Photo

My honest criteria for Lebron James to rank among the all-time greats.

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT

DA GAWD

• Members
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:38 PM

IMO it matters from now on how many championships and finals MVP'S that he wins. I'll take the reg. season in account a little bit unless he explodes or majorly declines. Only if that happens I'll take the reg. season/playoffs into account majorly.

For example: If he wins 4 championships and 3 finals mvps I'll see him as better than Larry Bird.

Why 4? Because he had previous failure in the finals that cannot be ignored. Or if he declines majorly in the reg season/playoffs or explodes/chokes then the 4 rings 3 finals mvp rule will change.

My criteria for him to reach the top ten: If he wins 3 championships and 2 finals mvps I'll consider him a top ten player of all-time. That is if he keeps up what he's doing now. If he declines the championship criteria will go up. If he explodes the championship criteria will go down.

Now last thing: If he wins 7 championships and 7 finals mvps I'll consider him better than Micheal Jordan.

Again thats if what he's doing in the regular season/playoffs stays the same. Basically if he continues on like this and he wins that many I'll see him as the greatest player to EVER play the game.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers

• Global Moderators
  • 18,739 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

He just needs to win. Plain and simple. Win so much that the 2011 Finals becomes completely forgettable.

tumblr_ndb7786b8s1r3mm52o1_500.jpg

#3 ONLINE   Bob Loves Ariana

Bob Loves Ariana

God Oh God

• Members
  • 11,601 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

Thats kind of high. If he wins 2 more titles and another MVP and keeps this level of play for 4 more seasons thats enough for me to call him the best.

tumblr_m46spfKyzj1rws698o1_500.gif

#4 OFFLINE   Tony Hops

Tony Hops

Baltimore Ravens Superbowl XLVII

• Banned
  • 1,158 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

Lmfao if he wins 7 rings he'll be the GOAT.
Give me an address I WILL COME TO YOU.

#5 OFFLINE   probskN

probskN

girl why u mufasa

• Members
  • 6,955 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

Let's see... LeBron is most likely going to get his 20,000th point this year (only 686 points away), so he's basically a lock for that unless he gets injured or something goes terribly wrong. He's #57 in Career Assists and 43rd in Points Scored. He's now in his tenth year, I think that if he keeps at this pace, he'll be able to reach 30,000+ points (maybe even pass Jordan) and he'll definitely have more assists than Jordan by a long shot (almost 3,000 more at this pace). While his career may end with better stats than Jordan, there is more that needs to be defined to really call him the GOAT. First, I think that he definitely needs to win more championships in his career, I think that 7 is a bit of a stretch, so, for me, 5 championships will do and anywhere from 3-5 MVPs. While that does sound impressive, I think that that's only bottom barrel, or the minimum, that he can do to maybe be in talks of "Is he greater than Michael Jordan?". Furthermore, I think that LeBron has to definitely win MVP of the league more than Michael Jordan. He's already at 3, and the amazing numbers he's been putting up since last year should easily ride him to a fourth if he keeps up the pace. If he plays the way he did last year for the rest of his career, I think that he will surpass Jordan in most categories and then some. He is no doubt an amazing player. Will he make the Hall of Fame? Yes, www.basketball-reference.com gives him a .998 percent chance to make the HOF. Will he be greater than the greatest basketball player to ever set foot on the Earth? Only time will tell. LeBron is no doubt the greatest player on the planet, but I'm still unsure of exactly how much, and if he can achieve that amount, it will take to officially call LeBron James the Greatest Player of All-Time.

#6 OFFLINE   LeBron Said™

LeBron Said™

3 Rings

• Members
  • 8,399 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

Why don't people realize team play has ALOT to do with winning championships?
  • Costel likes this

.2zzlx0j.jpg

#3Rings

#7 OFFLINE   The Logo

The Logo

Pls hire Byron

• 17,911 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:40 PM

To me, it's just a matter of him redeeming himself completely after the atrocious 2011 NBA Finals Fiasco. Magic had to overcome the "Tragic Johnson" stuff after he choked in '84. Hardly anyone remembers that now. Magic redeemed himself because of winning the next two straight finals match ups against Boston and had that game 4 hook shot in '87. Lebron doesn't have the luxury to face the Mavs with Chandler and Stevenson in order to redeem himself. He has 3 MVPs, a ring and a Finals MVP. To me, he has to win one more MVP and a couple of titles and be the best player on those teams to pass Larry Bird on the all time list. But to me, those championships have to be against Durant and the Thunder. Why? Because it would show that he'd have to outplay Durant and play against a team that is young and will give Miami a run for its money. In order for him to be known as the GOAT, for me, he'll have to win two more MVPs and six more championships and must be the best player in the Finals for at least five of those. Also he must go undefeated in those Final series. Why? Because he must prove that he is past the choker label and indeed that he is clutch. He is one of the most statistically dominant players that we have ever seen play the game. He just needs to win more and if he does win enough, by the end of his career, if he wins six more titles and five more Finals MVP and a couple more MVPs, Lebron James will be the Greatest of All Time in my book.

