Photo

Is Chandler really an elite defensive Center?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Nashty

Nashty

Amaterasu

• Members
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

I won't lie, i have been on the Chandler bandwagon for awhile. But i'm starting to think that he is getting extremely overrated. I mean, he is a really good defender, but he doesn't seem to have the same Impact that guys like KG, Duncan and a few others have had in their careers. Not even close, just checking by the stats in the last 2 seasons. The Mavs during their championship run allowed about the same amount of points with Chandler off the floor. The biggest difference for the Mavs championship run, besides Dirk which made the Mavs much better on offense as the allowed close to 0.50 more points per possession with Dirk on the floor, and even on defense the Mavs contained their opponent from scoring about 0.2 points with him. IMO Chandler wasn't even the most important defender for the Mavs in their playoff run,Shawn Marion was the one who consistenly help to contain superstar scorers like Kobe, KD and Lebron in the playoffs. And even after Chandler left last season, the Mavs were still just as good defensively, if anything the offense got much worse.

Besides I believe that coaching was also a bigger difference, as Carlisle was the one who came up with the defensive rotation and the pick and roll with Dirk and JJ barea that absolutely killed the Heat in the finals, specially on Game 2 of the Finals.

As for the Knicks, even with Chandler last season they weren't anywhere near close as being a good defensive team, even when Chandler got traded there. They were still very weak defensively, mostly because of Mike D'antoni. The Knicks didn't became one of the top defensive teams until Woodson took over by the last 2 months of last season.

Chandler is no doubt an above average Center, but he's not an elite big man by any means. The biggest reason why everyone loves Chandler is more about his personal presence than his skills on the basketball court, he is a great vocal leader, he is the motivational speaker for the team, a great teammate to have off and on the court which is why other players have started to play better and give more effort on D.
  • Nina Barklartey, Vino and Mr. Smiley like this

tumblr_mqpazvI1hh1sym0a4o1_500.gif

tumblr_nbdynoT22Q1tifa8io1_500.gif

#2 OFFLINE   KKinsey

KKinsey

MVP

• Members
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:42 PM

How do you know it was Carlisle that came up with those adjustments with Barea and Nowitzki?

#3 OFFLINE   WrongIslander 2.0

WrongIslander 2.0

Inventor of the Turf and Turf

• Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

If Chandler is overrated then I dread to think what Noah is ...

shakira.gif?w=300

Brendan Rodger's Liverpool we're on our way to glory!

"I thoroughly enjoyed my team mates and I always said that when I left the Celtics I couldn't go to heaven because that would be a step down" - The Great Bill Russell

#4 OFFLINE   Nashty

Nashty

Amaterasu

• Members
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

If Chandler is overrated then I dread to think what Noah is ...

Almost every Center is overrated nowadays, even Dwight. Just shows how bad the Centers of this era have been compared to the 90s.
  • Nina Barklartey likes this

#5 OFFLINE   DJ.

DJ.

Hey

• Members
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Chadler is an elite defensive center..
  • Jan_Sobieski™ likes this
GSL:INDIANA PACERS GM!

#6 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey

Bernard King 2.0

• Members
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

This is a great question and I have wondered about this myself-
I loved what you wrote and how you supported your position : )

Chandler came into the league with so many expectations and then just kinda "fizzed" out while he was on The Bulls-
He really started coming into his own when he played for The Hornets and hooked up with CP3-
His season with Dallas really put him into the catagory of being "the" defense and toughness that The Mavs needed. Then when they beat the Heat in the Finals and he left Dallas to go to the Knicks- well, people said this even more cuz the Mavs went from The Champs to Cuban looking for a new team and "the guy" to build the Mavs around.
While I think he has been very good and solid with the Knicks- I don't know how "defensively elite" he is...

I do really like him and what he has done for the NBA-
  • Nashty likes this
Why do you love this game? :dribble:

#7 ONLINE   TGIA

TGIA

Look into my eyes, tell me what you see

• Administrators
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Posted Image

tumblr_mi0kc5zCws1qgciy4o1_500.jpg

#8 OFFLINE   WrongIslander 2.0

WrongIslander 2.0

• Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

Almost every Center is overrated nowadays, even Dwight. Just shows how bad the Centers of this era have been compared to the 90s.

Exactly so how can the defensive player of the year not be an elite defensive C?

As for Antoni, I watched in horror as Chandler was not only allowed but encouraged to play man to man including at times perimeter D!

I love you Mike Woodson, you saved my sanity!

shakira.gif?w=300

"I thoroughly enjoyed my team mates and I always said that when I left the Celtics I couldn't go to heaven because that would be a step down" - The Great Bill Russell

#9 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey

Bernard King 2.0

• Members
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

So, so true-
It was a "big man's" game and now it is a PG driven league...
Why do you love this game? :dribble:

#10 OFFLINE   Nashty

Nashty

Amaterasu

• Members
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

This is a great question and I have wondered about this myself-
I loved what you wrote and how you supported your position : )

Chandler came into the league with so many expectations and then just kinda "fizzed" out while he was on The Bulls-
He really started coming into his own when he played for The Hornets and hooked up with CP3-
His season with Dallas really put him into the catagory of being "the" defense and toughness that The Mavs needed. Then when they beat the Heat in the Finals and he left Dallas to go to the Knicks- well, people said this even more cuz the Mavs went from The Champs to Cuban looking for a new team and "the guy" to build the Mavs around.
While I think he has been very good and solid with the Knicks- I don't know how "defensively elite" he is...

I do really like him and what he has done for the NBA-

Yeah, but IMO the impact that he makes on most teams he has been, is the fact that he is a great vocal leader. A lot of the players that have played with him say the same. Chandler made everyone else on the Mavs to put more effort on Defense, he changed their culture, Same with the Knicks.

