Saint Nick C

I'M A BOOZER

• Members
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

POPULAR

The Future looks bright.

By Nick C

I've known Darko, aka The Future for over 5 years now (might be longer actually... or not), and in terms of basketball forums friends that's a really long time.

My first memory of Darko was on Yahoo Answers BBall section and it was was an email I received from him. He had read some posts I made and had a simple question, "How do you know so much about the history of basketball?" A simple question, but it stuck me because most younger fans of basketball only really become interested in the history of the game later, if ever... and I saw him as humble, smart and observant. Never relying on numbers, media or the next big fad. Instead of wanting the the whole damn cake, he wanted to know how the cake was made and how to make it.

How could I resist? He reminded me of... me.

H-N, meet my little brother from another mother.

What is your first standout memory of basketball and why did you decide to dive into basketball history.

Well, basketball was one of the first sports that I watched with joy. I started it watching since I know about myself throwing those Rick Barry like shots... about the age of 4. Watching O'Neal, Duncan, young Kobe, Bodiroga (respected basketball legend in Europe), Divac, Stojakovic etc. In short, watching them in action was quite interesting. I still remember when ever I watched highlights of the Diesel and Kobe dunking (I liked LA back in the day, hah! ), I'd jump all day and dream of becoming like these guys one day.

What really pushed me to finding about the history of this lovely game came actually on one day on Y/A when I got in an argument with an user about Malone and Big E, and an another argument on why Russell and Wilt's rankings. When I was burnt in the argument or to put it this way, exposed for my lack of knowledge, I sat and asked myself few questions like "Why do I rank Jordan at the top even though I've barely seen a game from him other than few You Tube highlights? Why did I went with Hayes over Karl? Why was that.." .and you pretty much, get the point.

So, I searched on the Net and found out that lovely site from NBA.com where they have full bios of the Top 50 Anniversary Team with information about playing style, strengths, weakness, few stats and so on. Then, I found out Basketball Reference, a site filled with amazing stats. I'd search on Google posts from variety of sites that made sense and tried to find evidence behind my opinion. For two weeks, I sat down and read all those bios (some of them like 10 times), looked at the stats etc etc which helped me to establish a solid knowledge that increased with time.

Are you actively playing for a team right now? How do you rate yourself and what is your teams history if there is any?

Yes, I'm playing for a team in my town and I'd rate myself as an inconsistent player. There are times when I'm the best player on the court for both teams... I do so much with my versatility.. but there are some games, where I look as a bench warmer instead. What holds me down is actually me. It's really simple. If I go out 110% with maximum focus, I can not only bring people out of their seats and make my coach wonder what kind of a beast I am, but actually succeed in my goals. If I don't go out, I shouldn't be wasting my time on it. As of recently, I've been killing it... because I give it all out. We'll see how I will turn out to be.

BTW, I wouldn't like to speak more about my games because I haven't posted an evidence of myself in action and I have no intentions of posting empty words on my abilities whether I'm giving them too much credit or less. As for my team, we haven't made the PS (team was formed just two years ago), but this year, is the charm.

What one basketball player would you be for a day?

Probably Kyrie Irving. He's realistically speaking the type of player I am most close to when I'm on my game and I have ton of similarities to him.. like great skills but just around average athleticism. I'd like to know how is it like to be able to get out there and dominate a basketball game based on your skill set in front of millions of people on the biggest stage of basketball against the best competition.

Give us a little background. Where are you from? What do you want to do in life?

I'm from Kumanovo, Macedonia. It's the second most crowded town in my country with a population of around 120 000 people or so. Since it's a small town, and there aren't many great paid jobs, I'm thinking of looking my future outside of the borders of my homeland like a lot of young people around here. My biggest issue right now is my future. I'm in an economical school... I'm thinking of finishing it and maybe work one day in that field outside. However, I have a huge love in basketball and all of my family is really high on me becoming a basketball star that I dream to be... they believe in that more than I've ever done so.

I've had quite changes of opinion in this regard. One time, I wanted to become a sports journalist. Then, I somewhat quit of it. As of now, I still have to select what I will do in a near future. Time is going by and I still have no clue whatsoever. For me to go pro, I'd have to be part of the National Team and have a great offer from a team outside of Macedonia. If those conditions are there, I'd go pros...

