• 17,812 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

Based on this season. Putting all preseason bias aside

1. Joakim Noah
2. Tyson Chandler
3. Dwight Howard
4. Anderson Varejao
5. Al Jefferson

I'd like to put Marc Gasol at 5 but it can be argued either way, Jefferson is quietly having yet another great season. Varejao would be higher than Howard if he was more of a shot blocker.

Howard is 3rd because of his inconsistencies on defense and the fact that he's a liability in the 4th quarter. I've no doubt that he'll get better at some point but for now, he's 3rd.
  • TeoTheGreek13 likes this

IllfatedLoneGermanspaniel.gif

"If the truth is cruel then lies must be kind. That's why kindness is a lie" - Hikigaya

#3 OFFLINE   Truth34

Truth34

Red Sox

• Members
  • 17,665 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:14 PM

1. Joakim
2. Howard
3. Horford
4. Gasol
5. Varajao

roindotip.gifrondop2.gif

#4 OFFLINE   DJtheCap™

DJtheCap™

r8 it 8/8 m8

• Members
  • 3,865 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:20 PM

Just this season:

1. Noah
2. Chandler
3. Varajao
4. Dwight
5. Gasol

Chandler has been so valuable for the Knicks this year, but Noah even more so for the Bulls.

fb7c54e3437eed88a91251c87041688e.480x286

step up m8

#5 OFFLINE   probskN

probskN

The Golden Age

• HN Journalists
  • 6,839 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:29 PM

Strictly based on this season:

1 - Joakim Noah
2 - Tyson Chandler
3 - Anderson Varejao
4 - Marc Gasol
5 - Dwight Howard

HM - Al Jefferson

#6 ONLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• 23,953 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:31 PM

Posted Image

:cool:

My man Jo, finally recognised. Well deserved!

***BTW...
http://www.slamonlin...chool-shooting/
  • MC_Muslim, Ben and Shytown like this

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   WrongIslander 2.0

WrongIslander 2.0

Inventor of the Turf and Turf

• Members
  • 8,123 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

Tyson Chandler
Anderson Varejao
JJ Hickson
Joakim Noah
Dwight Howard

Most underrated: JaVale McGee

shakira.gif?w=300

Brendan Rodger's Liverpool we're on our way to glory!

"I thoroughly enjoyed my team mates and I always said that when I left the Celtics I couldn't go to heaven because that would be a step down" - The Great Bill Russell

#8 OFFLINE   PaulTrillsap

PaulTrillsap

Most Influential Poster of All-Time?

• Members
  • 4,647 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:02 PM

lmao at noah being first. He does nothing but get put backs and hustle points. His offensive game is still horrible and revolves around put backs. He's a great passer for a C and a good defender, but thats all he is. He's more overrated then anything. He's playing like 42 min a game. He's not as efficient as the other C's and is averaging a lot of TO's for a C

Dwight isn't first though, this isn't because i don't like laker fans but he really isn't first. I always got annoyed at people who said bynum had a better offensive game then dwight but after watching him play a lot, its true. His offensive game is fuxking horrible. Has no go to moves and gets assisted on more then half his points. His defense hasn't been that great either and he's a horrible FT shooter. Doesn't sound like the best C in the league. I'm going with al jefferson, he's having another all star caliber season and is the best offensive C in the league, either him or marc gasol. Jef's rebounding has improved and his defense is pretty solid

I'm LeBron Jamesufdup.png you a fukking rookie pacspit.gif

#9 ONLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• 23,953 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:07 PM

lmao at noah being first. He does nothing but get put backs and hustle points. His offensive game is still horrible and revolves around put backs. He's a great passer for a C and a good defender, but thats all he is. He's more overrated then anything. He's playing like 42 min a game. He's not as efficient as the other C's and is averaging a lot of TO's for a C

Dwight isn't first though, this isn't because i don't like laker fans but he really isn't first. I always got annoyed at people who said bynum had a better offensive game then dwight but after watching him play a lot, its true. His offensive game is fuxking horrible. Has no go to moves and gets assisted on more then half his points. His defense hasn't been that great either and he's a horrible FT shooter. Doesn't sound like the best C in the league. I'm going with al jefferson, he's having another all star caliber season and is the best offensive C in the league, either him or marc gasol. Jef's rebounding has improved and his defense is pretty solid

I don't see any center mentioned being a killer on offense. Noah is #4 in rebounds, he's #1 in assists among centers (and maybe among bigs), he's averaging 14 points in whichever way (like Chandler, Varejao, Dwight or McGee have Hakeem olajuwon moves or something) and he has big impact on defense and in general on the Bulls.
The fact that he averages 40 (not 42) minutes shows how important he is as we don't actually have a backup center).

Noah at #1 ain't a stretch and it's pretty debatable.

