Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Orleans Hornets to become Pelicans, Bobcats to become Hornets?

50 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

http://www.hornets24...this-offseason/

The latest New Orleans Hornets rebranding news, however subtle, comes from a highly placed source: Mrs. Gayle Benson. Here is the news from Mrs. Gayle as she spoke to Jennifer Hale on the pregame show before the loss to the Jazz:

• The colors they prefer are red, gold, and navy blue
  • The colors they initially preferred were red, gold, and black
  • They expect to announce the name change following this season

Following this she also reported that the process to get NBA approval has not begun. Jimmy Smith corroborated this story.

However, placed on the canvas with other facts, these comments take on a greater weight.

In fact, they point straight the New Orleans Pelicans as the end-product the rebrand.

There is a good deal of back story on the rebrand (which you should read up on the fully grok this), but the short of it is that there will be a rebrand, and Pelicans is one of the candidates. This is based on conversations with friends of Hornets247, rumors in various media, and the fact that Tom Benson owns the name / brand, has for a while, and has been maintaining LLC’s bearing this name or something similar.

So let’s start connecting the dots. The New Orleans Pelicans logo is featured above. Note the red, the gold, and the black. Here are links to more images for those who are interested:

As can be easily seen, the red-black-gold concept AND the red-blue-gold concept are both with the Pelicans hypothesis, despite protests that that Pelicans are gray or the state bird is a brown pelican (which can be gray). In fact, earlier reports claimed one color was gray. Assuming Mrs. Gayle is correct, this earlier information was in error, but it could be squared up if the person leaking the gray color saw images similar to the t-shirt above and assumed it was one of the main colors. This is being charitable, but it’s worth mentioning.

Additionally, these colors square up less nicely with other candidate names: Voodoo, Brass, Krewe, Angels. While possible, these seem out of line with the three colors above when compared to the Pelicans evidence. Additionally, the Voodoo are pulling no punches in terms of marketing themselves as Voodoo and show no signs of folding, so a quick rebrand to Voodoo seems more and more unlikely.

Cardinals fits with the colors above, but some rumors indicated an older name that is not shared with a current professional sports franchise. This would disqualify Cardinals, if correct, while admitting Pelicans.

Lastly, one of the criteria is that the brand mean something to New Orleans. Pelicans clearly does, and those colors are the colors on the New Orleans flag, along with white, which any team can use.

I do not see a more compelling case at this time, so Pelicans looks like the front runner. We’ll see in April or May, it seems.

Posted · Report post

Lol pelicans. It's likely not gonna happen, but I wouldn't mind seeing the Charlotte Hornets again

Posted · Report post

what a horrible name for a basketball team lol

Posted · Report post

Pelicans!?!?! Cmon Nola, the Hornets are good as the name is. The Bobcats, on the other hand, should look for a name change.

Posted · Report post

How bout you make the Hornets the Jazz, and change the Jazz to the Pelicans

Posted · Report post

A Baseball bat? wtf?

226110d1313782154-new-logo-set-new-orlea

How bout you make the Hornets the Jazz, and change the Jazz to the Pelicans

exactly,

New Orleans should be Jazz

Charlotte should be Hornets

Utah can be mormons

Posted · Report post

A Baseball bat? wtf?

226110d1313782154-new-logo-set-new-orlea

exactly,

New Orleans should be Jazz

Charlotte should be Hornets

Jazz can be mormons

That was the logo of the old New Orleans Pelicans minor league baseball team.

Posted · Report post

what the [expletive deleted] are they trying to copy the St. Louis Cardinals?

Posted · Report post

New_Orleans_Pelicans_B5B5B5_A80210.png

That looks like something I could do in MS Paint

LAWL that's exactly what I was thinking when I saw it.

Posted · Report post

I think the Bobcats should change their name back to the Hornets and the Hornets should change their name to the Jazz and the Jazz should change their name to the Rockies and the Timberwolves should change their name to the Lakers and the Lakers should change their name to Heavy, But Not Terrible Traffic

Delirium and Penny like this

Posted · Report post

I think the Bobcats should change their name back to the Hornets and the Hornets should change their name to the Jazz and the Jazz should change their name to the Rockies and the Timberwolves should change their name to the Lakers and the Lakers should change their name to Heavy, But Not Terrible Traffic

seems legit

Posted · Report post

I remember when people were like "The Thunder LMAO". Anyway I support this because the Hornets have nothing to do with New Orleans. Charlotte's best year were as the Hornets, Muggsy, LJ and Alonzo Mourning, Kendall Gill, they were a fun team to watch. Hornets have a place in Charlotte, the city is known as the Hornets nest. Pelicans is corny, but at least it has something to do with NOLA.

Penny likes this

Posted · Report post

I remember when people were like "The Thunder LMAO". Anyway I support this because the Hornets have nothing to do with New Orleans. Charlotte's best year were as the Hornets, Muggsy, LJ and Alonzo Mourning, Kendall Gill, they were a fun team to watch. Hornets have a place in Charlotte, the city is known as the Hornets nest. Pelicans is corny, but at least it has something to do with NOLA.

Haha I remember talking to a bunch of kids back then (in 5th grade lol) about whether or not the Thunder were a good name for a franchise. We ended up being the Thunder in like this intramural league type of thing between some of the 5th grade classes. At the time, I hated the name of the team. Now, it's kinda stuck I guess with OKC and I weirdly like it.

Posted · Report post

I thought this was a joke? Or is it? Man, I'm mindfcuked..