Why Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Has A Great Case Over Michael Jordan As The Greatest Of All Time

36 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I like Wilt's quote how secretly conceited it is

Posted · Report post

Jabbar was consistently among the leaders in points, won two scoring crowns and led five times in the playoffs too. He retired as the NBA all time leader in both regular and post season. He remained No.1 in the first.

A proof for that are the two most productive 30+ points seasons ever. There're more. Jabbar retired as the league's all time leader in scoring during both regular and post season while leading multiple teams in this aspect. He remained No.1 in the first.

I'm just pointing something out , I don't know if you meant to do that

Posted · Report post

Kareem is the GOAT scorer imho not only because he scored a lot of points and at high efficiency but because he did it in a way that benefited his team. When he had a season scoring 34.8 ppg on 57.4 %FG his team won 63 games!!

Also it's worth noting that since playoffs were shorter in the 70's his playoff numbers are greatly skewed by his runs in the late 80's when he was way out of his prime. He always elevated himself for the postseason and finals.

And as you said he came into the league as a complete player. He's the most NBA-ready rookie ever.

Great work as always! :clap:

Team Player likes this

Posted · Report post

Kareem isn't the greatest player ever or the 2nd greatest. IMO yeah you can bash on me, he is #6. He was without a doubt a great player but he had a good skyhook and that was it. Yeah he was a good rebounder, shot blocker, passer[for a center]. IMO he only has all these records beause he played for so long.

Posted · Report post

Good job there.

Kareem certainly has an amazing case for the best ever. He was fortunate enough to play almost till the 90's so he doesn't have people discrediting his early accomplishments, as they do with Oscar and Wilt.

I just want to say that imo, longevity is overrated in a sense that, it doesn't depends entirely on the player how long he'll play. Wilt for example. We all know that he was far more athletic and durable than Kareem and than any other player. Although, he had a mad streak of injuries in the late 60's and in the 70's that didn't allow him to play more.

I mean yeah, longevity increases your totals and the totals add to accomplishments, the accomplishments add to your career and your career adds to your greatness. BUT to me, longevity doesn't have to do much with greatness.

Has anyone ever "accuse" Russell for his short career in comparison with Kareem...?

Anyway, longevity or no longevity, Kareem is right there in the top with the very best of them.

Posted · Report post

Good job there.

Kareem certainly has an amazing case as the for the best ever. He was fortunate enough to play almost till the 90's so he doesn't have people discrediting his early accomplishments, as they do with Oscar and Wilt.

I just want to say that imo, longevity is overrated in a sense that, it doesn't depends entirely on the player how long he'll play. Wilt for example. We all know that he was far more athletic and durable than Kareem and than any other player. Although, he had a mad streak of injuries in the late 60's and in the 70's that didn't allow him to play more.

I mean yeah, longevity increases your totals but and the totals add to accomplishments, the accomplishments add to your career and your career adds to your greatness. BUT to me, longevity doesn't have to do much with greatness.

Has anyone ever "accuse" Russell for his short career in comparison with Kareem...?

Anyway, longevity or no longevity, Kareem is right there in the top with the very best of them.

Whaa... not getting injured is part of how good a player is.

If two players are about equally good you always take the guy who played longer. There really isn't anyone better than Kareem so him playing the longest gives him a great case for GOAT. Longevity is actually one of the main reasons I have Kareem > Russell.

I will say though that Wilt in particular got screwed by playing so many minutes. The mileage on his body when he blew out that knee in 69-70 was already astronomical even though it was only his 11th season.

Posted · Report post

Kareem isn't the greatest player ever or the 2nd greatest. IMO yeah you can bash on me, he is #6. He was without a doubt a great player but he had a good skyhook and that was it. Yeah he was a good rebounder, shot blocker, passer[for a center]. IMO he only has all these records beause he played for so long.

...Who is 2, 3, 4, 5 on your list by the way?

Posted · Report post

Whaa... not getting injured is part of how good a player is.

If two players are about equally good you always take the guy who played longer. There really isn't anyone better than Kareem so him playing the longest gives him a great case for GOAT. Longevity is actually one of the main reasons I have Kareem > Russell.

I will say though that Wilt in particular got screwed by playing so many minutes. The mileage on his body when he blew out that knee in 69-70 was already astronomical even though it was only his 11th season.