#11 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

POPULAR

Last year, Chandler lost four games in the RS and the Knicks allowed 113.5 ppg.

If it wasn't for Chandler, the Mavericks would never win the championship. He's a top 5 (maybe top 3) defensive anchor in the league -IMO- and he's one of the handful of guys that can change the course of a game through defense.

I don't know where did you find those stats about his team allowing the same points when he's off the floor but it doesn't really matter to me.
The eye test is always the best and Chandler is pretty impactful as I've noticed.

Howard, Chandler, Asik, Duncan and KG are the players who can have a great impact on defense and change the course of a game.
  • Nina Barklartey, Djoker, The Future and 3 others like this

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#12 ONLINE   Kill BeIl

Kill BeIl

Ball hard D-waiters

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted Image

we all know that shoudlve gone to lebron

tWAO9.png

#13 ONLINE   TGIA

TGIA

• Administrators
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

we all know that shoudlve gone to lebron

No, that's not true.

I'm sure you thought LeBron should have won coach of the year, most improved player, comeback player, and rookie of the year too last year.

#14 OFFLINE   Nashty

Nashty

Amaterasu

• Members
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

Exactly so how can the defensive player of the year not be an elite defensive C?

As for Antoni, I watched in horror as Chandler was not only allowed but encouraged to play man to man including at times perimeter D!

I love you Mike Woodson, you saved my sanity!

IMO he shouldn't had won it,there were other players that had a better case, including Lebron and Shawn Marion himself. And the fact that Dwight was injured. Again, this is something we both agree on, The Knicks started playing much better defense under Woodson.

#15 ONLINE   Kill BeIl

Kill BeIl

Ball hard D-waiters

• Members
  • 3,205 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:53 PM

No, that's not true.

I'm sure you thought LeBron should have won coach of the year, most improved player, comeback player, and rookie of the year too last year.

i was mockin lbj fans breh relax lol

and lmao at coach of the year
  • TGIA likes this

tWAO9.png

#16 OFFLINE   Bay

Bay

Trees and Truths

• Administrators
  • 17,542 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Chandler is one of the biggest reasons, after Dirk's play, why the Mavs won the ship in 2011. He was a defensive anchor for them and they played a zone defense. I've been watching the Knicks for almost as long as I've been watching the Warriors and trust me their defense has improved by A LOT. Tyson Chandler has made this team much better defensively than they would be without them.

Of course coaching had a part in it, just look at the Lakers right now. They have a great defensive player in Dwight and they suck ass at playing defense. But to say Tyson Chandler had no part in their defense and it's sole*ly (making L/EL a swear word was such a great idea) off of coaching is being ignorant. You can't play well defensively without a defensive anchor. Defensive coaches can't just make any player a good defensive player. Melo has put in more effort but without Tyson they would give up 100+ PPG a game.

tumblr_negza0UqyN1rqkpceo1_r1_500.gif

#17 ONLINE   TGIA

TGIA

• Administrators
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

i was mockin lbj fans breh relax lol

and lmao at coach of the year

Well coach of the year one is probably true though

#18 OFFLINE   Nashty

Nashty

Amaterasu

• Members
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Last year, Chandler lost four games in the RS and the Knicks allowed 113.5 ppg.

If it wasn't for Chandler, the Mavericks would never win the championship. He's a top 5 (maybe top 3) defensive anchor in the league -IMO- and he's one of the handful of guys that can change the course of a game through defense.

I don't know where did you find those stats about his team allowing the same points when he's off the floor but it doesn't really matter to me.
The eye test is always the best and Chandler is pretty impactful as I've noticed.

Howard, Chandler, Asik, Duncan and KG are the players who can have a great impact on defense and change the course of a game.

KG's defensive impact on the Celtics is much bigger than his, even at his current age. The Mavs were close to winning it all in 06 with Dampier as their starting Center,the reason they lost was because Avery Johnson was a terrible coach, Dirk didn't play up to his standards and Wade, eventhough he was playing great, got a lot of calls that he didn't deserve.

Chandler is a good defender, but comparing his Defensive impact to the Likes of KG and Howard is ridiculous.
  • Nina Barklartey and Vino like this

#19 OFFLINE   WrongIslander 2.0

WrongIslander 2.0

• Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

IMO he shouldn't had won it,there were other players that had a better case, including Lebron and Shawn Marion himself. And the fact that Dwight was injured. Again, this is something we both agree on, The Knicks started playing much better defense under Woodson.

So if two players should have won it (in your opinion) ahead of him and only one of those is a C does that not logically put him number 2 on the list of best defensive C's?

shakira.gif?w=300

#20 OFFLINE   Nashty

Nashty

Amaterasu

• Members
  • 8,108 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Chandler is one of the biggest reasons, after Dirk's play, why the Mavs won the ship in 2011. He was a defensive anchor for them and they played a zone defense. I've been watching the Knicks for almost as long as I've been watching the Warriors and trust me their defense has improved by A LOT. Tyson Chandler has made this team much better defensively than they would be without them.

Of course coaching had a part in it, just look at the Lakers right now. They have a great defensive player in Dwight and they suck ass at playing defense. But to say Tyson Chandler had no part in their defense and it's sole*ly (making L/EL a swear word was such a great idea) off of coaching is being ignorant. You can't play well defensively without a defensive anchor. Defensive coaches can't just make any player a good defensive player. Melo has put in more effort but without Tyson they would give up 100+ PPG a game.

Which is exactly why you can't be a contender without having a good Coach, I can't mention more than 2 teams that have won it all without a good coach.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users