Scottie Pippen & the Knicks:

25 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My friend showed me this yesterday. I have been wondering how different history would've been if the Knicks never traded the 5th pick. If the Knicks had Pippen & Ewing, and Jordan was left alone with the Bulls, how would have history been different?

Posted · Report post

I think the Knicks would've won 8 or 9 championships, and Magic Johnson would be considered the GOAT today (with LeBron knocking him off at the end of his career). Finally, the legacies of Ewing & Pippen would be extremely different, both being top 3 at their' positions All-Time.

Posted · Report post

I think the Knicks would've won 8 or 9 championships, and Magic Johnson would be considered the GOAT today (with LeBron knocking him off at the end of his career). Finally, the legacies of Ewing & Pippen would be extremely different, both being top 3 at their' positions All-Time.

8 or 9 is just TOO much

After MJ, Kareem has the strongest case for GOAT. As for LeBron, let time tell it.

Pippen has 6 rings and he's not top 3 at his position. Hard to see Ewing as top 3 C even with like 4/5 rings, but it would've really improve his chances.

Djoker likes this

Posted · Report post

8 or 9 is just TOO much

After MJ, Kareem has the strongest case for GOAT. As for LeBron, let time tell it.

Pippen has 6 rings and he's not top 3 at his position. Hard to see Ewing as top 3 C even with like 4/5 rings, but it would've really improve his chances.

The Knicks would have the greatest defensive team in that era with Pippen. Nobody, not even Jordan would have gone through a front-court of Pippen-Oakley-Ewing. That being said, both Pippen & Ewing would've ended up with 4 Finals MVP's each (because between them, there would be more sharing the ball), and 8 rings. The only year I doubt is 1999, where fatigue would take a toll on the team.

Posted · Report post

No they wouldn't have 8 or 9 rings maybe 5-7 though. And yes Magic and Larry Bird and KAJ would have stronger cases for GOAT. And MJ would be considered like a top 25- top 15 player of all-time.

Posted · Report post

The Knicks would have been one of the greatest defensive teams of All-Time and would probably win 2-4 rings in the 90s and be considered a dynasty. The only thing that kept Ewing from winning championships was a legit consistent scoring option. Pippen is here you have that second scoring option that also means no Charles Smith experiment! Imagine the defense with the front court of Pippen, Oakley and Ewing with Starks and Harper in the backcourt! Jordan would not be considered GOAT and would have probably left Chicago.

C Patrick Ewing

F Charles Oakley

F Scottie Pippen

G John Starks

G Derek Harper

A defense anchored by Ewing in the interior and Pippen on the perimeter sounds sick.

Anyway what if Seattle would have never traded Pippen?

C Ervin Johnson

F Shawn Kemp

F Scottie Pippen

G Hersey Hawkins

G Gary Payton

This should be moved to NBA History.

Posted · Report post

Ok, since we make hypotheses here...

The Knicks are drafting Pippen. Then the Bulls would have completely different seasons without Pippen than they did with Pippen. They'd probably be a lottery team and if they weren't, maybe through trades they had a lottery pick and maybe they would draft a potential superstar in the next few years. Shaq? Penny? Webber? etc etc.

Also, the Knicks wouldn't have the same roster as they had plus Pippen. That's ridiculous.

Jordan is Jordan and would still be the best player. Now, here is why team accomplishments sometimes may not do justice.

We know how good Jordan was, right? Right. If he didn't have Pippen and hadn't won six rings, he wouldn't be that good? Nah, he'd still be Jordan.

That's why I don't like those hypotheses. It is what it is.

ISOMELO and FryingPan like this

Posted · Report post

The Knicks would have the greatest defensive team in that era with Pippen. Nobody, not even Jordan would have gone through a front-court of Pippen-Oakley-Ewing. That being said, both Pippen & Ewing would've ended up with 4 Finals MVP's each (because between them, there would be more sharing the ball), and 8 rings. The only year I doubt is 1999, where fatigue would take a toll on the team.

You're taking it way too far man... 8 rings? 4 FMVP's each? Lmao...

Ok, since we make hypotheses here...

The Knicks are drafting Pippen. Then the Bulls would have completely different seasons without Pippen than they did with Pippen. They'd probably be a lottery team and if they weren't, maybe through trades they had a lottery pick and maybe they would draft a potential superstar in the next few years. Shaq? Penny? Webber? etc etc.

Also, the Knicks wouldn't have the same roster as they had plus Pippen. That's ridiculous.

Jordan is Jordan and would still be the best player. Now, here is why team accomplishments sometimes may not do justice.

We know how good Jordan was, right? Right. If he didn't have Pippen and hadn't won six rings, he wouldn't be that good? Nah, he'd still be Jordan.

That's why I don't like those hypotheses. It is what it is.

Agreed.

Posted · Report post

You're taking it way too far man... 8 rings? 4 FMVP's each? Lmao...

Tell me which team was going to stop them?

Posted · Report post

Hakeem's Rockets, Stockton's & Malone's Jazz, Shaq's and Penny's Magic and Payton's & Kemp's Sonics would all have their shots.

It's another thing to have Jordan with Pippen and another thing to have Ewing with Pippen. And don't forget that if the Knicks had Pippen they wouldn't have some of the other players.

Posted · Report post

For all we know, Pippen's development could have been ruined by Ewing and Pippen would have not been the same player as he is regarded as today.

Posted · Report post

Being a intelligent poster I would say very few. If not none.

Posted · Report post

Michael Jordan wouldn't have 6 rings. He'd only have like 2 or maybe even 3 if he didn't have Scottie.

Posted · Report post

This is pure speculation but it's worth a shot.