What ever I will do, my future is definitely outside... either in Slovenia where I'd want to go and see if the conditions are OK for me to study a bit there or Germany, a country with many possibilities (just need to know the language decent enough.. very tough to speak it like them) or the States. We'll see. I'll probably have an idea when I will be couple of years older.

Childhood/Family/social life. Tell us a little bit about it.

I had great childhood. I was raised well by my two parents, who've had both good and bad days (currently in those good days, financially speaking). They've given me almost everything reasonable that I've asked from that... expensive shoes for basketball and they always buy me a juice/chocolate when I ask for them. I'm somewhat shy in terms of asking more, but I'm quite happy.

I have an older brother, whose 20 years old, and is studying on the Economical part of the main state college.. currently first year. Our relation is excellent, he's always taken care of me (I bet not many can say that) and loves me and hopes for the best for me. Both of my parents love me equally much, so I can't complain. I'm actually happy to come out of a family like this... happy, smart and full of life... and I'm taking every advantage and they support me in my goals.

As for my social life, I'm into basketball which means that when most go out... I'm in a gym, feeling the floor, hard work, sweating and working hard... I haven't been anywhere this year after the New Year's parties. I'm still single.. it will come in a better time.

What made you such a big Portland fan?

I wanted to root for a team that would eventually win a title. Back at the time, Portland was thought to be one of those teams with the likes of Roy, Oden and Aldridge as the next Big 3 who'd bring at least one championship in Portland after the Walton led Blazers.

Due to the many injuries, my prediction of Portland winning it all by 2013 is obviously off. In 2009, I had my doubts but none of the top teams attracted me and because I have a history of being an extremely loyal fan, I decided that Portland is my team and what ever happens, I will still be a fan. Eventually God will reward us, the strong believers in this team, that they will win a title in the next 20 years.

I've always admired that you never put people down when they don't know or understand something basketball related. Even something simple. What makes you so balanced and thoughtful of other people? It seems to be a dying skill for most young fans.

That's probably from the environment I come, the way my parents raised me and my personality. I know how is it to get looked down, disrespected and people not to say a hello to you. I've had neighbors who have refused to say hello to me (still do) when I met them in my buildings because they think of themselves as if they're sleeping on a fortune. My mother once told me something on this subject. If someone just doesn't get something and you do, it won't be a bad idea if you helped that someone because you never know when you'll need that other person's help and he could come through for you because you did previously for him.

She also said to me... if you want to be like our neighbors.. dumb, underrate everyone.. go ahead.. but know that the amount of people who will respect you will be counted with your fingers. As for opinions, I've figured that not all of us come from the same environment. Back here, they teach us different things... in other town, city, country etc people are taught differently. It was literally in school when I started to read on the EU and the States that I understood why they're so so much advanced... it's because they can communicate without actually taking each others' eyes and respect their opinions.

The thing that makes me so balanced and thoughtful of other people is never to judge someone from one side... because without actually seeing the other side, you can't have a rightful opinion. It's easy for me to dismiss some things because they have never ever been taken from me. That's something I've learned from older people who I listed carefully when they wanted to tell me something smart from their life experiences and I've some of that in my brain.. so it's natural for me to comment without putting someone down.

What do love about the game? What do you dislike?

The things that I love about the game are team work, display of skills, athleticism, defense, passing and so on. What gets me is the effort of 12 players out there to go out and do what ever is needed for them to win where all are given equal chances of shining. I speak that from experience.. it's always a joy to me when everyone are given chances to succeed, I do great and we win big. Those kind of me moments really get to me emotionally and just make me happy to be out there.

I hate people who look for individual glory because they've hit few shots and think they're Jordan or something... when in reality, they're only streaky scorers and selfish ball hogs who can't do anything well outside of hitting several lucky shots. Also, I don't like it when people look too much on scoring but don't appreciate other aspects of the game... like passing, defense, rebounding, hustle, ability to make people around better etc etc.

How did you get to H-N from Y!A?

I was actually on one site.. RBT (Real Basketball Talk) which was formed with most of Y/A's top users of the day like Nick C, Raza, Jay, Abdul etc. Much like them, I was tired of the poor trolling and decided to join that site. However, in the last year, the site was getting smaller and smaller with users... One day, I logged and got a PM from Nick.

