8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Lil Kyrie™

Lil Kyrie™

New York Knicks 2012-2013

• Members
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:01 PM

Hakeem Olajuwon vs Dikembe Mutombo

Since the 1949-50 NBA Season Big Men have ruled the game of basketball , from greats like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to George Mikan, the first great center, towered over the league during its formative years. I will analyze two Defensive Greats in this Article Hakeem "the Dream"and Dikembe "Finger Waving" Mutombo .

Hakeem Olajuwon
Posted Image
Accolades
-NBA All Time leader in career blocked shots

-He’s one of the rare players to record a quadruple double!

-Ranks first on the playoffs all time list in blocks per game

-Ranks second on the playoffs all time list in total blocks

-Ranks third on the all time list in career blocks per game

-Ranks third on the all time list in career defensive win share

-Ranks sixth on the all time list in career defensive rebounds

-Ranks seventh on the playoffs all time list in defensive rebounds

-Ranks eight on the all time list in career field goals made

-Ranks ninth on the all time list in career steals

-Ranks ninth on the all time list in career offensive rebounds

-Ranks 11th on the playoffs all time list in defensive win share

-Ranks 11th on the playoffs all time list in total points

-Ranks 12th on the playoffs all time list in offensive rebounds

-Ranks 12th on the playoffs all time list in total rebounds

-Ranks 12th on the all time list in career total rebounds

-Ranks 12th on the all time list in career field goals attempted

-Ranks 16th on the all time list in MVP shares

-Ranks 17th on the playoffs all time list in offensive win share

-Ranks 17th on the all time list in career win shares

-Ranks 19th on the all time list in career defensive rating

-Ranks 24th on the all time list in career defensive rebound percent

-Ranks 26th on the all time list in career steals per game

-Ranks 30th on the all time list in career total rebound percent

-Ranks 33rd on the all time list in career points per game

Career Stats(Regular season/Playoffs)

26,946 points (21,8)———————————-3,775 points (25,9)

13,748 boards (11,1)———————————1,621 boards (11,2)

3,058 assists (2,5)————————————458 assists (3,2)

3,830 blocks (3,1)————————————-472 blocks (3,3)

"He was a Small Forward in a Centers body. To quick, to big, to good for anyone to guard him one on one. If you took the best player off of almost any playoff team and replaced them with the Dream I'd bet that team would win the championship. Best foot work for a center I have ever seen. Incredible defender. Top notch rebounder."

Unlike the previous greats at the 5 position , Olajuwon took a different path to the top . Hakeem starting quite late , didn't start to play basketball until the age of 15 . Despite being a late bloomer he learned the game as easy as A-B-C's.

Committing to play for the University of Houston he played remarkable . His stellar play led the Cougars to three consecutive Final Four appearances , but each time they fell short . With those achievements he was ready to attend the NBA's Summer Event, the NBA Draft .

With the first pick in the 1984 NBA Draft the Houston Rockets Select Hakeem Olajuwon from the University of Houston"

Defense: Remarkably agile at 7'9'', 255 pounds, he ranks among the greatest rebounders in history. He's 9th on the steals list, and he's a Center. Thats an incredible feat. Not to mention, he's also in the Top 5 for blocked shot and he's the only player to stand in the NBA's all-time top 10 in both blocked shots and steals. In fact, Hakeem broke Abdul-Jabbar's record for career blocks in April 1996. He also was the first to win Regular season MVP, DPOY and Finals MVP all in one season (1994).

Low Post Moves:
Hakeem Olajuwon was arguably the greatest offensive low post player in the NBA History. He excelled in this aspect like no one else did and there are good reasons supporting that.

He was one of the most physically gifted men to play professional basketball. He had a rare combination of size, speed and athleticism which he translated on defense to block shots and pull down rebounds easier, while on offense to finish better.Hakeem possessed a variety of quick and agile moves in the paint for which his defenders didn’t have an answer. They are known today as the “Dream Shake”. He probably had the finest post moves of all time,.

Additionally, his footwork was second to none. He scored in dozens of ways and was efficient too. Few had an answer to contain him as he ranks top ten in the career leaders for total points and playoff scoring too.

His offensive low post game is the best of all time. He’s now giving lessons to the today’s stars like Kobe, Dwight and most recently LeBron for them to learn the art of scoring in there.

Prime:

Hakeem Olajuwon had the greatest peak in the NBA History. He was simply said on a whole new level above the rest and was the league’s finest at that time too.

He was the top defender, who was an intimating presence as always, swatting shots (ranked first in the playoffs), interrupting passes as he averaged four blocks and 1.8 steals in the first run. He did average 2.8 swats and 1.2 steals too.

