Photo

What's the real definition of "clutch"?

• Please log in to reply

Poll: What's clutch? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Best Definition of clutch?

1. A man that can play great in must-win game and clutch situation regardless of stats (9 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. A player that can make great stats despite having trouble in the late game (1 votes [8.33%])

Percentage of vote: 8.33%

3. No such thing that's existed (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 OFFLINE   Fakhrul

Fakhrul
  • Madness is Delicious!

• 246 posts

This's something that i found to be quite difficult to be measured.There are players that has his stats lowered a bit or much that have great clutch plays (e.x. Bird, Kareem, and even Wilt), while there are players that has his stats inflated despite being inconsistant in his plays (e.x. Paul Arizin).There are also games where a player got a better stats than his average while having trouble in the late game (e.x. Russell got 15 points and 29 rebounds in the game 7 of 1965 ECF, while he let Wilt scored 8 clutch points and almost costed his team a ticket to final by committed a turnover with 5 seconds left with only 1 point advantage.Meanwhile, Wilt's "only" have 30 points and 32 rebounds despite making clutch plays in that game that leading his team in the attempt to cut the 10 points deficit.Who's more clutch in that game?).
So, what's the best explanation for clutch player? A man that can play great in the crunch situation regardless of his stats?Or a player that can make good stats in important game despite having problem in some part?Or the real definition isn't exist at all?

Posted Image

Goat Battle

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

#2 OFFLINE   Kill BeIl

Kill BeIl
  • Ball hard D-waiters

• 3,148 posts

Clutch means hitting shots with one minute left in the 4th quarter of a tied game or when you're down to put your team up.

tWAO9.png

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

#3 OFFLINE   Antetokounmpo

Antetokounmpo
  • Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• 3,143 posts

4th Quarter statistics, end of the 4th quarter stats, game tieing/winning shots/plays, success in elimination games

2014-2015 Dynasty Team (4 straight championships ... going for 5)

PG: Payton / Wroten / Christon SG: Harkless / Jackson

SF: Durant / Antetokounmpo / Caboclo

PF: Davis / Grant C: Favors / Biyombo 

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:25 PM

#4 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers
  • Pels stacked league [expletive deleted]

• 17,778 posts

• Fakhrul likes this
Not being afraid of the moment. I don't believe it has anything to do with making walk off jumpshots or having inflated stats in the 4th quarter and I don't believe that being clutch is some exclusive group that only the best of the best are invited to. Being clutch doesn't mean you shoot 100% or a higher % from the field in the 4th quarter. For me it just means that an athlete's performance doesn't significantly change for the worse in the games waning moments. Kobe Bryant is Kobe Bryant from the 1st quarter to the 4th. His level of play doesn't rise in the 4th quarter despite popular belief, he's an elite volume scorer from the 1st quarter to the 4th. Cam Newton is Cam Newton from the 1st quarter to the 3rd. In the 4th quarter he chokes. When the game is on the line he folds like an origami, for some reason or another his play significantly changes when the pressure is at it's highest.

If there is such a thing as choking, which there is, then there has to be an extreme opposite. That'd be clutch.

IllfatedLoneGermanspaniel.gif

"If the truth is cruel then lies must be kind. That's why kindness is a lie" - Hikigaya

Posted 01 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

#5 OFFLINE   WTAP

WTAP
  • Hall of Fame

• 2,559 posts

Not being afraid of the moment. I don't believe it has anything to do with making walk off jumpshots or having inflated stats in the 4th quarter and I don't believe that being clutch is some exclusive group that only the best of the best are invited to. Being clutch doesn't mean you shoot 100% or a higher % from the field in the 4th quarter. For me it just means that an athlete's performance doesn't significantly change for the worse in the games waning moments. Kobe Bryant is Kobe Bryant from the 1st quarter to the 4th. His level of play doesn't rise in the 4th quarter despite popular belief, he's an elite volume scorer from the 1st quarter to the 4th. Cam Newton is Cam Newton from the 1st quarter to the 3rd. In the 4th quarter he chokes. When the game is on the line he folds like an origami, for some reason or another his play significantly changes when the pressure is at it's highest.

If there is such a thing as choking, which there is, then there has to be an extreme opposite. That'd be clutch.

I agree with this. And I might be derailing this thread a little but he was the exact opposite in college.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:23 PM

#6 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers

• 17,778 posts

I agree with this. And I might be derailing this thread a little but he was the exact opposite in college.

Hasn't translated to the pros for some reason. Still holding out hope that this is just a growing pain but now I'm starting to give up hope. I look at rookies like Luck, Wilson and RG3 and wonder why Cam pales in comparison.

"If the truth is cruel then lies must be kind. That's why kindness is a lie" - Hikigaya

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

#7 OFFLINE   WTAP

WTAP
  • Hall of Fame

• 2,559 posts

Hasn't translated to the pros for some reason. Still holding out hope that this is just a growing pain but now I'm starting to give up hope. I look at rookies like Luck, Wilson and RG3 and wonder why Cam pales in comparison.

It's not horrible. Carolina improved in their first year under him. Not everyone will succeed right off the bat.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:06 PM

#8 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers

• 17,778 posts

It's not horrible. Carolina improved in their first year under him. Not everyone will succeed right off the bat.

He's far from horrible but I'm waiting for him to realize his potiential. Cam's struggles don't have anything to do with his talent, it's just his attitude and non-existent leadership qualities. We did improve last year but that team should've reached the playoffs. This years team should've reached the playoffs. Next year we have to take that next step.