He wrote to me about a site that's friendly, where opinions are respected, people are knowledgeable and I can actually improve as a person and a fan of the NBA. Knowing him for sometime, I trusted him.. and on 15th of June, I signed up to the site. I've never looked back ever since. I'd like to thank Nick C, my older basketball brother, for acknowledging the potential in this site and what it would do to me.. because he did me quite a favor.

If it's possible, one day I'd like to meet him. Who knows.... one day, we just might.

Favorite things: Movie. Basketball player. Color. Food. What makes you happy?

Favorite Movie: Too many to mention.. but Dark Knight trilogy, Lord of the Rings trilogy and Bourne trilogy with Matt Damon among the others.

Favorite Basketball Player: I've got too many... Wall, Irving, James, Duncan, Rose, Wade are just some of my favorite players of today. As for all time, The Diesel, Nate The Great, A-Train, Big O, Magic, Captain Sky Hook, Logo, Baylor, Moncrief and so on.

Favorite Food: Lasagna.

What makes me happy? When I'm doing well at the things that I do... and the things that I do as of now are basketball and school.

And lastly...

Shout out to every member of H-N... keep up the good work and I love you all.

Oh... and don't forget

#SashaForAdmin2013

Personal note.

If I had to pass a torch of basketball knowledge, I'd pass it to Darko. On all accounts I've actually got to see him literally grow as a person and as a basketball fan. Someone never scared to be wrong, because... well... he's usually right. Ha!

But really, he is someone who doesn't act like they know it all and is always learning. That is the secret that I passed to him so many years ago. You never stop learning. You never get caught up in numbers. Dig deep for information and don't go off of other people's opinions. The game has a story to tell, and if you listen and watch, you'll understand the game better than anyone else.

In a lot of ways he has done it better than I ever did.

Indeed, the Future looks bright.
  • Nina Barklartey, Penny, Djoker and 10 others like this

tumblr_n1qg2tQncc1svefdfo2_r2_500.gif

nehruviandoom-logo-6.png

#2 OFFLINE   Young Gee

Young Gee

Idol

• Members
  • 12,903 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

The Future is a class act. I have a lot of respect for him
  • Nina Barklartey, Saint Nick C and The Future like this

tumblr_n4v5gpX7NQ1rtequ6o1_500.gif

russell-westbrook-3-and-strut-game-4-aga

#3 OFFLINE   Swish

Swish

***NBA IN MTL***

• Members
  • 33,977 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 12:58 PM

The Future... damn what a member

When you read his posts and realize he has so much NBA knowledge, you think the guy is 30-40 years old but he's only like 17 lol

demar_derozan_signature_by_egbdesign-d4z

#4 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• Members
  • 24,088 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Wow... so, Nick knows Darko since Darko was 10-11??
Damn...

That's sweet but to the point...

I enjoyed the interview (as every interview, lol) and I have to agree with Nick that Darko doesn't act like he knows everything and I'd add that he's not in fear of losing a debate or something like that and he ackowledges when the other guy has a point.
He also never seems to get mad and lose his temper. I don't know if sometimes he just manages to contain his anger but, yeah.

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#5 OFFLINE   Dwyane wheezY™

Dwyane wheezY™

respect

• Members
  • 3,215 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:50 PM

I love you Darko
  • Nina Barklartey and The Future like this

iw87yaqpsciq.png

#6 OFFLINE   Charles

Charles

:: Legendary ::

• Members
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Really good interview, I enjoyed the read. The Future seems like a pretty cool guy, haven't really got to talk to him yet but I look forward to it.

GSL: Thunder GM || HNL: Co-Co-Co-Co Comish (nostutter)

#7 OFFLINE   The Future

The Future

#RipCity #brehsquad

• Global Moderators
  • 26,534 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Love you all!

Brilliant work Nick. On the spot on every point.

BTW, I clearly have forgotten about sending that mail.

But yeah... five years... it's a really long time. I was so lucky to have someone like you giving me advice and I just stuck by them.
  • Nina Barklartey and Costel like this

bGmrLYl.gif

#8 ONLINE   Pusha Key

Pusha Key

• Members
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

Darko is GOAT doe
hey.

