Rajon Rondo told the N.B.A. on Thursday that he felt he had not done “anything dirty” and that his altercation with the Nets’ Kris Humphries on Wednesday night was no more than “a pushing war.”
The N.B.A. did not see it that way and announced that Rondo would be suspended two games. It was Rondo’s third suspension in less than 10 months, and the prevailing thought was that he would get at least three games, perhaps five. The lead official, James Capers, said Rondo was the undisputed instigator in the fracas,which involved several players. The 6-foot Rondo shoved the 6-foot-9 Humphries after Humphries fouled Kevin Garnett. Humphries was called for a technical for contact after the whistle.
Garnett was fined $25,000 and the Nets’ Gerald Wallace $35,000 for their roles in the melee.“I thought the play on Kevin was a malicious play,” Rondo said Thursday at theCeltics’ practice facility before the suspension was handed down. “I got hurt last year on a similar play — a guy going up in the air, defenseless, on his way down. I just pushed Humphries. I didn’t try to start a riot. I don’t think it was more than a pushing war.”