years, managed to lead Aris to 3 consecutive European Champions’ Cup(aka Euroleague) Final Four(1988-1990) but unfortunately they got eliminated in the semi-final in all of the 3 FF’s.

Posted Image

After a disappointing 1992 season and due to some other reasons, Galis was forced to leave Aris despite insisting to stay due to his love for the city and because he believed he could still offer to the team.

Panathinaikos Athens
Galis moved to Athens and Panathinaikos and as the captain of the team, he led, alongside a young Alvertis, Panathinaikos to the second place in the league(after being 8th the previous year-worst place in team’s history, still) and to winning the Greek Cup.

Next season, Galis, at the age of 37, led the Euroleague in both points(23.8) and assists(4.7) and he led Panathinaikos to the 3rd place of the Final Four(best position ever in team’s history till that time).
NOTE: Prior to the 1993/94 season, Panathinaikos’ owners, Giannakopoulos brothers, had agreed with Drazen Petrovic and he would join Galis!
Sadly though…

Posted Image

Prior to the 1994/95 season, Panathinaikos acquired Galis’ old teammate and aging legend Panagiotis Giannakis and the great Zarko Paspalj in order to win the Euroleague.
Galis led Panathinaikos to the second round of the Euroleague(top-16) with great clutch performances but his career ended controversially on October 18, 1994 when his coach Kostas Politis chose not to include him in the starting lineup of a Greek championship game.

Galis left the court and he never played pro basketball again.

Career statistics

Greek Championship:
1979/80 – 31.4 ppg
1980/81 – 44.0 ppg
1981/82 – 37.6 ppg
1982/83 – 36.2 ppg
1983/84 – 41.2 ppg
1984/85 – 37.1 ppg
1985/86 – 39.3 ppg
1986/87 – 39.7 ppg
1987/88 – 36.2 ppg
1988/89 – 37.7 ppg
1989/90 – 38.8 ppg
1990/91 – 35.3 ppg
1991/92 – 32.1 ppg
1992/93 – 23.6 ppg
1993/94 – 18.8 ppg
1994/95 – 12.8 ppg
Total Average: 33.5 ppg(12.849 total points) in 384 games played

Greek Cup:
Average- 35.2 ppg, Total Points- 1.935 Games- 55

European Cups:
Average- 32.9 ppg, Total Points- 4.807 Games- 146

BOLD NOTES:
~Galis, was reportedly a 60+% shooter from the field. You can find many videos on youtube that prove it. There is a game where he scored 50 with 21/28 from the field!
~In FIBA basketball, a basketball game lasts for 40 minutes.

Career with the Greek NT
Galis, probably, had his most outstanding performances of his career with the NT as he faced legendary teams, full of superstars, like the Soviet Union of Sabonis and Marciulionis, Yugoslavia of Petrovic, Kukoc and Divac and Brazil of Oscar Schmidt.

Posted Image

Galis, alongside Giannakis, Fasoulas(one of Shaq’s favorite international players!) and Christodoulou(one of the greatest basketball talents in European basketball history-never reached his full potential), led the Greek NT to the 1987 Eurobasket title winning Yugoslavia 2 times(first round and semi final) and Soviet Union once(in the Final) and named a member of the All-Eurobasket team and MVP of the tournament!

Nikos led the tournament in scoring with 37 ppg(Petrovic was 6th with 22.8 ppg).

In the group stage win over Yugoslavia, Galis outscored Petrovic 44 to 19!

In the semi final against Yugoslavia, Galis outscored Petrovic 30-22.

Posted Image

In the right next Eurobasket in 1989, Galis led the team to the silver medal as Yugoslavia destroyed every opponent in that tournament including Galis’ Greece(twice).

Greece had eliminate the Soviet Union in the semi final where Galis scored 45 against Sabonis’ team(Arvydas had 19)!

After the game, it’s rumoured(I don’t have an official quote) that Sabonis named Galis as the best European player.

In the Final against Yugoslavia, Galis scored 30 points, in a very tough night for him having problems guarded by a 10 inch taller Toni Kukoc but Drazen scored 28 and dished 11 assists.

Galis was named again in the all-Eurobasket team.

Posted Image

Nikos led, again, the Eurobasket in scoring with 35.6 ppg with Petrovic being 2nd with 30 ppg and Sabonis being 12th with 16.4(Marciulionis was 9th with 18 ppg).
~~the 3 European GOAT’s right there!~~

