Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New York , The Mecca of Basketball ?

25 posts in this topic

Posted

Is New York still considered the Mecca . I hear a lot of people say that Chicago is the Mecca and will always be considered the Real Mecca . Well lets think about all the legends and current stars who were born in New York .

Melo

Bernard King

Bob Cousy

Michael Jordan

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar

Skip to my Lou

Chris Mullin

The Ron Artest

The list goes on but New York is the Mecca .

Posted

Jordan doesn't count his parents were New Yorkers, but he was raised completely in North Carolina. Don't forget about Julius Erving he was also from New York. IMO, New York has fallen off we haven't produced a great player in years. Sebastian Talfair was supposed to be the "savior" but he never materialized. Chicago has produced some great players over the past few years such as Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Jabari Parker a very hyped prospect and future top pick just commited to Duke today and is from Chicago.

TeoTheGreek13 likes this

Posted

Jordan doesn't count his parents were New Yorkers, but he was raised completely in North Carolina. Don't forget about Julius Erving he was also from New York. IMO, New York has fallen off we haven't produced a great player in years. Sebastian Talfair was supposed to be the "savior" but he never materialized. Chicago has produced some great players over the past few years such as Derrick Rose, Anthony Davis and Jabari Parker a very hyped prospect and future top pick just commited to Duke today and is from Chicago.

And don't forget D-Wade.

Posted

yea I agree we have fallen off a bit , I love Chicago's born Jabari Parker .

Posted

We're good but Chicago is just so nice too.. Will have to think more about this later!

Posted

New York isn't the Mecca down to who played there, it's down to the streets where the ball was played, MSG AND the player.

The explosion of Basketball as a sport was down to NY more than anywhere else. When there's streetball where do they go every year? New York of course.

It was spoiled somewhat when people started talking about MSG being the Mecca and not New York, but that's rubbish.

New York is, was and always will be the Mecca and anyone who argues? Yeah sorry but you're wrong.

Bball_Jones likes this

Posted

NY's talent isn't the same anymore. Not just in basketball but in hiphop too

Posted

I think whatever way you look at it. Illinois, New York, and Michicgan are top 3 in states for Bball with Cali right behind um

Posted

I think whatever way you look at it. Illinois, New York, and Michicgan are top 3 in states for Bball with Cali right behind um

Puma sells apparel in all of those States!

Ben likes this

Posted

Puma sells apparel in all of those States!

:'(

Last day I'll be able to wear my Pumas

Posted

:'(

Last day I'll be able to wear my Pumas

It'll also be the last day those cool kids that wear Nike and Adidas can make fun of me.

Posted

It'll also be the last day those cool kids that wear Nike and Adidas can make fun of me.

But you be dunkin on um doe

Posted

That's true but the idea of this context is whether NYC is the Meccas of bball so while i understand your point there is no city in the world that consistently produces talent in a given art or game, name me one, even try. Even in Brazil when it comes to soccer in Rio De Janeiro (probably the maddest of them all) they have their lulls.

These things are circular and the major cities have their time and then it's time for someone else to take over but what I don't understand is how the goalposts move. If you want to talk pro music then NYC still has a major claim with one of the biggest selling recording artist in the world (Jay-Z obviously) and all the people that are moving on now were inspired by he just as he was by Biggie, Nas, Run DMC and as they were by Public Enemy and so on.

I don't know if NYC still produces the best talent on the street, it could be Chicago, it could be Philly, hell it could be Cali, who knows? What I do know is where they all want to show how good they are and that's NYC and just as the best have been inspired and come from those streets in those walks of life, they will do again.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

PaulTrillsap likes this

Posted

ABSOLUTELY. The legends that were born on NY soil is a long long list. Even Jordan was born in Brooklyn.

However... the church is in Indiana.

Bball_Jones and Bayzus like this

Posted

ABSOLUTELY. The legends that were born on NY soil is a long long list. Even Jordan was born in Brooklyn.

Not Springfield, Massachusetts?

Truth34 likes this

Posted

Not Springfield, Massachusetts?

Nah... Boston has 3 other major teams.

Indiana eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. It's comparative to football in Texas...

Posted

Talent in hip hop isn't the same. I listened to some of Chief Keef's album and it's probably the worst garbage I've ever heard in my life. Guys like 2Chainz and Big Sean are at the top in hiphop! Even the MC's (J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar) that are supposedly good cannot compare to what NYC was producing from 85-95.

Posted

Some really amazing ballers were born in NYC. Don't forget Tiny, Julius, Hawkins, Lanier, Billy Cunningham, Gus Williams, Lenny Wilkens, Brian Winters, Vinnie Johnson, Odom... also on that list.

Agree but change cathedral to Indy and church to Boston :D

I got family in Indiana, spent some time there, people are really crazy about bball down there.

Posted

Sure, but Boston is the Mecca of Sports.

Lulz

No. New York is the Mecca of Sports. The New York Yankees have more championships than all the major Boston teams combined. Other teams like the Giants, Knicks Rangers and Islanders have also been relatively successful.

Bayzus likes this

Posted

No. New York is the Mecca of Sports. The New York Yankees have more championships than all the major Boston teams combined. Other teams like the Giants, Knicks Rangers and Islanders have also been relatively successful.

Lol screw the yankees. Money = players for them.

Posted

Spending a shit load of money worked out great for the Red Sox last year

Baseball is for clowns

Posted

Talent in hip hop isn't the same. I listened to some of Chief Keef's album and it's probably the worst garbage I've ever heard in my life. Guys like 2Chainz and Big Sean are at the top in hiphop! Even the MC's (J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar) that are supposedly good cannot compare to what NYC was producing from 85-95.

And nothing ever will. Today's MC's are so overrated man. Especially KL. Guys are on his [expletive deleted] calling him a WC legend after one studio album when it wasn't even all that. People aren't used to hearing something that good in such a long time that its new to them and they become prisoners of the moment. Even after biggie died NY still had the best artists. DMX was really relevant from 1998-2004ish. His first two albums are classics and he's one of the goats, not to mention one of the few rappers to successfully rap and sing. 50 cent's debut GRODT is a classic, even though its pop rap it was still a sick album. Ja rule was tight, jadakiss was tight, jayz was good. Todays mainstream artists i wouldn't call them horrible but they don't compare to what hiphop was 15 years ago. I hate to sound nostalgic but it irritates me when people act like hiphop hasn't changed. Artists care more about production then anything in todays rap game. And keef is a bad example lol. He's not really trying to be a lyricist. He makes bangers and thats all he'll ever make. Sick beats w/ catchy hooks and horrible lyrics. Keef is at least somewhat listenable though, 2chainz is beyond horrible. You can't really expect anything from the south though lol
ISOMELO likes this

Posted

Lol screw the yankees. Money = players for them.

Money = Players in every sport... your point?

Posted

Ohio is.

We got lebron