When Lebron James loses His Atleticism

51 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Do you all still think he will dominate when he is in his 30s the reason I say 30s is because those are the years where your athleticism starts to decline a bit but he passes like a point guard he has a solid jumper he is a good defender and has a good post game and a high basketball IQ what do you guys think will he still dominate

Posted · Report post

Vince Carter is still averaging 10 pts a game.

LeBron's skill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vince's skill

Therefore when/if LeBron loses his athleticism I think he could still drop 20 a game.

Posted · Report post

Dominate? No.

The thing is, how is it possible to lose such athleticism? It's not just the leaping ability...

I think James will have the athleticism advantage for many many years.

@

At LeBron - Carter thing... no. The difference is not that big and if it wasn't for James' court vision and passing, I'd give the edge to Vince as his shooting and his versatility when it comes to scoring >> James'.

JMO.

Elite Greatness likes this

Posted · Report post

Vince Carter is still averaging 10 pts a game.

LeBron's skill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Vince's skill

Therefore when/if LeBron loses his athleticism I think he could still drop 20 a game.

Just 20 I dont know about that one I believe he could still average 25 or 26 a game in his 30s he just has to keep developing his jumper unless he wants to switch to a full time point guard and Average a double double every game.

Dominate? No.

The thing is, how is it possible to lose such athleticism? It's not just the leaping ability...

@

At LeBron - Carter thing... no. The difference is not that big and if it wasn't for James' court vision and passing, I'd give the edge to Vince as his shooting and his versatitility when it comes to scoring >> James'.

JMO.

He could still dominate a game its not just his scoring its his court vision and his passing abilities I could see 25/8/7

Dominate? No.

@

At LeBron - Carter thing... no. The difference is not that big and if it wasn't for James' court vision and passing, I'd give the edge to Vince as his shooting and his versatitility when it comes to scoring >> James'.

JMO.

And when you look at old players that lost some of their atleticism like Jordan Kobe they still were really good players

Posted · Report post

He could still dominate a game its not just his scoring its his court vision and his passing abilities I could see 25/8/7

And when you look at old players that lost some of their atleticism like Jordan Kobe they still were really good players

Then, it depends on how much of his athleticism he'll lose.

And don't compare the offensive repertoire of James with that of Jordan and Kobe...
25/8/7 for a LeBron without his athleticism? Lol. Those are like his current stats.
Nashty likes this

Posted · Report post

First of all I gotta athleticism isn't all about jumping, or all about speed...

Let's see what he loses athletically, first, along the years, a guy like Dr. J was able to retain plenty of his athleticism in his 30's, for example.

LeBron has plenty of skill but he must keep improving in some areas if he wants to still dominate when/if he loses a good amount of athleticism.

Yeah but those two are/were more versatile scorers, LeBron is yet to reach the level of scoring game they had in areas such as postgame, triple threat moves, jumpshooting, not saying he's bad but no on their level.

Posted · Report post

Then, it depends on how much of his athleticism he'll lose.

And don't compare the offensiv repertoire of James with that of Jordan and Kobe...

25/8/7 for a LeBron without his athleticism? Lol. Those are like his current stats.

Yeah, let's say he loses plenty of athleticism (which I doubt it happens), he wouldn't see players sagging off affraid of his driving more than his shooting, he wouldn't draw as many double teams on his way to the basket enabling him to kick it, he wouldn't be the same beast in transition, he would've had to use more fundamentals for rebounding, he would lose defensive ability... That could hurt him in all areas of his game, sure he could still be a great player but he wouldn't dominate like he does now or close, if he didn't adapt/adjust and improve.

Posted · Report post

LOL at Lebron not being an extraordinarily skilled player. He's one of the best ball-handlers, slashers, finishers, and versatile defenders in the history of the game. He's far above average as a shooter and post player as well. Not to mention court vision and basketball IQ which are passive skills.

Lebron deep into his 30's could still average 22/8/8 or the whereabouts. Plus a player as athletic as him will never be nonathletic.

Ben likes this

Posted · Report post

Dominate? No.

@

JMO.

LeBron's basketball IQ and ability to play multiple positions is what will set him apart from Carter. LeBron can play PG-PF, Vince can't,

Posted · Report post

First of all I gotta athleticism isn't all about jumping, or all about speed...

Let's see what he loses athletically, first, along the years, a guy like Dr. J was able to retain plenty of his athleticism in his 30's, for example.

LeBron has plenty of skill but he must keep improving in some areas if he wants to still dominate when/if he loses a good amount of athleticism.

Yeah but those two are/were more versatile scorers, LeBron is yet to reach the level of scoring game they had in areas such as postgame, triple threat moves, jumpshooting, not saying he's bad but no on their level.

