Kevin McHale
Michael Cooper
Ricky Pierce
Vinnie Johnson
Detlef Schrempf
Tony Kukoc
Manu Ginobili
Jason Terry

Might even throw in there guys like Walton, Harden or Odom, had one great season as a 6th man. Also I think Eddie Johnson (more than 19000 with less than 500 starts) is one of the guys with most points scored off the bench.

Might be forgetting some other dudes also...

Rank the top 5

30mxxyo.jpg 33 3ub9c.jpg

#2 OFFLINE   *RUDY*

*RUDY*

Save the kings KJ

• HN Members
  • 4,911 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:07 AM

Agreed with your list

Corliss williamson was a good sixth man for the pistons. Even helped them win a ring in 04.

Bobby Jackson was our energy spark plug during the kings Cwebb days. Maybe I'm being biased on this one, but he had so many games where he would go on a hot streak and his off the bench performance continued with Memphis.

Both Jamal Crawford/JR Smith played the sixth man most of their careers. The only notable team I know Crawford started for was the bulls because Jay williams wasn't performing all that great and I remember they started Crawford at the point guard. That's why I always considered Crawford the ultimate sixth man in the current NBA. JR Smith wasn't always that consistent during his nuggets years , but he would go on a hot streak at times with Denver. Both players are playing some of their best bsaketball this season.

I know there are a few others , but I'm kind of light headed right now. Sorry I didn't answer your question. I'll post the top 5 tomorrow. I'm just adding on to your list lol.

• Bball_Jones likes this

#3 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• 23,115 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Obviously, the best sixth man was Hondo and I'd put Cunningham at #2.

Now it's hard though.

Many players deserving of the top 5.

I will exclude Detlef because in his sixth man years he wasn't as good and as productive as in his starting years. Kukoc and Terry were pretty one-way players and Johnson doesn't have a better case than all those guys IMO.

My list would look like this:

1. John Havlicek

2. Billy Cunningham

3. Manu Ginobili

4. Kevin McHale

5. Bobby Jones

I believe there is no explanation needed for the first two choices.

For #3, I'd normally choose McHale who's obviously the better player than Ginobili, but I gave it to Manu because of his all-around game, his consistent high level play and his longevity on that role (sixth man). Putting McHale at #3 would be reasonable as well despite being a sixth man for far less seasons.

And for #5 I had to choose between Jones, Cooper and Fred Brown. I excluded Brown because he was one dimensional (?) in contrast to the other two.

Between Bobby and Cooper I valued Jones' better two-way game and I chose him. Both were pretty impactful with their defense and hustle. It can go either way.

• Bball_Jones likes this

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

#4 OFFLINE   Bball_Jones

Bball_Jones

baddest dribbler in the whole neighborhood

• HN Members
  • 4,519 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

Guys like Fred Brown, Eddie Johnson or Vinny Johnson get underrated but a 6th man that gets extremely underrated (not saying he's in my top 5) is Ricky Pierce, terrific shooter, smart, strong and great scorer. In 1990 he scored 23 PPG off the bench on 51/35/84, while "only" playing 29 MPG.

Bulls playing somewhat of "half-a**ed" defense on him first, he goes off and then nobody could stop him
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NeKOyjP7e8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWFp22tEpOQ

Obviously, the best sixth man was Hondo and I'd put Cunningham at #2.

Now it's hard though.

Many players deserving of the top 5.

I will exclude Detlef because in his sixth man years he wasn't as good and as productive as in his starting years. Kukoc and Terry were pretty one-way players and Johnson doesn't have a better case than all those guys IMO.

My list would look like this:

1. John Havlicek

2. Billy Cunningham

3. Manu Ginobili

4. Kevin McHale

5. Bobby Jones

I believe there is no explanation needed for the first two choices.

For #3, I'd normally choose McHale who's obviously the better player than Ginobili, but I gave it to Manu because of his all-around game, his consistent high level play and his longevity on that role (sixth man). Putting McHale at #3 would be reasonable as well despite being a sixth man for far less seasons.

And for #5 I had to choose between Jones, Cooper and Fred Brown. I excluded Brown because he was one dimensional (?) in contrast to the other two.

Between Bobby and Cooper I valued Jones' better two-way game and I chose him. Both were pretty impactful with their defense and hustle. It can go either way.

Well put.
Yeah my top 5 would probably have those 5 guys also.

• TeoTheGreek13 likes this

30mxxyo.jpg 33 3ub9c.jpg

#5 OFFLINE   TeoTheGreek13

TeoTheGreek13

Basketballholic

• 23,115 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 12:50 PM

@Bball_Jones

Yeah, I admit I haven't watched those guys play, not even their highlights, so I'm happy you agree with my list since you've seen them play.

• Bball_Jones likes this

★★★Panathinaikos BC★★★

Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users