Photo

Chargers Hire Mike McCoy as Coach

• Please log in to reply

#1 OFFLINE   ClipShow

ClipShow
  • Put Me In, Coach

• 124 posts

The San Diego Chargers have their guy.
The Chargers announced Tuesday they have selected Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy as their new head coach. The team will formally introduce McCoy as their coach during a news conference scheduled for 5 p.m. ET.

The Chargers were in the market for an offensive-minded leader, and McCoy fits the bill. San Diego knows him well, having faced Denver eight times during McCoy's four-year tenure with the Broncos. NFL.com's Albert Breer reported earlier Tuesday that theChargers had agreed on a deal to make McCoy their coach and the successor to Norv Turner. A Broncos team source told Breer that Denver's former offensive coordinator informed the team of his plans Tuesday morning.

http://www.nfl.com/n...-chargers-coach

Wow, I can't believe this. Why would they hire this guy when Lovie Smith was available? The only reason that this guy was hired in the first place was because most people didn't even expect Broncos' coordinators and coaching staff to be available for interviews until after the Super Bowl. Come on though, Smith was clearly the better fit, this team needs defense and an offensive line for Rivers. They had enough pieces to quickly contend again too...

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

#2 OFFLINE   TGIA

TGIA
Ty McCoy must be very proud.

I agree they shoulda have got Lovie, let's see how this turns out.

U25061-1339176889.png

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

#3 OFFLINE   Carolina Panthers

Carolina Panthers
I'll never forget our game in week 15. Greg Hardy and Charles Johnson man-handled the crap out of the Chargers O-Line, Rivers had no protection whatsoever. You've got to get that patched up first and foremost.

On the bright side, with Mccoy being head coach you'll have an edge when you face the Broncos twice a year.

I figured Lovie would be a good fit but then again, I wouldn't be surprised if no one hired him. Just a hunch.

ib11WAqf5J7DxS.gifi1WsvbSkT93BO.gif

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

#4 OFFLINE   Charles

Charles
  • $$ The One $$

• 2,215 posts

Really surprising hire in my opinion, but he did win a playoff game with Tim Tebow! Haha

Chargers need an offensive line, a running back who isn't injury prone, Gates is getting old, they need a good big receiver to replace Jackson ... that's a lot of problems just on the offensive end of the game that need to be addressed.

Team has been in a downward spiral since they fired Marty after going 14-2...

Posted 15 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

#5 OFFLINE   ClipShow

ClipShow
  • Put Me In, Coach

• 124 posts

Really surprising hire in my opinion, but he did win a playoff game with Tim Tebow! Haha

Chargers need an offensive line, a running back who isn't injury prone, Gates is getting old, they need a good big receiver to replace Jackson ... that's a lot of problems just on the offensive end of the game that need to be addressed.

Team has been in a downward spiral since they fired Marty after going 14-2...

I agree, we never should have fired Marty. But I don't think Norv was the problem like everyone said he was. He did take the team to an AFC Championship game and had the team within striking distance of a championship. I think the biggest problem was AJ Smith letting everyone on our team leave for free agency and signing aging veterans who were past their prime to replace them. Darren Sproles was a big one, but he never signed another decent running back to replace LT and let Michael Turner go to the Falcons without signing a replacement. He also let Vincent Jackson walk in FA this year and signed players like Bob Sanders and Ronnie Brown, who couldn't stay on the field at all

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

#6 OFFLINE   Truth34

Truth34
  • Red Sox

• 17,655 posts

• ClipShow likes this
We need an offensive lineman who will give Rivers more than 2 seconds to stay in the pocket. If you look at the O Line for the seasons when we were in the playoffs and when Rivers had great seasons it was

McNeil-Dielman-Hardwick-Vasquez-RT was always changing, but that's 3 all pros and 4 pro bowlers. This past season the only O lineman who was good was Hardwick. That needs to be addressed before anything.

Our WR core looks pretty solid for the future, but we need to start looking at possible TEs to replace Gates when he retires. Danario Alexander had a great season considering he was on the practice squad to start the season. He has great hands and is good at catching the longball. Vincent Brown was injured but he's also very young and promising. Floyd is a given, he's still a good player.

roindotip.gifrondop2.gif

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

#7 OFFLINE   Flip

Flip
  • Greatest Poster of All-Time?

• 8,601 posts
I don't see much of an upside for the Chargers, here. They need defense.

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:24 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Welcome Guest!

Hello and welcome to our forums, Sign In or Register to gain full access to our forums. You may be required to register to be able to discuss and communicate with other members of our community.