Additionally, Hakeem was arguably the best offensive force too. His post up game was much better than the rest and despite facing great defenders, he was scoring easily and on high percentages. He led twice in that category too and in the Finals.

Olajuwon outplayed terrific opponents during his successful playoff runs. He totally outclassed David Robinson after the Admiral got the MVP award. He averaged 35.3 points on .560 shooting while containing Robinson to averages of 23.8 points on .449 from field.

Then, he also averaged 32.8 points, 11.5 boards, 5.5 assists on 48.2% field goal percentage versus Shaquille and he led his team to a sweep.

Dikembe Mutombo

Posted Image

Named BEC Defensive Player of the Year in 1991.
Selected to the NBA All-Rookie 1st Team in 1992.
4 times named Defensive Player of the Year.
3 times named to the NBA All-Defensive 1st Team.
3 times named to the NBA All-Defensive 2nd Team.
Led the NBA in total blocked shots from 1993 to 1998.
Led the NBA in total rebounds in 1994-95 and 1996-97 and 2000-01.
8 times selected to the NBA All-Star Game.
Named to the All-NBA 2nd Team in 2000-01.
Voted to the All-NBA 3rd Team in 2001-02.

Defense:

Dikembe was a defensive force during his 20 years in the NBA. The finger-waving Congolese American was named Defensive Player of the Year four times, we all remember the days of him blocking shots and providing low-post help defense.The 7-foot-2, 260-pound center won a record four NBA Defensive Player of the Year Awards and was an eight-time All-Star. He ranks second all-time in career blocks, behind Hakeem Olajuwon. One remarkable game I remember reading about was his challenge against another defensive beast in Kevin Garnett , on December 15, 1999.
Dikembe Mutombo made all 11 of his shots and had 27 points and 29 rebounds as the Atlanta Hawks beat the reeling Minnesota Timberwolves, 105-94, Tuesday night at Atlanta. Mutombo's rebound total was the highest in the NBA since Dennis Rodman grabbed 29 for Chicago against Atlanta on Dec. 27, 1997. It was two shy of Mutombo's career-high of 31 and offset an outstanding night by Kevin Garnett. Garnett had the sixth triple-double of the NBA season with 22 points, 15 rebounds and 10 assists.

Overall :

One of the potential reasons that Mutombo isn't considered the best big-man of his generation, and also a reason why he never got his ring, is because he's jumped around so much.

He's been a member of seven different franchises if you count the Bulls (he was traded to Chi-Town but never played), and maybe if the Sixers didn't trade him to the Nets, he could have won a title with Allen Iverson and Andre Iguodala.
One of the best defensive players in history. Long, long arms... A shot blocking machine. Averaged more than 10 boards per game in his career... Sometimes effective hook shot , Not a bad 10-foot baseline jumper if he had a clean look... Poor footwork... Very slow in the open court... Mediocre on the offensive end... Made the difference on defense.

Sources:
ESPN .com
NBA.com
Basketball-reference.com
Chicago Tribune
Bleacher Report

run4fun808.gif?dateline=1365332746HNL SUNS GM

RtSPYU.gif

#2 OFFLINE   Sean

Sean

Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• 9,741 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

http://bleacherrepor...-of-fame-worthy U just took it from this and jumbled it around

#3 OFFLINE   Clutch

Clutch

Bleed Green

• Members
  • 13,906 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:07 PM

Plagirism eh?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Lil Kyrie™

Lil Kyrie™

• Members
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/77634-mutombo-hall-of-fame-worthy U just took it from this and jumbled it around

I took one little part from there , let me out that down as one of my sources

RtSPYU.gif

#5 OFFLINE   Sean

Sean

Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• 9,741 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

ok. Make sure u put ALL ur sources. And if u wanna call it "an article u wrote" than u should probably put stuff in ur own words instead of just copying and pasting
  • Lil Kyrie™ likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Clutch

Clutch

Bleed Green

• Members
  • 13,906 posts

Thats a horrible source though.... :/

Posted Image

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   Lil Kyrie™

Lil Kyrie™

• Members
  • 6,003 posts

Plagirism eh?

nah not plagiarism

RtSPYU.gif

#8 OFFLINE   Flynn

Flynn

4-3 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Members
  • 19,083 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:10 PM

L3L not sure what's worse, the plagiarism or BR as a source
  • Lil Kyrie™ likes this

1443c5y.jpg

#9 OFFLINE   Lil Kyrie™

Lil Kyrie™

• Members
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 08:11 PM

Thats a horrible source though.... :/

yea it is but I you can't really find good sources for Mutombo so that was like a last resort

RtSPYU.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users