Tennis

• Please log in to reply

#1 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

Imagine if you had to play a sport from January until almost December-

You had to play on 4 or sometime 5 different surfaces-
You NEVER had a sub and you had no idea just how long your match was going to last-
Sometimes you were indoors and sometimes you were outdoors-
Every single place you played you had different balls- so that affected the way that you had to string your racket-
While you were playing you could have no contact with your coach-
Not only did you have to worry about this years points but you also had to defend last years points-

Oh, I could go on and on but I won't-

What I do know is that this is not a sport for the person who does not have it together mentally or physically...

Ready, Set and go...

we are down under and going to start the very first slam of the 2013 Tennis Season!!!!!
Why do you love this game? :dribble:

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:50 PM

#2 OFFLINE   PurpleYellow™

PurpleYellow™
  • Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• 7,100 posts

• Nina Barklartey likes this
I'm not a huge tennis fan although i always watch the Aussie open since i live in Australia

Untitled_zpsfbe7c682.png

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:14 PM

#3 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

• PurpleYellow™ likes this
You will have to talk about it with me some here, my friend-

I LOVE both basketball and tennis- I probably couldn't tell you which I loved more- I can say that I love H-N wayyyyyyyyyyyyy better than FB and that's where all my tennis friends are- there is just toooooo much fighting, inmature BS and stupid stuff on FB-

I'd love to have some comments as I talk about the 1st slam of the season over here!!!!!
The Happy Slam!!!!!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

#4 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

It is starting - or at least the coverage here in the states...

even though the official tennis season has been going on all month-
The Aussie Open is really the event that "Kicks off" the tennis season and it's a good one to do so...

Venus is playing singles and she has gotten herself back in the top 20- I am so proud of her as I really thought she was done at least in singles with her Shogun's Syndrome!!!!!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

#5 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

It's the 25th anniversary of the Open being played at Melbourne Park-

Serena has won 35 of her last 36 matches going back to last years Wimbledon-
Serena really is probably more focused than I have ever seen her-
She is playing tourney's she normally doesn't and she is just on fire / not just with her serve and forehand either-
She is going to be hard to beat on the women's side unless she get's in her own way!!!!!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

#6 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

1st Match up on ESPN2 = Maria Sharapova v Puchkova (playing on Rod Laver)
Venus will be playing her match on Hysence (sp?) however neither of the players have made their way to the court yet!!

Odds makers have Fed not a favorite to win the Open. That's not good for him. I remember the day when Fedex took guys to his "fun house" and he never lost any of the slams- except the French!!
I have to see how everyone plays but without- I think it will be Nole' and Murray in the Final- I think Murray will when his 2nd Major!!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

#7 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

K- here is an Aussie Open update before I go to watch the Nuggets game...

Maria is smoking her young Russian opponent-
Venus looks really good in her start and has taken the opening set-
Li Na is looking good in her opening match as well-

Sam Stosur will play right after Maria and then Nole' will be on for his opening match!!!!!

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:12 PM

#8 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

Well, while I was gone watching The Nuggets-

Everything is just status quo on both the men's and women's side of the draw here on opening day!!!!!

Djokovic is just now starting his match against Paul Henry Mathieu. While Mathieu has had a nice career. He has also just come back from a major injury that took him out of the entire tennis season last year. Plus when all is said and done, he has to play Nole' in his opening match...

Djokovic just might be at his best on this surface. Also, he has won this slam 3 times already and one could argue that this is "his slam"...

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

#9 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

Fantastic match going on down under on day 1=

Hewitt v Tipsarevic

Janko Tipsarevic is up 2 sets to love 7/6, 7/5 and 1/0 early in the third-
they are on serve
Rusty is playing his heart out but Janko might just be the better man so far-
But still a tennis match can change on a "dime" if Janko even takes his "eye" off of this one for even a moment...
Especially against a guy like Hewitt and especially down under where the fans are here for Rusty!!!!!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:44 AM

#10 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

Janko has won in straight sets and Hewitt is gone after the 1st round-

I wonder if Rusty has ever had to go home after the 1st round in his 17 consecutive Aussie Opens ever?????

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:21 AM

#11 OFFLINE   PurpleYellow™

PurpleYellow™

• 7,100 posts

Janko has won in straight sets and Hewitt is gone after the 1st round-

I wonder if Rusty has ever had to go home after the 1st round in his 17 consecutive Aussie Opens ever?????

I just watched this game. It's a shame Hewitt couldn't the win but there is still another Australian to to cheer for tomorrow Benard Tomic

Untitled_zpsfbe7c682.png

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:52 AM

#12 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

I just watched this game. It's a shame Hewitt couldn't the win but there is still another Australian to to cheer for tomorrow Benard Tomic

I love Tomic and really think he has a bright future ahead of him, my friend-
I love his attitude too- he doesn't care if he's playing Fed, Nadal or Nole' - he is not gonna back down to anyone anywhere either!!!!!

