Photo

Five Who Could Coach Lakers

• Please log in to reply

#1 OFFLINE   ban me pheggets

ban me pheggets

1. Phil Jackson Could Kobe and Jackson co-exist once more?

The 11-time NBA Champion has the most history with the Lakers, and would undoubtedly be the most popular hire should the Lakers' brass put their egos to the side and get him to come back. Owner Jim Buss divorced himself from the triangle offense that won the franchise five titles when he hired Brown in the first place, and it's a likely reason why he didn't hire Brian Shaw, who was Kobe's first choice following Jackson's retirement.

For this to happen it would take a host of unlikely events to occur in succession, but it's so crazy that it actually makes sense.

2. Mike D'Antoni
There's no "Showtime" L.A. right now, and D'Antoni can bring it should he get the chance. He and Steve Nash had their best years together while with the Phoenix Suns, and if the Lakers want to continue to break away from their identity as a read-and-react team and become a better transition team, then he would warrant consideration.

Lack of playoff success and a roster that doesn't suit his teams' play style make this difficult to foresee. But if the Lakers want to continue to move away from their identity with the triangle and Princeton offenses, D'Antoni would be a good fit. He also has history with Bryant as a coach with the USA Basketball program.

3. Brian Shaw

If Bryant had his way following the Phil Jackson era, then it would have been Shaw, not Brown at the helm after the Lakers won their last NBA title in 2010. The continuity would have been there from the start, and Shaw is considered one of the top assistants in the NBA.

However, a hiring of Shaw would be a sign of the Lakers' management admitting they were wrong when they chose not to hire him, and it's another unlikely (but popular) scenario.

4. Jerry Sloan

Sloan coached the Chicago Bulls and Utah Jazz for a total of 26 seasons and had Jerry Sloan could be primed for a return to the NBA.a record of 2,024-1,221 for a winning percentage of .603. He is best known for coaching John Stockton and Karl Malone to back-to-back Western Conference championships in 1997 and 1998 and expertly running the pick-and-roll offense.

The Lakers happen to have two players who could run the pick and roll to perfection in Steve and Dwight Howard. Sloan has a winning pedigree and knows how to deal with stars.

5. Nate McMillan

The Lakers reportedly had Nate McMillan on their radar following Jackson's retirement. The former Seattle Supersonics and Portland Trail Blazers head coach has a career .510 record in 930 career games. He is familiar with many of the Lakers' players as an opposing head coach, and is a respected basketball mind.

No matter where the Lakers decide to go, the move is a complete surprise. All bets are off with respect to where they go from here and what direction they will go.

Free DeLaGhetto

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:25 PM

#2 OFFLINE   Kleeps

Kleeps
#HireStanVanGundy

lebron-james-photobomb-o.gif

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:30 PM

#3 OFFLINE   Void

Void
I hope Phil comes back.

I think D'Antoni would be a great coach for Los Angeles...Clippers.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:31 PM

#4 OFFLINE   The Logo

The Logo
  • Pls hire Byron

• 17,527 posts

I do hope that Phil comes back. If not him then Shaw. Fisher would also be a good option IMO. He's very familiar with most of the players whether playing with or against them and he knows their tendency. I also think with Fish that he would give Nash freedom on offense

HNL: Bulls GM
1 Championship, 2 Finals Appearances

GSL: Sonics GM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

#5 OFFLINE   Manu.

Manu.
  • Best In The World

• 6,762 posts

I do hope that Phil comes back. If not him then Shaw. Fisher would also be a good option IMO. He's very familiar with most of the players whether playing with or against them and he knows their tendency. I also think with Fish that he would give Nash freedom on offense

I heard, from a Pacers blogger, that Shaw laughed when asked about the job. Something like that.

icon.jpg

25-7

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:42 PM

#6 OFFLINE   The Logo

The Logo
  • Pls hire Byron

• 17,527 posts

I heard, from a Pacers blogger, that Shaw laughed when asked about the job. Something like that.

He may still be bitter about not getting the coaching job with the Lakers but I think he's willing to come back if Jackson returns.

HNL: Bulls GM
1 Championship, 2 Finals Appearances

GSL: Sonics GM

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

#7 OFFLINE   84DaysWithout

84DaysWithout
  • Dreaming about the lions...

• 1,692 posts

I’d be interested to see what Sloan would do with the team.

His bread and butter is the 2 man pick’and’roll – Stockton/Malone and Williams/Boozer – which would obviously be Nash/Dwight for the Lakers.
Then there was a third scorer off the ball. Usually a guard like Jeff Malone or Hornacek. But Sloan has used a stretch-5 as that in the role before with Thurl Bailey in the early 90s and more recently Memet Okur. Not sure who would fill that role for L.A.

My guess is that he’d play Gasol as that third option/floor spacer, and then rotate Kobe and Nash as the ball handler on the pick and roll. Gives the roster some flexibility depending on matchups.

Would be interesting, but Sloan is a bad fit personality wise. This team just needs a coach to get them organised and focused and let them play. Their talent will win games. Say what you want about Spo, but that’s exactly what he did for Miami. He didn’t try to control the play too much. He just focused on defense and outlets into transition, and the offence sorted itself out.

Shaw seems perfect, pity about the history.

Posted 09 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

#8 OFFLINE   Dedo™

Dedo™
  • ♥Tori Kelly♥

• 2,386 posts

I hope Phil Jackson gets the job. If not i hope Brian Shaw gets it but if not him then Nate McMillan or Jerry Sloan.

R1c71Ut.gif?1

Posted 10 November 2012 - 02:38 AM

#9 OFFLINE   Clutch

Clutch
  • Bleed Green

• 13,876 posts

If they get Phil, that's awesome for them. Dantoni is meh. It seems its going to be 1 of those 2.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome Guest!

Hello and welcome to our forums, Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. You may be required to register to be able to discuss and communicate with other members of our community.