http://en.wikipedia....IBA_rules_games

Quotes by peers

Michael Jordan: “I think he’s superb, he’s a complete basketball player”
Michael Jordan: “I really did not expect to find such a good offensive player in Europe, especially in your country”
Drazen Petrovic: "I'd love to play in the same team with him so I can pass the ball to him to score!"
Drazen Petrovic: "If I'm the Devil's son, then Galis is the devil himself."
Aza Petrovic(1988): "Drazen is my brother, but I vote for Galis"
Arvydas Sabonis: "I have the feeling that if Galis wants to score a basket, he will score, no matter what the opponent does, nor who the opponent is. He is always determined to succeed."
Giorgos Amerikanos: "The man is a computer! He knows what, when, how and why he does what he does. I have not seen such self respect to a player before. He can, if he is certain, take a shot from the center of the court, having five players guarding him, despite a teammate of his being unguarded under the opponent's basket. If I had him next to me in AEK, there would be decades before we taste a defeat."
Audi Norris: "I have seen a lot of big players in my life, but what Galis did today (1987-88, Barcelona - Aris) can be done only by 2-3 players in the whole world."
Antonio Miguel Diaz(1990): "Come on, tell me the truth. Galis came with you. Where do you hide him?"
Bob McAdoo(1985): "What Galis and Aris did tonight never happened to me before. Not even in a Celtics game."
Bob McAdoo: "I've seen Galis doing things that I have not seen either Lakers or Celtics doing."
Vasilis Goumas: "If we played together we would score 300 points every game. He sees the basket as a barrel." ~~~Goumas is one of the greatest Greek scorers ever~~~
Yiannis Ioannidis(1986): "I warn you! When Galis won’t be able to fly as now, he will be the best play maker in Europe!"
Sergei Belov: "I admire him. When he plays one on one there is no way to stop him. I never thought there could be a player who could on his own give nightmares to and beat the Soviet Union."
Ruudd Harevaain(Holland coach): "I found a way to stop Nick. We will lock him in a hotel so that he cannot come on the court."
Aleksandr Gomelsky(former Soviet Union head coach): "Galis is the player of the 21st century."
An opposing team's head coach, during a pre-game press conference: "I found the way to stop Galis. I'll shoot him"

Posted Image

Career accomplishments
College
-Haggerty award: 1979
-Member of the Seton Hall Athletic Hall of Fame: 1991

Pro career
~Won 8 Greek championships: 1983, 1984-1991
~Won 7 Greek cups: 1985, 1987-1990, 1992-1993
~11 times Greek league scoring champion: 1981-1991
~8 times Euroleague scoring champion: 1986-1992, 1994
~Mediterranean Player of the Year: 1987
~2 European Player of the Year awards in 1987(Euroscar, Mr. Europa)
~World's 10th Best Athlete (a vote that included all sports and all countries): 1987
~4 times Greek league MVP: 1988-1991
~4 times Greek league assists champion: 1991-1994
~Euroleague assist champion: 1994
~Greek league all-time scorer(33.5 ppg)
~Greek cup all-time scoring champion(35.2)
~Euroleague all-time leading scorer
~Named one of FIBA’s 50 Greatest Players in 1991
~Member of the FIBA Hall of Fame: 2007
~50 Greatest Euroleague contributors: 2008
~Member of an 80 game winning streak in the 80’s
~63 points career high
~Holds 4 of the top-15 scoring performances in Euroleague’s history modern record era(1991-present)
~Scored 55 points or more, 10 times in his pro career with Aris and Panathinaikos
~In 1990, in a Saporta Cup game, he dished a career high 23 assists
~In 1993, in a revenge game against his former team, Aris, Galis shot 13/13 from the field and dished 19 assists

National team career
~He’s the top scorer in Greek NT history averaging 30.6 points in 169 games
~Galis was the top scorer in every major European and world international competition that he participated in from 1983 onwards, including 4 Eurobaskets and one Wolrd Championship
~At 1986 World Championship, he scored his career high(with the NT) against Panama as he nailed 53
~Won the Gold medal in two Balkan games with Greece in 1980 and 1986
~4 times Eurobasket top scorer: 1983 (33.3 ppg), 1987 (37 ppg), 1989 (35.6 ppg), 1991 (32.4 ppg)
~1986 FIBA Wolrd Championship top scorer with 33.5 ppg
~Eurobasket All-tournament team 1983, 1987, 1989, 1991
~Eurobasket 1987, MVP
~Eurobasket 1987, Gold medal
~Eurobasket 1989, Silver medal

Posted Image

If the Celtics kept Galis the Celtics would've never lost to the Lakers and they would've won 5 championships and Galis would be a top 25 player of all-time and Larry Bird would be top 2 of all-time probably GOAT.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 OFFLINE   TheSwish

TheSwish

MVP

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:06 AM

One of the best ever to pick up a basketball. Always liked him better than Drazen....IMO Top 5 EU players ever

Posted ImagePosted Image

#MVPFORGFXCAPTAIN

#14 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

Galis is one of the nominees for this year's HoF class and he's a lock.

Only one player out of the international nominees will enter the HoF.

Last time I checked, Galis had 97.4% of the votes with Divac being second.
I don't know who voted (fans? experts?) but it's a legit info.

***One player who's overlooked AF (he's also a nominee) is Oscar Schmidt, who, IMO, was the best scorer of his era along with Galis (excluding NBA players).

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#15 OFFLINE   Young Gee

Young Gee

Idol

• Members
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 04:37 PM

Gangster? Hes white

tumblr_n4v5gpX7NQ1rtequ6o1_500.gif

russell-westbrook-3-and-strut-game-4-aga

#16 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT

DA GAWD

• HN Journalists
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Gangster? Hes white

Uneeded post.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 OFFLINE   Young Gee

Young Gee

Idol

• Members
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 09:15 AM

Uneeded post.

My bad

#18 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:02 PM

Gangster? Hes white

Vito and Michael Corleone were both white and they're GOAT. IJS.

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#19 OFFLINE   Young Gee

Young Gee

Idol

• Members
  • 12,891 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:06 PM

Vito and Michael Corleone were both white and they're GOAT. IJS.

TRUE

#20 OFFLINE   Bball_Jones

Bball_Jones

baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood

• Members
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:51 PM

Vito and Michael Corleone were both white

Or any other real person from the Italian or Irish mob... That post really didn't make sense though.

30mxxyo.jpg 33 3ub9c.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users