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#10 ONLINE   Ben

Ben

LBJ4MVP

• 28,752 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

Glad to see my man Noah finally recognized, seeing everybody put him at #1 shows he's came a long way since I first saw him play

1.Noah
2-5: who cares

tumblr_n6zcecCwEc1qex77oo2_500.gif

#11 OFFLINE   Djoker

Djoker

Enforcer

• Global Moderators
  • 14,072 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:39 PM

LOL Howard is still easily #1...

1. Howard
2. Noah
3. Chandler
4. M. Gasol
5. Varejao
  • The Logo and Young Gee like this

#12 OFFLINE   Young Gee

Young Gee

Idol

• Members
  • 12,699 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

LOL Howard is still easily #1...

1. Howard
2. Noah
3. Chandler
4. M. Gasol
5. Varejao

Ikr, just because hes having a down season (because of the surgery) doesnt mean he isnt the best C in the league.
1. Howard
2. Chandler (hes more important to the Knicks defense than Noah to the Bulls defense)
3. Noah
4. Varejao
5. Marc Gasol (only averaging a mediocre 7.6 rpg in 36 mpg)

tumblr_n4v5gpX7NQ1rtequ6o1_500.gif

russell-westbrook-3-and-strut-game-4-aga

#13 OFFLINE   ☣David ☣

☣David ☣

Rookie

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Based off this season:
1. Marc Gasol/ Howard
2. Dwight Howard/Gasol
3. Jaokim Noah
4. Chris Bosh
5. Anderson Varajao

HM- Tyson Chandler, Brook Lopez, Demarcus Cousins

1st is D12, 2nd is Gasol. Other than that I think you nailed it.
Heat, Clippers, Rockets and Nets fan.

#14 OFFLINE   Swish

Swish

***NBA IN MTL***

• Members
  • 33,945 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:20 PM

1 - Joakim Noah
2 - Tyson Chandler
3 - Anderson Varejao
4 - Marc Gasol
5 - Dwight Howard

demar_derozan_signature_by_egbdesign-d4z

#15 OFFLINE   Raza 10

Raza 10

Purrrr

• Members
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 10:32 PM

Seriously? We're gonna drop Howard out of the top 3 because the Lakers are doing poorly? He's averaging 18 points a game with the best scorer in the league on his team along with 12 rebounds shooting well over 50% and is among the top in blocks per game. Is it because we want to drop him down in a list of CENTERS because he doesn't get assists or shoot well from the free throw line? He does everything you need your center to do and he's among the top of the league at all of it.

1. Dwight Howard
2. Joakim Noah
3. Tyson Chandler
4. Anderson Varejao
5. Marc Gasol

DeMarcus Cousins has fallen out of favor with me because of his recent play.

#16 OFFLINE   #1 Euroleague

#1 Euroleague

Superstar

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:29 AM

Seriously? We're gonna drop Howard out of the top 3 because the Lakers are doing poorly? He's averaging 18 points a game with the best scorer in the league on his team along with 12 rebounds shooting well over 50% and is among the top in blocks per game. Is it because we want to drop him down in a list of CENTERS because he doesn't get assists or shoot well from the free throw line? He does everything you need your center to do and he's among the top of the league at all of it.

1. Dwight Howard
2. Joakim Noah
3. Tyson Chandler
4. Anderson Varejao
5. Marc Gasol

DeMarcus Cousins has fallen out of favor with me because of his recent play.

for centers - LITERALLY - FT% is the most important of all; far more then guards as they go to the line about 5-10 FT/g. yea, he has 18ppg with decent def., but Chandler has only a few less points with 20% FG%+ and higher FT%.

I believe it's just for 1 RS, not for upcoming PS etc. it's like no1 would say derrick rose is top 10 PG this year, because he's injured..
1. Chandler - beast streak, last 16 games are 15ppg/10rpg @ 75%FG
2. Varejao - he's carrying so much of the cavaliers, leading league in rebounds, decent FT%
3/4. Brook Lopez + D12 - both are great offensive options among this list, great on defensive end, minor holes in FT%/injuries/offtheball offense between them.
5. Gasol

#17 OFFLINE   Fakhrul

Fakhrul

Madness is Delicious!

• Members
  • 246 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:36 AM

1.Chandler
2.Howard
3.Noah
4.Varejao
5.Marc Gasol

Posted Image

Goat Battle

#18 OFFLINE   Raza 10

Raza 10

Purrrr

• Members
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:31 AM

for centers - LITERALLY - FT% is the most important of all; far more then guards as they go to the line about 5-10 FT/g. yea, he has 18ppg with decent def., but Chandler has only a few less points with 20% FG%+ and higher FT%.