Even if that's the reason he didn't last more than 14 years, it's not his fault. It wasn't because of him. But anyway, I can't really say it's minutes the reason because there were many players, including Bill and Oscar, that were averaging something like 44 mpg. If you add Wilt's physical abilities... it can't be that.

@"Whaa... not getting injured is part of how good a player is."

Hmm, no it's not. By your logic, I guess Kobe has a great case of being better than Shaq...

@"If two players are about equally good you always take the guy who played longer."

I believe you. I'd do the same but what I'm saying is that it doesn't add to his greatness. He's still equal to the other player. It just improves his career accomplishments and totals. Somewhere here, our difference in criteria comes to the surface...

Posted · Report post

Jabbar was consistently among the leaders in points, won two scoring crowns and led five times in the playoffs too. He retired as the NBA all time leader in both regular and post season. He remained No.1 in the first.

A proof for that are the two most productive 30+ points seasons ever. There're more. Jabbar retired as the league's all time leader in scoring during both regular and post season while leading multiple teams in this aspect. He remained No.1 in the first.

I'm just pointing something out , I don't know if you meant to do that

Meaning he remained the all time leader in the RS. I didn't want to repeat myself consistently with the same thing. It's not nice.

Thanks for the read and comment.

I like Wilt's quote how secretly conceited it is

Kareem is the GOAT scorer imho not only because he scored a lot of points and at high efficiency but because he did it in a way that benefited his team. When he had a season scoring 34.8 ppg on 57.4 %FG his team won 63 games!!

Also it's worth noting that since playoffs were shorter in the 70's his playoff numbers are greatly skewed by his runs in the late 80's when he was way out of his prime. He always elevated himself for the postseason and finals.

And as you said he came into the league as a complete player. He's the most NBA-ready rookie ever.

Great work as always! :clap:

Debatable. Thanks for the read and comment. Oh, and Kareem had a terrific offensive arsenal.

Good job there.

Kareem certainly has an amazing case as the for the best ever. He was fortunate enough to play almost till the 90's so he doesn't have people discrediting his early accomplishments, as they do with Oscar and Wilt.

I mean yeah, longevity increases your totals and the totals add to accomplishments, the accomplishments add to your career and your career adds to your greatness. BUT to me, longevity doesn't have to do much with greatness.

Solid points. Thanks for the read and comment.

Posted · Report post

Meaning he remained the all time leader in the RS. I didn't want to repeat myself consistently with the same thing. It's not nice.

Debatable. Thanks for the read and comment. Oh, and Kareem had a terrific offensive arsenal.

Solid points. Thanks for the read and comment.

But what do you think, since Jordan is everybody's GOAT but really what puts Jordan over Kareem or vice versa

Posted · Report post

But what do you think, since Jordan is everybody's GOAT but really what puts Jordan over Kareem or vice versa

On what?

I liked this article a lot. Kareem was great. Good article.

Posted · Report post

On what?

Like why is Jordan better than Kareem or what is it that puts him over Kareem? Dominance? Accomplishments?

Posted · Report post

Like why is Jordan better than Kareem or what is it that puts him over Kareem? Dominance? Accomplishments?

Ugh.. it's super close between the two. Jordan's impact rivals Kareem's, despite being a two guard, a position from which is harder to put big numbers. Then, we have the greater level of elevating his game, the stats, better scoring and being a more all-around player. All of these are superb arguable.

I agree. Hes so underrated

No like?

Posted · Report post

Ugh.. it's super close between the two. Jordan's impact rivals Kareem's, despite being a two guard, a position from which is harder to put big numbers. Then, we have the greater level of elevating his game, the stats, better scoring and being a more all-around player. All of these are superb arguable.

No like?

True, welp thanks anyways and great article! When is the Wilt one coming btw

Posted · Report post

True, welp thanks anyways and great article! When is the Wilt one coming btw

In a month or so. Depends on how many articles I have before I start it.

Ben likes this

Posted · Report post

No like?

No

Posted · Report post

I gave u a rep

No you didn't :cool:

I was just playing with you.. tool :cool:

Posted · Report post

Nice!

Said this before, if I had to pick a GOAT I'll go with Kareem by a hair.