• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   WrongIslander 2.0

WrongIslander 2.0

Inventor of the Turf and Turf

• Members
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Looking at the teams as they stand, who do you believe should be the teams to watch who can go all the way this year?

In order:

1. OKC - They look even better this year and are quietly (well in comparison to the Clippers at least) doing their thing.

2. Spurs - Fundamentally as sound as ever, they've been there, they've done it and they can do it again.

3. Knicks - That's right I said it, I think there is a new beast in the east and when we get Shump and Amar'e back I think that can give us the edge over Miami.

4. Heat - Defending champions for a reason, they will go close again but I don't see them as good as last year which is strange given the additions they made.

5 - Clippers - Have everything they need but the experience and regardless of whether their run is as impressive as people think or not, i've been damn impressed. They've taken the style from last year and added efficiency, might have something to do with CP3!

6. Warriors - Been excellent this year and only going to get better when Bogut comes back.

7. Bulls - Have the experience and when Rose gets back they are going to fly again.

8. Memphis - Like the Bulls but without Rose.

9. Nuggets - One of the most complete teams in the league they are learning and growing by the game and have one of the biggest home advantages in all of sports.

10. Hawks - Always there or there abouts.

Notable exclusions:

Lakers - I already said they won't win anything with MA regardless of their all star calibre roster.

Pacers - just missed out.

Wolves - they're going the right way but time is what they need to gel.

Blazers - See Wolves.

Rockets - the real dark horses I love the way they are playing at the moment and their transition game gives them a shot against anyone.
  • The Future and airWarrior like this

shakira.gif?w=300

Brendan Rodger's Liverpool we're on our way to glory!

"I thoroughly enjoyed my team mates and I always said that when I left the Celtics I couldn't go to heaven because that would be a step down" - The Great Bill Russell

#2 OFFLINE   Motion

Motion

Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• Members
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

Miami 4?

They should be 1 on everybody's list since they are reigning champs and have the best player in the world.

MOTIONHOOPSNATION

Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   WrongIslander 2.0

WrongIslander 2.0

• Members
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Miami 4?

They should be 1 on everybody's list since they are reigning champs and have the best player in the world.

They also have no post game and it's much harder to win with the target of champions on your back.

shakira.gif?w=300

"I thoroughly enjoyed my team mates and I always said that when I left the Celtics I couldn't go to heaven because that would be a step down" - The Great Bill Russell

#4 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Tier 1: Heat, Thunder, Spurs
Tier 2: Clippers, Lakers (logic says), Celtics (logic says too, but...)
Tier 3: Knicks, Grizzlies, Warriors, Bulls

***Tier 3 are in the verge of being pretenders the way I look at the term "contender".

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers

• Global Moderators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

They also have no post game and it's much harder to win with the target of champions on your back.

and they get outrebounded by 50 every other night. The best player in the world seems to mask that issue.

tumblr_ndb7786b8s1r3mm52o1_500.jpg

#6 OFFLINE   Motion

Motion

• Members
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

Regardless, they obviously have faults but they should be one just because of the fact that they are reigning champions and have an even better squad compared to last year.

MOTIONHOOPSNATION

Posted Image

#7 OFFLINE   WrongIslander 2.0

WrongIslander 2.0

• Members
  • 8,152 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Tier 1: Heat, Thunder, Spurs
Tier 2: Clippers, Lakers (logic says), Celtics (logic says too, but...)
Tier 3: Knicks, Grizzlies, Warriors, Bulls

***Tier 3 are in the verge of being pretenders the way I look at the term "contender".

There is nothing logical about assuming the Lakers with a first year coach (for them) will win anything.

The Celtics are stuck between rebuild and stay loyal and while DMC and others could come in and make them relevant again that wouldn't be talking about what they have now.

The fact the Knicks are 21 and 9 and have a perennial allstar to comeback is something I think people overlook. Also Melo can pocket LeBron and has many times.

and they get outrebounded by 50 every other night. The best player in the world seems to mask that issue.

I believe the competition will be more fierce this year and I also believe Wade won't be as effective in the playoffs. Just a hunch.

This is all just my opinion. Obviously factually the Heat should be number 1 based on the previous year but I'm talking about what I've seen and adding in the caveat of players returning.

Also why don't you all make your lists? That was kind of the point. :)

shakira.gif?w=300

#8 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers

• Global Moderators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Tier 1: Heat, Clippers, Spurs, Thunder, Knicks
Tier 2: Grizzlies, Warriors,
Tier 3: Celtics, Lakers, Bulls

I believe the competition will be more fierce this year and I also believe Wade won't be as effective in the playoffs. Just a hunch.