The peeps telling the Knicks would win 6-9 rings are insane. I mean...WHAT? Pippen could 'only' win 6 rings with Michael Jordan, the greatest baller ever. How in the world would he be winning more than 6 with Patrick Ewing? Sure, Ewing was a top center but still, he was not at the level of an Hakeem or a Shaq or for that matter a Karl Malone. Ewing was a defensive monster but never a true leader and never a top notch performer when it really mattered. My point: Pippen + Jordan goes way above Pippen + Ewing.

On top, the Knicks didn't have Phil Jackson. Pat Riley was a damn good coach but he never was and never will be a Phil Jackson. The Knicks were a bunch of knuckle heads and adding Pippen to the mix wouldn't better their case. With the Bulls, it was Jordan and some Pippen and the rest. Jackson managed to make that work, Riley never fully did. On top, Ewing was far behind in leadership compared to Mike. Jordan and Jackson could hold Pippen down, Ewing would have been eaten alive.

And like @TeoTheGreek13 said: with Pippen in the mix, the Knicks would have never been able to assemble the same team. But even if they would have been able to do this, the competition was fierce: Bulls, Magic, Cavaliers, Sonics, Suns, Blazers, Rockets, Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Jazz... Six plus rings for the Ewing-Pippen Knicks? Give me a break, common.

Djoker likes this

Posted · Report post

The peeps telling the Knicks would win 6-9 rings are insane. I mean...WHAT? Pippen could 'only' win 6 rings with Michael Jordan, the greatest baller ever. How in the world would he be winning more than 6 with Patrick Ewing? Sure, Ewing was a top center but still, he was not at the level of an Hakeem or a Shaq or for that matter a Karl Malone. Ewing was a defensive monster but never a true leader and never a top notch performer when it really mattered. My point: Pippen + Jordan goes way above Pippen + Ewing.

Because Ewing would've never retired.

Posted · Report post

The Bulls wouldn't be that bad of a lottery team. Penny or Webber with Jordan wouldn't stop Pippen & Ewing anyway. But Shaq with Jordan would.

Posted · Report post

The Bulls wouldn't be that bad of a lottery team. Penny or Webber with Jordan wouldn't stop Pippen & Ewing anyway. But Shaq with Jordan would.

Then you whether underrate Penny and Webber or you underrate Jordan.

Like I said though, what if the Bulls were getting a lottery pick through trades?!

But anyway, there were a bunch of teams that could stop a Ewing-Pippen led Knicks.

Posted · Report post

Vino thanks for bringing people down to Earth LOL

The Knicks wouldn't win more than 2-4 titles. Neither Ewing nor Pippen are really alpha scorers so they'd definitely win less than Jordan and Pippen. However there is a good chance that Jordan would win 1-2 rings at most instead of 6 which would obviously diminish his legacy greatly.

Vino likes this

Posted · Report post

jordan could still win a lot of titles without pippen

I agree. He'd definitely had a bunch of stars and superstars that would love to play alongside of him in order to win. Jordan would win multiple titles even without Pippen for the reason I stated

He was that great. Only chance he didn't win would be there was a team as dominant as the 60's Celtics...

Posted · Report post

It's so subjective though, predicting the future (or the past in this case) is very inexact. There's so many factors that you'd have to think about, things would have played out differently, players would have developed differently. It's all speculation...

Posted · Report post

This is pure speculation but it's worth a shot.

On top, the Knicks didn't have Phil Jackson. Pat Riley was a damn good coach but he never was and never will be a Phil Jackson. The Knicks were a bunch of knuckle heads and adding Pippen to the mix wouldn't better their case. With the Bulls, it was Jordan and some Pippen and the rest. Jackson managed to make that work, Riley never fully did. On top, Ewing was far behind in leadership compared to Mike. Jordan and Jackson could hold Pippen down, Ewing would have been eaten alive.

And like @TeoTheGreek13 said: with Pippen in the mix, the Knicks would have never been able to assemble the same team. But even if they would have been able to do this, the competition was fierce: Bulls, Magic, Cavaliers, Sonics, Suns, Blazers, Rockets, Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, Jazz... Six plus rings for the Ewing-Pippen Knicks? Give me a break, common.

Realistically saying they assemble the same core think the Knicks would win 2-3 rings. Pat Riley wasn't Phil Jackson but he was a great coach he had won 5 championships as a coach (1 as an assistant). The Knicks were knuckleheads but Pippen would fit perfectly with them. Pippen was a hot head at times and had the same hard nosed defensive mentality that guys like Mase, Oak and Starks had. Also IMO the Knicks would have more depth and would probably be a top 3 defensive team in NBA. Also the Celtics, Pistons, Lakers, Cavaliers of the 90s aren't particularly fierce competition. They were only good for the first few years of the 90s.

Posted · Report post

Because Ewing would've never retired.

And...? Hakeem, anyone?

Posted · Report post

Realistically saying they assemble the same core think the Knicks would win 2-3 rings. Pat Riley wasn't Phil Jackson but he was a great coach he had won 5 championships as a coach (1 as an assistant). The Knicks were knuckleheads but Pippen would fit perfectly with them. Pippen was a hot head at times and had the same hard nosed defensive mentality that guys like Mase, Oak and Starks had. Also IMO the Knicks would have more depth and would probably be a top 3 defensive team in NBA. Also the Celtics, Pistons, Lakers, Cavaliers of the 90s aren't particularly fierce competition. They were only good for the first few years of the 90s.

Correction: the Knicks would have been the best defensive team in the NBA.

And I mentioned those teams because Pippen was drafted in 1987 so the Knicks would have faced those teams at their peaks.