But its not all about scoring magic wasnt known for his scoring but for his passing and still dominated when he was in his 30s Offense is not just about scoring you have to also orchestrate the offense and lebron does that pretty well

Posted · Report post

LeBron's basketball IQ and ability to play multiple positions is what will set him apart from Carter. LeBron can play PG-PF, Vince can't,

Without his athleticism he wouldn't be able to play PF.

And the fact that he can play PG is because of his court vision and passing. Something Vince didn't have. I acknowledge that.

But in terms of fundamentals, Vince > James.

Elite Greatness likes this

Posted · Report post

LOL at Lebron not being an extraordinarily skilled player. He's one of the best ball-handlers, slashers, finishers, and versatile defenders in the history of the game. He's far above average as a shooter and post player as well. Not to mention court vision and basketball IQ which are passive skills.

Lebron deep into his 30's could still average 22/8/8 or the whereabouts. Plus a player as athletic as him will never be nonathletic.

Those skills are directly linked with athleticism.

Posted · Report post

Those skills are directly linked with athleticism.

No they aren't... his ability to protect the ball, maneuver around defenses, and finish acrobatically at the rim with both hands and all angles are all acquired skills. As is defensive awareness, man defense, help defense (knowing when to help?) etc.

Posted · Report post

No they aren't... his ability to protect the ball, maneuver around defenses, and finish acrobatically at the rim with both hands and all angles are all acquired skills. As is defensive awareness, man defense, help defense (knowing when to help?) etc.

Finish acrobatically? He's not Manu - he doesn't do it that often. But a part of it is hangtime which is athleticism.

Also, man to man defense has much to do with strong legs. I don't say every aspect of defense is about athleticism.

Posted · Report post

Derek Fisher has good defensive awareness and knows where to be at all times on the defensive end, but he couldn't defend a tadpole.

Being able to maneuver around defenses relies on athleticism. When you're 33 years old, have 15 years behind you of pro-ball and weigh 260 lbs it's a lot harder than when you're 27 years old and have 9 years of pro-ball behind you. I can see him retaining that skill but not to the level it's at now.

Being able to finish with both hands at all angles are acquired skills. Being able to get to the rim in the first place and do so "acrobatically", are skills that rely on athleticism.

I see LeBron averaging around 21/6/6 on around 48% at 34.

Saint Nick C and Nashty like this

Posted · Report post

Yes Lebron will still be able to dominate. When Kobe began to lose his athleticism he developed a better jumper and a post game. Lebron is shooting over 40% on 3's this year and his post game has been unguardable for the last 2 years I would say he is already preparing for IF he loses his athleticism. Did Jordan ever really lose his athleticism? I say no I mean the guy was 40 playing for the Wizards dunking and one of the most athletic guys on the court. Lebron won't lose his athleticism till late 30's/40's the reason guys lose their athleticism is more because they have done damage to their knees through injuries and then have surgery. Lebron has never had a surgery on anything.

Posted · Report post

Plus a player as athletic as him will never be nonathletic.

Or remotely close to it imo

Posted · Report post

LeBron won't lose his athleticism till his late 30's so it doesn't really matter.

really because I got out my crystal ball and it said otherwise

Posted · Report post

Do you all still think he will dominate when he is in his 30s the reason I say 30s is because those are the years where your athleticism starts to decline a bit but he passes like a point guard he has a solid jumper he is a good defender and has a good post game and a high basketball IQ what do you guys think will he still dominate

As long as he evolves his game like Jordan did then I think Lebron will continue to dominate late in his career. Lebron has shown the ability to improve in areas where he was not good. He has a post game now where as before he did not, and I would say his jumpshot has improved form when he first came in the league as well. He will need to continue to improve his mid and long range game as he gets older to make up for the decline in being able to get to the basket. Right now he needs to work on shooting Free Throws,lol.

Posted · Report post

I think he'll be smart and be able to adjust to how his body reacts later on in his career.

I believe he can still dominate on the offensive end, but he'll show a decline on the defensive end, but he'll still be a big presence, nonetheless.

Posted · Report post

If he ever has a major injury than there could be some concern later in his career. The type of stuff that knocks out guys like Grant HIll, Chris Webber, Penny Hardaway and so on, but he has shown to be extremely durable physically. I think that If and when LeBron starts to lose his lift it will only effect him defensively, like most players actually.

You can always become a better shooter, or gain moves in the psot and so forth. Will he reject players shots form behind and cover PG's form time to time at 30+? Not as often and not as in such spectacular fashion. But thats just how it is.

Big deal.

He is still so skilled and smart that him sliding off as a defender won't be as huge as say most players experience. He relies on his athleticism now because he has an abundance of it... and in time he'll adjust to it like pros do. The game isn't payed in the air. Most people don't get that. They also don't get how much athleticism is overrated in the scheme of being a great or dominant player.

Posted · Report post

He will just adapt his game, hes still going to have elite athleticism for his age up to hes 40 as long as he takes care of his body and doesnt get hurt a lot.