I love Sam too- I was so happy when she won the US Open-

There is a great match right now too-
Baghdatis v Ramos
Each has a set and Marcos is up 5/4 in the 3rd...

I love Tennis and Basketball!!!!!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:05 AM

#13 OFFLINE   PurpleYellow™

PurpleYellow™

• 7,100 posts

I love Tomic and really think he has a bright future ahead of him, my friend-
I love his attitude too- he doesn't care if he's playing Fed, Nadal or Nole'
I love Sam too- I was so happy when she won the US Open-

There is a great match right now too-
Baghdatis v Ramos
Each has a set and Marcos is up 5/4 in the 3rd...

I love Tennis and Basketball!!!!!

yeh, I love watching baghdatis play, especially when he gets fired up and brakes a few racquets, haha

Untitled_zpsfbe7c682.png

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:10 AM

#14 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

• PurpleYellow™ likes this
I love him-

I remember the very 1st time I saw him play Rafa- Rafa went out to the net for the coin toss and was bouncing around the way he does- Marcos just started bouncing around right back at him- it was great!!!!!

You GOTTA be like that in this sport- I remember when I played, it was so, so emotional and "in between my ears"-
Playing tennis really helped me become a better basketball player I believe- I was able to tune things out more, focus much better and concentrate that much harder...

I can't play either anymore but I loved it when I could!!!!!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:21 AM

#15 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

Ramos is only 3 for 15 on his Break Point Chances- that's not gonna get it done young fella- not against a guy with a first serve like Marcos Baghdatis- He has 17 aces!!!!!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 04:45 AM

#16 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

So Day 1 is in the books, Down Under-

Everything was really status quo with the exception of Leyton Hewitt being dismissed after his first round match- now he did play Janko Tipserovic who is in the top 10 in the World- so bad luck of the draw for old Rusty...

I do have to say that even though this isn't the 1st tennis I have watched this 2013 Season- I was really amazed at the level of play that I saw on day 1- especially the match between Janko and Rusty and the match between Baghdatis and Ramos-
I hope those two matches are signs of what we can hope to see throughout the entire Aussie Open!!!!!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:26 AM

#17 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

If I didn't require sleep, I could watch almost all of the matches at the Happy Slam- at least the marque ones!!!!!

From 7 PM- 5 AM I watch it on ESPN2 then at 5 AM I switch over to the Tennis Channel and watch there until 7 PM-
Of course after 2 weeks I would be dead so this is not a good idea...

However, you have nooooooooooooooo idea how long I have ordered, begged and even demanded this kind of coverage here in Ft. Collins, Co.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 06:48 AM

#18 OFFLINE   Jack Broudy

Jack Broudy
  • GO FROM GOOD TO GREAT

• 1 posts

Retro: When Steve Johnson and Steve Forman were in the finals of the Natl Hardcourt Dubs in the 14s (San Antonio), they split sets, losing the second set. As Forman's coach, I told Johnson (and Forman) to "go for your backhands and stop running around and chipping them." I would have to say, although I think Stevie has a nasty slice backhand, it would still serve him better to hit more two-handers and not so many one-handed slices playing it too safe. That may well have made the difference last night. Stevie has a nice two hander too. But of course his monster forehand is his bread and butter. Still great effort by the young American. BTW, Forman and Johnson did win the third set and the tournament, way back when.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:55 AM

#19 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey
  • Bernard King 2.0

• 5,931 posts

• Jack Broudy likes this

Retro: When Steve Johnson and Steve Forman were in the finals of the Natl Hardcourt Dubs in the 14s (San Antonio), they split sets, losing the second set. As Forman's coach, I told Johnson (and Forman) to "go for your backhands and stop running around and chipping them." I would have to say, although I think Stevie has a nasty slice backhand, it would still serve him better to hit more two-handers and not so many one-handed slices playing it too safe. That may well have made the difference last night. Stevie has a nice two hander too. But of course his monster forehand is his bread and butter. Still great effort by the young American. BTW, Forman and Johnson did win the third set and the tournament, way back when.

YEAH JACK YOU ARE HERE!!!!!
THANKS SO, SO MUCH AND IT IS GREAT TO SEE YOU HERE!!!!!

PLEASE FEEL FREE TO POST HERE WHERE I HAVE THE TENNIS THREAD ON WHATEVER TENNIS RELATED TOPIC YOU HAVE- ESPECIALLY SINCE YOU HAVE COACHED SOME OF THE PLAYERS ACTUALLY PLAYING IN THE OPEN!!!!!

WELCOME AND THANKS AGAIN JACK- HAVING YOU HERE IS AWESOME!!!!!

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

#20 OFFLINE   FeedOx

FeedOx
Baghdatis vs. Ramos was a cracking match. I didn't expect the Spaniard to raise his game and step up in the fourth and force a deciding set.

Posted 14 January 2013 - 11:14 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome Guest!

Hello and welcome to our forums, Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. You may be required to register to be able to discuss and communicate with other members of our community.