#8 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

James will most likely have a contending cast for at least 2-3 more seasons. If he manages to win 2-3 in 3 seasons his case becomes much better.

He'll win at least one more MVP IMO and he'll be the best player in the league for a good 5 years more IMO.
We can't just look at the rings though cuz your teammates are part of the equation. We should wait.

But people saying that James with 1 ring needs 1 or 2 more rings to surpass Jordan is so pathetic... that... weel, it's so pathetic. Period. Who ever says that should get a life.

Let's just enjoy watching this awesome player cuz in many years from now we'll say "I watched LeBron James play in his prime" or "I watched the whole career of James" and we'll feel privileged and lucky.

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#9 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT

DA GAWD

• Members
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

I do. Obviously he needs a good supporting cast. That's why I don't count 2007 against him.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT

DA GAWD

• Members
  • 8,358 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

James will most likely have a contending cast for at least 2-3 more seasons. If he manages to win 2-3 in 3 seasons his case becomes much better.

He'll win at least one more MVP IMO and he'll be the best player in the league for a good 5 years more IMO.
We can't just look at the rings though cuz your teammates are part of the equation. We should wait.

But people saying that James with 1 ring needs 1 or 2 more rings to surpass Jordan is so pathetic... that... weel, it's so pathetic. Period. Who ever says that should get a life.

Let's just enjoy watching this awesome player cuz in many years from now we'll say "I watched LeBron James play in his prime" or "I watched the whole career of James" and we'll feel privileged and lucky.

I know lots of things count. Not just championships but many other things that I won't explain right now. Oh yeah in about 2 seasons I think Wade is going to be out for the count so...

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Bball_Jones

Bball_Jones

baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood

• Members
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I'd say let us appreciate his talent right now and rank him when his career's over because in terms of talent alone he's one of the greats.

30mxxyo.jpg 33 3ub9c.jpg

#12 ONLINE   celtic fan

celtic fan

Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• Members
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

I think everyone who has watched the game for a while realises this. How come so many ppl discount that fact that if you're a top 4-6 player in the league you can greatly affect how well your team performs and your goal should be to win a title and a failure to do so affects your legacy?

t02snb_jpg_medium.gif

200.gif

#13 OFFLINE   LeBron Said™

LeBron Said™

3 Rings

• Members
  • 8,399 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:39 PM

I think everyone who has watched the game for a while realises this. How come so many ppl discount that fact that if you're a top 4-6 player in the league you can greatly affect how well your team performs and your goal should be to win a title and a failure to do so affects your legacy?

No. Obviously this sounds ridiculous because LeBron was on the Cavaliers.

.2zzlx0j.jpg

#3Rings

#14 OFFLINE   Costel

Costel

I AM

• Members
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

It's too early to tell. Also, Michael Jordan didn't have another top 5 player along him during the title runs. You also have to take into account the two very different eras they're playing in. You can score easily in this one than in Jordan's.

It can be done..
 v7b2o0.jpg
Courtesy of Saint Nick C.

#15 ONLINE   ISOMELO

ISOMELO

Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• 5,351 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

It's too early to tell. Also, Michael Jordan didn't have another top 5 player along him during the title runs. You also have to take into account the two very different eras they're playing in. You can score easily in this one than in Jordan's.

Scottie Pippen in his prime is better than what Wade is currently. Wade at the moment is not playing like a top 5 player, nor was he a top 5 player during the playoffs. MJ had a good supporting cast that is as good as LBJ if not better, in the second 3-peat Jordan had Pippen who was still playing at a high level, Rodman who was still rebounding and defending at an elite level, Steve Kerr who was a knockdown shooter, Toni Kukoc who was a great 6th man, Ron Harper was an elite defender and was a 20 point scorer prior to joining the Bulls. I don't want to get into the era debate but statistically this is the most defensively efficient era. Jordan played with handchecking althought it was toned down in 94, while LeBron plays against zone defenses.
Anyway I agree with the OP for the most part. I think if LeBron ties Jordan with 6 rings, I would consider LeBron to be better because I would then take appearances into account. I think LeBron going back to Cleveland and getting a championship would do wonders for his legacy.
tumblr_n11so4VD2Q1rdqggno1_400.giftumblr_mjmh37fgsm1ql5dzao1_400.gif

#16 OFFLINE   Costel

Costel

I AM

• Members
  • 4,951 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:39 AM

Scottie Pippen in his prime is better than what Wade is currently. Wade at the moment is not playing like a top 5 player, nor was he a top 5 player during the playoffs. MJ had a good supporting cast that is as good as LBJ if not better, in the second 3-peat Jordan had Pippen who was still playing at a high level, Rodman who was still rebounding and defending at an elite level, Steve Kerr who was a knockdown shooter, Toni Kukoc who was a great 6th man, Ron Harper was an elite defender and was a 20 point scorer prior to joining the Bulls. I don't want to get into the era debate but statistically this is the most defensively efficient era. Jordan played with handchecking althought it was toned down in 94, while LeBron plays against zone defenses.
Anyway I agree with the OP for the most part. I think if LeBron ties Jordan with 6 rings, I would consider LeBron to be better because I would then take appearances into account. I think LeBron going back to Cleveland and getting a championship would do wonders for his legacy.