This is all just my opinion. Obviously factually the Heat should be number 1 based on the previous year but I'm talking about what I've seen and adding in the caveat of players returning.

Also why don't you all make your lists? That was kind of the point. :)

No, I'm agreeing with you. I don't see how they can repeat either

& Just because the Heat won the title last year doesn't mean they're the best team this season. Other teams have improved as well
  • WrongIslander 2.0 likes this

#9 OFFLINE   Kill BeIl

Kill BeIl

Ball hard D-waiters

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Lol.
Miami should be #1 on everybodys list.
seriously? Knicks and especially the spurs over miami? LOL

Lakers should be higher too btw, theyre having chemistry problems but will have a great chance to win it all at the end.
  • Motion likes this

tWAO9.png

#10 OFFLINE   Motion

Motion

• Members
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

AT THIS POINT

1: Heat
2: OKC
3: Spurs
4: Clippers
5: Knicks
6: Lakers
7: Celtics
8: Grizzlies

MOTIONHOOPSNATION

Posted Image

#11 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers

• Global Moderators
  • 18,748 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think people are giving the Lakers & Celtics far too much credit. On no planet are they better than the Grizz & Knicks
  • WrongIslander 2.0 and Nashty like this

#12 OFFLINE   Kill BeIl

Kill BeIl

Ball hard D-waiters

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

AT THIS POINT

switch clippers and spurs and that list is perfect. u can go either way though

tWAO9.png

#13 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

There is nothing logical about assuming the Lakers with a first year coach (for them) will win anything.

The Celtics are stuck between rebuild and stay loyal and while DMC and others could come in and make them relevant again that wouldn't be talking about what they have now.

The fact the Knicks are 21 and 9 and have a perennial allstar to comeback is something I think people overlook. Also Melo can pocket LeBron and has many times.

In a different case I'd agree with you about the coach thing but two stars and two superstars in the same team make them contenders IMO.
Also, the Celtics, the last couple of years have been bad at the beginning of the RS. Last season they were below .500 at the all-star break and then they went off. Plus, they're a completely different team in the playoffs. But still, you gotta have some doubts by watching them play right now. Although, I still think they're tier 2 contenders.

And about the Knicks, I want to see the effect Amare will have on the team and if he has a postitive effect I don't mind putting them in the 2nd tier.

And I don't believe my 1st tier is gonna change.

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#14 OFFLINE   Young Gee

Young Gee

Idol

• Members
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Heat, OKC, Clippers, Lakers, Memphis, Knicks in no order

tumblr_n4v5gpX7NQ1rtequ6o1_500.gif

russell-westbrook-3-and-strut-game-4-aga

#15 OFFLINE   Ben

Ben

• 29,306 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:39 PM

1. Heat
2. Thunder
3. Lakers
4. Spurs
5. Celtics
6. Knicks
7.Memphis

#16 OFFLINE   LeBron Said™

LeBron Said™

3 Rings

• Members
  • 8,399 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

you realize the Heat are just cruising through the regular season right now right?
  • TeoTheGreek13 likes this

.2zzlx0j.jpg

#3Rings

#17 OFFLINE   Void

Void

Hall of Fame

• Members
  • 2,556 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

As of right now:

1. Thunder
2. Clippers
3. Heat
4. Knicks
5. Spurs

I don't think the Spurs will win anything, but I put them in there out of respect.

I put the Knicks in based on their record, and the fact that they wiped the floor with Miami twice. Felton's injury will hurt them though.

The Clippers are on a roll, have a top 5 player, and probably the deepest bench in the league.

The Thunder are probably the best team as of right now, but I don't like how they rely on jump shots so much.

The Heat are the champs, but are slumping right now. The addition of Ray Allen didn't solve any of their weaknesses.

I don't have the Celtics in there because they look awful

I don't have the Lakers in there, but a month from now that can change.

#18 OFFLINE   dwade06

dwade06

Rookie

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:18 AM

1.Heat
2.OKC
3.Spurs
4.Clippers
5.Lakers(if they are able to put it together)

#19 OFFLINE   airWarrior

airWarrior

aunt jemima hoyo hoyo

• 15,922 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

AT THIS POINT

What the hell? 2 teams below .500 and out of the playoffs "AT THIS POINT" are top 7 contenders? But you forget about the Warriors, tied for 6th in the league and Hawks #8?

W1UezfD.gif

#20 OFFLINE   Motion

Motion

• Members
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

What the hell? 2 teams below .500 and out of the playoffs "AT THIS POINT" are top 7 contenders? But you forget about the Warriors, tied for 6th in the league and Hawks #8?

They are having a bad season but you can't ever count out the Celtics or Lakers.

MOTIONHOOPSNATION

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users