Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Can Kobe become a late catalyst for Defensive Player of the Year?

48 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

***OK, everyone do not freak out or go crazy for the title of this thread... But, obviously this is a super long-shot and it has yet to be fully proven.

But, the past couple games (and from here on out according Mike D'Antoni) Kobe has and will be guarding the team's best opposing offensive player every night and he has done a great job and his defense on the opposing PGs is the reason the Lakers have won the past 2 games. Both teams LAL has recently won against were point guard driven teams and Kobe completely took the PG out of the game and denied the PG the ball for most of the possessions which completely throws off a PG driven offense. And Kyrie and Brandon Jennings are all star caliber players. We have seen in the past that Kobe has the ability to shut down quick point guards, but he did not do it every night. But now according to D'Antoni due to Nash being a liability on defense, Kobe will be guarding the team's best perimeter player every night.

Even the Buck's coach said that Kobe's pressure in the backcourt and on Jennings was amazing and he was the reason that LAL kind of shut Milawakee down. He also said that he has never seen anyone apply that kind of pressure on a PG in the backcourt for an entire game before, especially a PG quick as Brandon Jennings

And say if the Lakers win a bunch of games coming up and their Points Allowed improve and the man Kobe is guarding is always held below his average and/or shoots a low FG% each and every night, that is basically what a perimeter player does when they win DPOY. Kobe would also have to get his steals per game total closer to or above 2spg.

***Obviously is wayyyy too early to tell because we have really only gotten a very, very small sample of what Kobe has and can do to the opposing teams' best players and we will see if he will do it on a nightly basis.

**Thoughts??

Posted · Report post

He plays defense for 2 games and you want him to be a candidate for DPOY? No sorry he can earn some respect defensively if he does this throughout the rest of the season but he skipped 2 months of defense.

Posted · Report post

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Hahaha...

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo....

Posted · Report post

No. He hes been playing good defense lately, but I don't think there's any chance of him winning defensive player of the year.

Posted · Report post

The league never gave kobe enough credit for his defense throughout his career

Dante and Team Player like this

Posted · Report post

The league never gave kobe enough credit for his defense throughout his career

I know. Can't believe he didn't make the all defensive first team last season, tony allen didn't deserve it

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure the inspiration for this thread was only what Jennings said.

Anyway, fck no!!! Lol! If LeBron can't win it, Kobe should never be considered as a candidate.

Bayzus likes this

Posted · Report post

No but one thing is a fact, if you put Kobe on a good player and make him play man, he is above average. If you put him on any player and make him play help defense he doesn't give a [expletive deleted] and sags off. With Nash and Howard he can play defense because on the offensive end he doesn't have the entire ball handling load and has more options.

Posted · Report post

You're insane man! INSANE. Kobe played defense like he didn't give a sh*t till the Cavs game and then the Bucks game, he did an amazing job on Brandon Jennings but that doesn't mean he even stands a chance at winning the defensive player of the year award.

Posted · Report post

LOL at everyone's reaction... I made this thread just to see how people would react! LMFAO!!! Obviously Kobe isn't gonna win DPOY. People actually thought I was being 100 wit this thread? Rofl!

Posted · Report post

I'm pretty sure you were serious, unless that's the first thread you did for fun...

If it was for fun, you wouldn't write all these.

Saint Nick C likes this

Posted · Report post

LOL at everyone's reaction... I made this thread just to see how people would react! LMFAO!!! Obviously Kobe isn't gonna win DPOY. People actually thought I was being 100 wit this thread? Rofl!

I'm with Teo. That's a lot of effort just to get a reaction.

Honestly man.. believe what you want. No harm in that. Stranger things have happened... well... maybe not that strange.

Posted · Report post

I'm with Teo. That's a lot of effort just to get a reaction.

Honestly man.. believe what you want. No harm in that. Stranger things have happened... well... maybe not that strange.

Lol, yea, that was the point.. I put the effort in and made a long statement or explanation to make the ish more believable. Because wat I really was thinkin is... If Kobe continues to lock up the best players every night, he could break the record for most 1st team All NBA Defensive selections at 10 total selections. He is currently tied with MJ with 9 selections for the most ever.

Posted · Report post

Lol, yea, that was the point.. I put the effort in and made a long statement or explanation to make the ish more believable. Because wat I really was thinkin is... If Kobe continues to lock up the best players every night, he could break the record for most 1st team All NBA Defensive selections at 10 total selections. He is currently tied with MJ with 9 selections for the most ever.

Yeah no it wasn't. Just because you realized you looked like a delusional homer don't try to make it seem like it wasn't a serious thread. Kobe's defense has been garbage this entire season, its been pathetic. Kobe thought he didn't have to play defense anymore, now he try's to play defense and guards a second year guard and keeps him on his season average (46%) and keeps a 40% shot chucker on 30% and he's suddenly going to make the first defensive team over tony allen? 30+ games of horrible defense aren't going to be forgotten

“Kobe’s defense, to be accurate, has faltered in recent years, despite his presence on the league’s all-defensive team. The voters have been seduced by his remarkable athleticism and spectacular steals, but he hasn’t played sound, fundamental defense.

"Mesmerized by the ball, he’s gambled too frequently, putting us out of position, forcing rotations that leave a man wide open, and doesn’t keep his feet on the ground.”

-Phil Jackson

Nashty likes this