It seems like everything Wade done was forgotten and everyone focused and is still focusing on Lebron. It's a crying shame IMO. So Lebron came to Miami to win but at the end of his career he should go back to Cleveland to get more love? That doesn't make sense. I'd burn his Jersey for that :D
  • I'm Awesome likes this

It can be done..
 v7b2o0.jpg
Courtesy of Saint Nick C.

#17 OFFLINE   The Irving show

The Irving show

All-Star

• Banned
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:08 AM

LeBron can never be GOAT simply because of 2011 Finals because the GOAT wouldn't let that happen.

#18 OFFLINE   Absolute Prophet

Absolute Prophet

Starter

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:27 PM

I find i

LeBron can never be GOAT simply because of 2011 Finals because the GOAT wouldn't let that happen.

Jordan had his downfalls through out his career every player does

#19 OFFLINE   #1 Euroleague

#1 Euroleague

Superstar

• Members
  • 1,998 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 03:20 AM

Are you kidding? Wade is much better then Pippen as far as contributing. In 2011, he outplayed James so hard vs Mavs, it was ridiculous. He had one of the highest PERs ever in a finals series...but James choked and lost. Bosh is better then Rodman by a lot. Ray Allen is a more solid experienced shooter vs Kerr. Ron Harper had knee problems and lost his ppg and cutting heavily before joining the Bulls, and was worse then Chalmers. The Heat are more stacked minus one player - MJ >>>>>>>> Lebron.

Lebron chokes continually in PS situations, often just dropping out of the series and asking his teammates to carry him. MJ went vs a comparable team defense - not really, the Celtics were arguably more stringent - and averaged huge figures on high FG% with his much worse team then the Cavs had. MJ NEVER, EVER, lost his team a series. If he was sick, bloody, etc. he'd put up numbers better then Lebron has. Even IF Lebron wins 7 championships and 7 MVPs, that wouldn't equal what he's lost for his teams while MJ always went beyond what LBJ best series ever was - but in almost every series, in perma 2team (except maybe in 95, he lost vs against Shaq, but hard to render a comparison using that vs LBJ against Howard...)

#20 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 29 December 2012 - 04:38 AM

Are you kidding? Wade is much better then Pippen as far as contributing. In 2011, he outplayed James so hard vs Mavs, it was ridiculous. He had one of the highest PERs ever in a finals series...but James choked and lost. Bosh is better then Rodman by a lot. Ray Allen is a more solid experienced shooter vs Kerr. Ron Harper had knee problems and lost his ppg and cutting heavily before joining the Bulls, and was worse then Chalmers. The Heat are more stacked minus one player - MJ >>>>>>>> Lebron.

Lebron chokes continually in PS situations, often just dropping out of the series and asking his teammates to carry him. MJ went vs a comparable team defense - not really, the Celtics were arguably more stringent - and averaged huge figures on high FG% with his much worse team then the Cavs had. MJ NEVER, EVER, lost his team a series. If he was sick, bloody, etc. he'd put up numbers better then Lebron has. Even IF Lebron wins 7 championships and 7 MVPs, that wouldn't equal what he's lost for his teams while MJ always went beyond what LBJ best series ever was - but in almost every series, in perma 2team (except maybe in 95, he lost vs against Shaq, but hard to render a comparison using that vs LBJ against Howard...)

Pippen, in his prime, when Jordan retired for the first time, he almost (and should have) led the Bulls to the ECF (and he could maybe go till the Finals) and finished 3rd in the MVP race behind only Hakeem and Robinson and passed players like Shaq, Ewing, Payton, Malone, Barkley etc.
Wade only finished 3rd in the MVP voting (with less competition than Pippen) in 2009. @ISOMELO talked about Prime Pippen and current Wade. Well, Pippen was a better player in that comparison. He just is.

And please, please, tell me how Bosh is a better player than Rodman?!?!
That's a rhetorical question because I'm pretty sure how your answer will look like. Bosh is better because he can shoot and score, right? Well, no. Rodman's impact on a basketball game >>> Bosh's impact, especially when neither of them are the number one option on their teams. Rodman has a case for the GOAT rebounder, while Bosh has a case for softest rebounder. Rodman's all-around defense was probably equally important for his team, to his rebounding ability. Rodman, throughout his career was put on Jordan, Malone, Shaq, Bird and any other legend you can imagine. Especially in his Pistons days, he'd always take care of the greatest threat of the opposing team. That's impact.

Bosh is also a better shooter and scorer than Russell. Is he better than him?

I agree, Bosh and Rodman are not close... but in the other way around. That's not even debatable.FYI, George Karl, after the 1996 Finals, said that Rodman was the MVP of the series. He just messed Karl's team chances of winning because of the things he did on the floor.

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users