I believe it's just for 1 RS, not for upcoming PS etc. it's like no1 would say derrick rose is top 10 PG this year, because he's injured..
1. Chandler - beast streak, last 16 games are 15ppg/10rpg @ 75%FG
2. Varejao - he's carrying so much of the cavaliers, leading league in rebounds, decent FT%
3/4. Brook Lopez + D12 - both are great offensive options among this list, great on defensive end, minor holes in FT%/injuries/offtheball offense between them.
5. Gasol

Free throw shooting is the most important part of being a center..........................?

Being scrappy like Chandler and scoring how he scores (hustle plays, put backs, alley oops) is great, but the best centers can have offenses run through the post. Look at the one matchup between Chandler and Howard so far. Chandler was 5-10 with 18 points and 4 rebounds. Dwight was 8-11 with 20 points and 7 rebounds. Not too great for either but Dwight outscored, outrebounded, and shot a higher field goal (and a higher free throw) percentage against Chandler.

Dwight makes just half a shot less per game than Chandler attempts per game...the 70 is amazing, but Dwight is shooting 58% while taking and making more shots. We shouldn't penalize Dwight for shooting 58%.

Teams have to work their whole defenses against Dwight Howard. They worry about Tyson on offense from pick and rolls and offensive rebounds. Tell me who the last great center was who fed off of strictly putbacks for their offensive game.

Last year, Tyson Chandler averaged 11 points and 10 rebounds per game, with 1.4 blocks per game shooting 68% and he was nowhere close to being considered the best center. He's done the same exact things he's done last year, this year (hustle, defensive anchor, putbacks). This year he's averaging 13 points and 10 rebounds a game shooting 70% and 0.8 blocks per game. Two points more per game, 2% higher shooting, and about half a block less.

So why is Chandler being put above Dwight?

Because the Knicks are winning. And the Lakers are losing.

In the words of our favorite Rondo is GOAT, team success doesn't measure individual success.

#19 ONLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• 23,953 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:34 PM

Only Howard has a case over Noah this season and that's because of his impact on both ends.

On defense he's still the 3-time DOTY and best defensive anchor in the game and on offense, he demands double and some times triple teams which can mess the defense up.
His FT% though is really a drawback. In contrast with Howard, you can have Noah in the game in the last minutes without being worried about the other teams hacking your center who's gonna probably miss them. That's big.

Anyway, it's Noah and Howard.

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#20 OFFLINE   #1 Euroleague

#1 Euroleague

Superstar

• Members
  • 1,958 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:08 PM

Free throw shooting is the most important part of being a center..........................?

Being scrappy like Chandler and scoring how he scores (hustle plays, put backs, alley oops) is great, but the best centers can have offenses run through the post. Look at the one matchup between Chandler and Howard so far. Chandler was 5-10 with 18 points and 4 rebounds. Dwight was 8-11 with 20 points and 7 rebounds. Not too great for either but Dwight outscored, outrebounded, and shot a higher field goal (and a higher free throw) percentage against Chandler.

Dwight makes just half a shot less per game than Chandler attempts per game...the 70 is amazing, but Dwight is shooting 58% while taking and making more shots. We shouldn't penalize Dwight for shooting 58%.

Teams have to work their whole defenses against Dwight Howard. They worry about Tyson on offense from pick and rolls and offensive rebounds. Tell me who the last great center was who fed off of strictly putbacks for their offensive game.

Last year, Tyson Chandler averaged 11 points and 10 rebounds per game, with 1.4 blocks per game shooting 68% and he was nowhere close to being considered the best center. He's done the same exact things he's done last year, this year (hustle, defensive anchor, putbacks). This year he's averaging 13 points and 10 rebounds a game shooting 70% and 0.8 blocks per game. Two points more per game, 2% higher shooting, and about half a block less.

So why is Chandler being put above Dwight?

Because the Knicks are winning. And the Lakers are losing.

In the words of our favorite Rondo is GOAT, team success doesn't measure individual success.

Chandler wasn't having that great of a season last year, but yes I still ranked him above Dwight (injuries....?)
This year, he's scoring 5ppg more. on a better FG% by almost 10%. to give you a comparison, that'd be dwight going to 23ppg (smaller % change on ppg, 150% for tyson) and shooting 67% vs 18ppg on 57%. equal percentage wise would be dwight going 27ppg on 65%. so no, it's not based at all on team record. did you not read my list? varejao?

Chandler is shooting better then him also in FT%. combining FT and FG differentials, tyson has a 33% difference....dwight is missing 1.5 more FT/g then tyson is taking, if you want to throw around stupid meaningless volume counters. that difference is bigger then the difference between Nash and the Allen Iverson.

also, dwight's not exactly anchoring a great defense. the Lakers have more all defensive first teamers then any other team, and their defense has been fail - including dwight. chandler is down 2rpg and 3ppg, but with much higher fg% and better defensive setups.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users