#9 OFFLINE   Ivan

Ivan

yeah I'm tryna turn this into somethin

• Members
  • 7,645 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:32 PM

Brilliant Interview
  • The Future likes this

tumblr_mg2idy46Fa1qithsbo1_500.gif

#10 OFFLINE   The Future

The Future

#RipCity #brehsquad

• Global Moderators
  • 26,534 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Darko is GOAT doe

Behind Keandre :cool:

bGmrLYl.gif

#11 ONLINE   Pusha Key

Pusha Key

• Members
  • 13,782 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

Behind Keandre :cool:

:->
  • The Future likes this
hey.

#12 OFFLINE   Saint Nick C

Saint Nick C

I'M A BOOZER

• Members
  • 7,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Love you all!

Brilliant work Nick. On the spot on every point.

BTW, I clearly have forgotten about sending that mail.

But yeah... five years... it's a really long time. I was so lucky to have someone like you giving me advice and I just stuck by them.

Thank you sir.

You made it easy.

tumblr_n1qg2tQncc1svefdfo2_r2_500.gif

nehruviandoom-logo-6.png

#13 OFFLINE   *RUDY*

*RUDY*

Save the kings KJ

• Banned
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I remember "DARKO" lol. I don't know if he remembers my old sn on "YAHOO", but he gave me a few "BA" when I first started on yahoo in 2009 and yes he's a very knowledgeable user when it comes to NBA/basketball.

#14 OFFLINE   Raza 10

Raza 10

Purrrr

• Members
  • 7,827 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

I remember I always used to make fun of Darko on DST :nahnahna:

Now I have nothing but respect for him.
  • Nina Barklartey, The Future and like this

#15 OFFLINE   Nina Barklartey

Nina Barklartey

Bernard King 2.0

• Members
  • 5,931 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

Darko,
You and Nick are two of my absolute favorites H-N Members and writers-
I have so much respect for the two of you-
I learn so much from you and to be honest, I strive to earn the respect of men like you : )

I am a little distracted today and only made it through part of this incredible piece-
I want to give this entire project the respect that it deserves...

So "I will be back"...

:okay:
  • The Future likes this
Why do you love this game? :dribble:

#16 OFFLINE   The Future

The Future

#RipCity #brehsquad

• Global Moderators
  • 26,534 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

On a serious note... you did? Doesn't matter...

Same here. What happened to Cavs fan... that dude was funny

I remember "DARKO" lol. I don't know if he remembers my old sn on "YAHOO", but he gave me a few "BA" when I first started on yahoo in 2009 and yes he's a very knowledgeable user when it comes to NBA/basketball.

I don't remember you from Y/A. What was your user name there?

bGmrLYl.gif

#17 OFFLINE   Raza 10

Raza 10

Purrrr

• Members
  • 7,827 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

It wasn't really like "I-hate-you-go-die" kind of making fun, like the joking/trolling kind lol
  • The Future likes this

#18 OFFLINE   *RUDY*

*RUDY*

Save the kings KJ

• Banned
  • 5,337 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:16 PM

You know what I don't even remember. I think it was "JORDAN" at first then i changed it to "SACTOWNKINGS". This was before my "avidnesskingsfan or AVID sn"

Here's a link of my old account asking a question about the 2009 NBA draft

http://answers.yahoo...04020610AAD7qXT

#19 OFFLINE   The Future

The Future

#RipCity #brehsquad

• Global Moderators
  • 26,534 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

It wasn't really like "I-hate-you-go-die" kind of making fun, like the joking/trolling kind lol

:okay:

You know what I don't even remember. I think it was "JORDAN" at first then i changed it to "SACTOWNKINGS". This was before my "avidnesskingsfan or AVID sn"

Here's a link of my old account asking a question about the 2009 NBA draft

http://answers.yahoo...04020610AAD7qXT

I'm more familiar with "avidnesskingsfan" that user name.

Yeah.. we were OK.

bGmrLYl.gif

#20 ONLINE   Jay

Jay

On The Rise

• Members
  • 19,447 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

You were a [expletive deleted] to me as well.. I think you owe me and Darko an apology pls :/

rsz_shraddha-kapoor-eyes.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users