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:11 PM

#9 ONLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13
  • Basketballholic

• 23,932 posts

Clutch doesn't have a standard definiteion IMO.

Of course, in a close game, the last minutes are considered clutch minutes. But you can also have a whole game which can be clutch (mainly in the playoffs).
The key is, like Carolina Panthers said, not to be afraid of the moment and that's the reason I've said many times that if I had to choose on player from today's league to take the last shot for the win in a do or die situation in the playoffs, that would be Kobe despite not being better than Durant, Melo or LeBron (talking about clutch situations).
He's just the mentally toughest player in the league IMO. Nothing can intimidate him.

But also, people need to realise that clutch is not just scoring. You can make clutch defensive plays, you can grab clutch offensive boards and take time away from the opponents, you can grab defensive boards and not allow the opponent to have second possession in a row which will fatigue the defense, you can make a clutch assist (which may require mental attributes. Not panic for example and clear mind) etc.

When a player misses a clutch shot, smartasses come out in a blink of an eye and call him a choker. People have forget that there is a possibility you just lose a shot. It's not make or choke. If a player missing a shot in clutch make him choker, then almost any player in the league is both choker and clutch.

Whether a player is clutch or not can only be shown by his all-around consistency and production under pressure situations.
My answer would be "a player who can help his team win by any means necassary under pressure situations" so, the closest is the first choice.

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

Posted 02 January 2013 - 05:26 AM

#10 OFFLINE   Saint Nick C

Saint Nick C
  • I'M A BOOZER

• 7,256 posts

• The Future likes this
Being clutch has nothing to do with winning or losing or performing in the fourth quarter. It being the beacon of hope when your team is struggling. Make the right plays to get the team within striking range or victory. Clutch gets too much credit for always belonging to the winner. That's not the case at all. I've seen guys go all out (above and beyond) and carry teams that end up losing. But without that player the game would've been a blow out. There would've been no competitive angle or spirit.

Its also a shame that it seems only superstars get the "clutch" label attached to them, when guys like Mario Ellie, Robert Horry, Andrew Toney, Jason Terry, John Paxson, Rex Chapman, Gar Heard, Bobby Jones...

Clutch is rising up to the challenge, and doing anything it takes to win.

Even if that means defeat.

Jerry West went to the Finals 9 times and won once... But he's known as Mr. Clutch. Get the point?

tumblr_mlpz5bjnjP1revfvbo2_500.gif

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
Mark Twain

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

#11 OFFLINE   Jan_Sobieski™

Jan_Sobieski™
  • #Polish- Slavic Swag

• 4,641 posts

Having a winning percentage above .500 when it comes to Finals win versus appearances. Thats the ultimate for me.

You never put a limit onto the Citizens.

melo-and-the-wonderful-knicks1.gif

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:58 AM

#12 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT
Being clutch is doing well down the strectch. But like others stated it doesn't have to be scoring wise. It could be anything just playing well down the stretch. And like Teo said a game could be clutch.

Being clutch has nothing to do with winning or losing or performing in the fourth quarter. It being the beacon of hope when your team is struggling. Make the right plays to get the team within striking range or victory. Clutch gets too much credit for always belonging to the winner. That's not the case at all. I've seen guys go all out (above and beyond) and carry teams that end up losing. But without that player the game would've been a blow out. There would've been no competitive angle or spirit.

Its also a shame that it seems only superstars get the "clutch" label attached to them, when guys like Mario Ellie, Robert Horry, Andrew Toney, Jason Terry, John Paxson, Rex Chapman, Gar Heard...

Clutch is rising up to the challenge, and doing anything it takes to win.

Even if that means defeat.

Robert Horry has always been recognized as clutch though. Derek Fisher and Paxson and Steve Kerr are recognized as clutch as well. They aren't superstars.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:59 AM

#13 OFFLINE   The Future

The Future
  • #RipCity #brehsquad

• 25,914 posts

There's no definition.

In general it's about doing the things that your team needs to win. Even if the team is losing and someone does a good job to bring them close, it's still clutch

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

#14 OFFLINE   Saint Nick C

Saint Nick C
  • I'M A BOOZER

• 7,256 posts

Being clutch is doing well down the strectch. But like others stated it doesn't have to be scoring wise. It could be anything just playing well down the stretch. And like Teo said a game could be clutch.

Robert Horry has always been recognized as clutch though. Derek Fisher and Paxson and Steve Kerr are recognized as clutch as well. They aren't superstars.

Uh...Yeah. I know they aren't superstars. That was my point. What I'm also saying is that so many superstars are labeled as clutch and get a lot of the praise, but that there are superstars with the "label" that haven't even remotely hit a many clutch shots as Mario Ellie and Horry and Paxson.

tumblr_mlpz5bjnjP1revfvbo2_500.gif

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
Mark Twain

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

#15 OFFLINE   Diamantidis is GOAT

Diamantidis is GOAT

Uh...Yeah. I know they aren't superstars. That was my point. What I'm also saying is that so many superstars are labeled as clutch and get a lot of the praise, but that there are superstars with the "label" that haven't even remotely hit a many clutch shots as Mario Ellie and Horry and Paxson.

My bad misunderstood.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted 02 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome Guest!

Hello and welcome to our forums, Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. You may be required to register to be able to discuss and communicate with other members of our community.